Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 1:20pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A couple of the Booj guys I spar with (yes, Virginia, they do exist) refer to him as Richard Van Doink.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 2:41pm

Style: FMA & judo-ultra noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arahoushi
    Great. Now all FMAists have to worry about claims of RVD having "t3h r34l k4li..."
    Yeah. One of the benefits of having a pretty obscure art is you can basically not have to worry about two many pretenders like this. But unfortunately with it becoming more and more widespread as Filipino instructors open their doors it's only going to get worse. Oh well. I guess you take the bad with the good.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 8:54pm

supporting member
     Style: na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    The FMA mail order thing raises two big questions for me personally

1) Are RVD's credentials in the art he is claiming to teach legit and recognized (and thus verifiable) by other people trained in the art?

2) How accurate does the material on his mail order system reflect the art he is claming to teach?

3) What kind of a dipshit sets themselves up as a salesman for enlightenment?

Okay, that last one if more general, but I think you get my drift.

The same questions can be asked for his other mailorder ninaj materials. In that case, yes his credentials are from the only person capable of giving those particular credentials though others trained in the same art question his actual qualifications and the overall accuracy of his mail order training is the subject of much damning with faint praise and outright warning to be avoided by those familiar with the material.

Oh yeah, and he's a dipshit for trying to sell enlightenment.

In related news it seems another saleman for elightenment with Bujinkan, connections, Glenn Morris, recently passed away. Check out his "Hoshinroshin ryu" materials sometime for a pass through Newage Bullshido and Whitey Qi Gong.
    This is the common theme among most of the BJK in the US. Hoban, Prather, Van Donk, Legare, Millis and a few others all have these enlightenment programs. You can become a warrior/monk/whatever for a buncha cash and your undying loyalty to his worship.
    The sad thing is, a lot of the senior guys that don't participate in the enlightenment crap cults, push the same rhetoric in their classes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 9:49pm

Style: Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jack Hoban

I am not sure I would lump Jack Hoban in with those other guys. He is not really an "enlightenment" sort of guy. He has the Robert Humphries stuff but, to my knowledge, that is just sort of a framework he uses to structure some things where the Bujinkan may fall short for American students.

It may not be everyone's cup o' tea, but he isn't telling people they will be able to see auras (or sparks) and be shaman and what not. I am also unaware of him charging exhorbitant amounts of cash for training. Compared to some BJJ and kickboxing gyms (particularly Gracie), Bujinkan training is usually pretty inexpensive and very few teachers I know make enough to break even on rental space. There are some exceptions out there, though (as noted).

Some of those other guys, yes, they have the enlightenment stuff and can push it quite hard on people. I just ignore it and them. I know why I train in the Bujinkan and I just focus on that. Most of the people I resepect in the organization seem to have a similar mindset.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 9:35am

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the record I don't actually have a problem with people claiming a certain attainment of enlightenment within the context of Buddhist practice. While there is a lot of hinky nonsense that goes on with some lineages most have a pretty significant set of checks and balances upon people making such claims and if the attainment is recognized I'm fine with it. In those contexts enlightenment relates to certain modes of awareness, some objective some subjective, and doesn't hold the same kind of connotations most non-Buddhists attribute to the term nor is it a claim to any particular powers, etc.

What boggles my mind are self-styled enlightened masters who then go on to create "pay as you go" modes of enlightenment training they learned out of books and in most cases never bothered to practice themselves. In that regard folks like Van Donk, the late Glenn Morris and Stephen Hayes raise my ire.

Some of these folks even have lineage connections, or claims to them, but their approach to the topic is so blatantly hucksterish that it screams fraud. What's worse is that they attempt to paint the Takamatsuden Arts as somehow being inherently "enlightened martial arts" which is nonsense. When they start adding magical powers into the routine it just becomes completely absurd.

From my own limited experiences with Jack Hoban I wouldn't lump him into the same class of huckster. His interest seems to be in cultivating a sense of honor and duty among the people who study with him with his interest in things like "warriorship." If I run into him again I may have to get his take on the Seago throat ripper story. Assuming the general outline of the story is true, if I were to guess he simply nicked the top of the guy's esophogus with his nails. It's an unpleasent experience as any sword swallower will tell you, but not as extreme as Seago tried to make it seem.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 10:25am

Style: Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For those who don't know: "De Cuerdas" is a very simple style of escrima, that also exists in other more comprehensive escrima systems.

There are no "secrets" in the style.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 10:28am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These are REAL belts and you will have to EARN them.
    Damn, I just wanted a fake certificate I could post on my wall. Who actually wants to work for their martial prowess...
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 8:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bushindo.com
    Warrior names: Kofukuryu (Happy Dragon), Mr. Happy & Yee Ha by Soke Hatsumi.
    Isn't that what cowboys say ?

Registered Member

Manhattan Beach, California, United States

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 12:41pm

Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    A couple of the Booj guys I spar with (yes, Virginia, they do exist) refer to him as Richard Van Doink.
    And Australians call him Dicky VD

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 12:47pm

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    Damn, I just wanted a fake certificate I could post on my wall. Who actually wants to work for their martial prowess...
    Don't you just accumulate belt degrees in Ninja per year after your first one? Like, 6 years as a ninja black belt equals six degrees of ninja stupidity.

Ninjas are funny.:ninja2:
    Luchadors however are much funnier!

TKD
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast