Posted On:
    4/10/2006 1:18pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Three questions about DFW MA schools

Greetings...

First question, can anyone give me some recommendations on some good solid MA schools in the DFW--or more specifically, the Fort Worth--area?

Second, I have some interest in taijutsu and I've found a Genbukan dojo in my area, Can anyone comment on this school or on Genbukan itself? I'm interested in the koryu bujutsu more than the 'ninja' thing.

Third, I have a bit of 7 Star Praying Mantis under my belt and a bit of Judo, both of which I enjoyed, but can anyone recommend a MA I can find locally that will contain some serious sparring, but that isn't devoted to sport fighting (though could be applied I suppose), which also contains solid locks for 'apprehension/defense' and what not. So far, I've been considering checking into the taijutsu school I mentioned, some local Jeet Kune Do schools (comments?), and possibly some american kenpo schools (comments?).

Thanks for any help!

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 1:21pm

Style: boxing, gjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    txmma.com has a listing of schools, however alot are mma/sport based. But they do have the hard sparring you want.

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 1:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I should also mention how it would be helpful if I found a school with fees under $60 a month. Seems like most of the mma schools think highly of themselves and charge a huge fee. I'd be happy with a club or group, as long as I could get some good serious instruction.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 2:03pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want some serious sparing and under 60 a month, look around for good judo school (unless you concider that sport). For the most part you are going to find it hard to find a school that does serious sparing that is not a sport fighting school. It is possible, but its hard to do. Sense you have previous judo exp, you should know what to look for in a judo school. Plus judo is a great art and lends itself well into sport fighting and self defense.

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 11:12pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Dallas judo dojo is reportedly very good; check them out.

If I ever get the time I plan on driving up there to train. They do lots of randori.
    --
    L.

Banished to Fort Worth

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 1:00am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lots of top notch fighters in DFW. "solid locks" and "serious sparring" are easy to find.

Travis lutter is IN Fort Worth. www.travislutter.com .

In Dallas you'll find Guy Mezger, www.guymezger.com , who'll make you start in his fundamentals class on Sundays.

Carlos Machado, www.carlosmachado.net , is the highest ranked BJJ BB in the state.

I'm not sure you'll be able to get a rate under $60/mo from any of them. They, like many other successful professional fighters, charge rates commensurate with their ability and the demand for their instruction. Not sure if they "think highly of themselves", but I think pretty highly of them as fighters (don't know Travis or Carlos, but Guy is pretty cool, too).

You might also check out Felipe at www.dallasjiujitsu.com , or JD Shelly at www.ndbjj.com . JD offers three free classes IIRC, and I think Felipe is relatively inexpensive.

As 1bad65 mentioned, one of the best resources for training info in Texas is www.txmma.com . Posting this question there (or preferably, using the search function first) should net you a lot of info.

Dave
    Last edited by sdave; 4/11/2006 1:16am at .

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 1:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would have to say Judo too.

If all you wanna spend is $60- per month then you can't go wrong with Judo. Its a fantastic grappling art. You'll get just about all the grappling you need with it. The sad truth is most MMA or BJJ schools charge about $100- per month. Which is why I went with Judo.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 5:00pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And if it's Genbukan you want, go ask at http://www.e-budo.com. Some of the moderators there are high-ranking Texas Genbukan instructors.

But go with the judo. :)
    --
    L.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 7:32am

Style: BJJ blue belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can give another plug for Travis lutter (www.travislutter.com). I go there and it is a GREAT school, we just had 2 studends take 1st place in there divisions in the Pan Ams, and if you know what that is you'll know that means alot.

Travis is not at all full of himself but the classes are more than 60/month(and I don't know any school in the area that isn't crap that charges that low). He has classes 7 days a week, morning and evening, and everone has unlimited classes, no lame 2 day a week deals.

I don't think you will join with what you seem interested in and the way you mention "sport fighters", Taijutsu, and "apprehension/defense locks" but maybe someone else will read this and come check it out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2006 6:34pm

Style: Ninpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey there,

Who exactly were you planning on training with concerning the Genbukan? Greg Caplinger is the only one actually in Dallas, and if I remember correctly, he's teaching mainly KJJR the Genbukan's jujutsu system. His teacher, George Kohler, is out in Melissa, not too far of a drive and well worth it. PM me if you want more details or go over to E-budo and contact Mr. Kohler, he's a Mod. There is also a dojo in Ft. Worth but I don't know much about the teacher, I think it's a relatively new school.

Good luck.

Tommy Nash
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast