Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 2:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

To Gi or NOT to Gi.....lame, I know, But.....

I believe, as do a lot of the posters here, that your art has to evolve with changing times and adapt or be adapted to the time it is being applied or used to ensure that you are at least on the road to effectiveness, i.e., why the **** would you practice Katana defense when your typical Joe "Bag-o-doughnuts" is not going to be wielding a Katana like Connar McLoed.

This led me to the question, why must I wear a Gi? What is the point? and what good would a vast mental library of gi-dependant techniques do for me on th3 str33t.

Reasons for wearing the Gi vary depending on who you ask.....

Sifu WhatsHisFace may pull the "tradition" card and say that that is what the tibetan monks wore, blah, blah, blah......

or

Shidoshi Tanaka from Bloodsport may pull the "budo" card and say its Japanese tradition and a true warrior would humble himself to the simple Gi and honor the practice.

or

Similarly, McSensei may say that the psychological affect it has on a students self-perception and need to "fit in" is beneficial to his/her "martial training", and McSensei’s wallet because his Gi comes emblazoned with a fire breathing dragon being attacked by Ryu from street fighter.

or

Sensei may pull the "comfort", "freedom", and "durability" card and say that the movements performed and punishment on clothing caused by practice require freedom of movement and a durable uniform.

Being a grappler I definitely agree with option four. A tee shirt takes a beating and is fairly useless after even a light randori session. BUT from a grappler's perspective, I don't want to get dependant on a gi techniques to assist me in submission attempts or in solidifying my base and controlling an opponent........

Most world class grapplers can apparently transition OK to Gi-less MMA or submission grappling (with Machado's pounding at the hands of Trigg being an exception).

Are we holding on to the gi at the cost of effectiveness and realistic application of technique? Should a grappler/BJJ practitioner transition out of the gi to be a more effective fighter or else be limited to BJJ competitions only? Would Judo die without a Gi?

What about other styles? I can only speak from a grappler's standpoint but it seems the gi is an unnecessary anchor to TMA tradition that could hold up the meaningful evolution of many arts.

What do ya think, gi or no gi?

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 2:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am of the opinion that gi training makes your defense better and nogi training makes your offense better. A well rounded martial artist should do both imo.

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 2:39pm

Style: TKD, Gaijin Ryu Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GH, the problem is you live in florida. thus, it's too hot for anyone to wear a jacket. if you lived in an area that gets below 70 F on a regular basis you would see taht people wear jackets. gi training is essentially cold weather training.

while no gi training, especially without a shirt on, is basically for training to fight on a beach and at pools. also can come in handy if you get in a fight at the gym, if you train in a underarmor type shirt.

so there's your answer, it's all entirely climate based.

...what?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 2:49pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can choke somebody by the collar of his gi, you can choke somebody by the collar of his polo shirt :toothy3:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris