Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 12:01pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been wondering about Van Donk's FMA credentials for a while myself. Anyone around here know enough about FMA history/lineage/etc. to give it a deeper look?

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 12:33pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Donk
    DeCuerdas Eskrima is one of the deadliest close in blade fighting systems in the world. The true system was kept secret and handed down family to family.
    The late Grandmaster Tenio openly taught a mixture of 19 Eskrima systems keeping the core of the teachings secret. Tenio passed down the true teachings to Master Van Donk who is now revealing them in a step by step, level by level teaching format that is both a direct how to instruction and also in a dojo setting the art of DeCuerdas Eskrima.
    So basically, he's claiming that only he learned the secret true core of the system. Unverifiable by other instructors in DeCuerdas because supposedly they didn't learn the true secrets, only the vanilla mix the GM Tenio taught to them. :bduh:

Do we really need to investigate this? If it looks, smells and feels like bullshido...

Aloha, Poi
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 12:41pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wagamichi
    Being in the Bujinkan makes some one legit?

Bujinkan have some legit lineage (whether Hatsumi really the grandmaster is another story). So they means their legit, not that their good, just legit.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz
    Nah, that was Jack Hoban, not RVD.

RVD's just kind of a dingus. The only useful thing he's done is the translation work on things like _Togakure-ryu Ninpo Taijutsu_ and the esoteric Buddhism material.

Interesting that he's pulling a Stephen Hayes and trying to sell enlightenment now under the banner Bushindo.
    Yep you're right. I got my Ninjers mixed up.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 12:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Virus
    Being in the Bujinkan, yes I've heard of him. Mostly through smack talk from my training mates. My instrcutor says he's wacked out, possibly mentally ill and when my instructor was standing next to him in Japan, watching Hatsumi demonstrate, Donk turned to him and said "Did you see the sparks coming out of Hatsumi's fingers?" My sensei said "No" then DVD (Dick Van Donk) said "Oh, that's right. You can't see them." I know a guy who has one of his training videos, he said it sucks. (mind you I don't know what his criteria for "suck" is.)

Edited to add: OMG I just went to his website, has been updated and I just read about that "I'm Jesus the alien psychic healer" stuff. If he really belives all that then he's a very disturbed individual.
    Wow I knew he was nuts, He been quoted a fwe time claimed to be the mystical warrior, but that one is new. And his training videos really do suck.

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 12:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Collar
    Ah, but I did do a little research before posting, His involvement in FMA wasn't something that was brought to the forefront. Kindly read the while post before pushing the insult button, fucktard. (I owed you that one, no backsies.)
    Damn. No backsies.

What's really shocking to me is that there are people that are still so enamored with the the "mystical ninja" that this weirdo can actually make a living at this. Is this a simple case of marketing genius or just somebody preying on the unknowing public?
    As said in this thread and been said before, he is not right in the head.

Being part of bujinkan with a cetrifiacte from Hatsumi certainly does not mean someone isn't bullshido. I've heard some first hand accounts of pay-ola concerning Hatsumi. For the right amount of money you can have whatever certificate you want.
    McDojo != Bullshido. What you just decrisibed is McDojo behavior. If he is claimed he was the grandmaster of Koto Ryu, which he isn't that would make the him Bullshido (oh wait Hastumi claims that but doesn't have the scrolls, Tanaka Fumon Does....hmmmmm)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 12:49pm

Style: Liu Seong Kuntao, Baguazh

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by poidog
    So basically, he's claiming that only he learned the secret true core of the system. Unverifiable by other instructors in DeCuerdas because supposedly they didn't learn the true secrets, only the vanilla mix the GM Tenio taught to them. :bduh:

Do we really need to investigate this? If it looks, smells and feels like bullshido...

Aloha, Poi
    Well, no we don't really have to investigate this. Van Dork's FMA connection is just another learn-by-mail scam. It just seems like we should make an effort to expose him as a BS artist as opposed to a martial artist.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 1:17pm

Style: Judo, Tomiki Aikido, ??

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The FMA mail order thing raises two big questions for me personally

1) Are RVD's credentials in the art he is claiming to teach legit and recognized (and thus verifiable) by other people trained in the art?

2) How accurate does the material on his mail order system reflect the art he is claming to teach?

3) What kind of a dipshit sets themselves up as a salesman for enlightenment?

Okay, that last one if more general, but I think you get my drift.

The same questions can be asked for his other mailorder ninaj materials. In that case, yes his credentials are from the only person capable of giving those particular credentials though others trained in the same art question his actual qualifications and the overall accuracy of his mail order training is the subject of much damning with faint praise and outright warning to be avoided by those familiar with the material.

Oh yeah, and he's a dipshit for trying to sell enlightenment.

In related news it seems another saleman for elightenment with Bujinkan, connections, Glenn Morris, recently passed away. Check out his "Hoshinroshin ryu" materials sometime for a pass through Newage Bullshido and Whitey Qi Gong.

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 1:17pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great. Now all FMAists have to worry about claims of RVD having "t3h r34l k4li..."
    --
    L.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 1:19pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD ASIA
    Yep you're right. I got my Ninjers mixed up.
    Don't you just hate it when that happens?

Fucking ninja...
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast