Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 2:27pm

Style: looking for new style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Jiu-Fa Men Kung Fu

Hope this hasn't been posted before...

Anyway, some people here may have heard of Chris Crudelli, he's the guy that was on the BBC series 'Mind Body and Kick Ass Moves' and this website:
    http://www.kungfuscience.org/site.asp

I read about him a while ago on that kung fu science site and found the link to his own website. It seems he has his own Kung Fu style called 'Jiu-Fa Men Kung Fu'. Apparently "It's an amalgamation of everything I learnt while studying in the mountains of China,".
    You can read about it here:
    http://www.crudelli.com/jiufamenkungfu.php

This makes me wonder about how useful it is:
    '9 Method Boxing is an art for martialists; it is not a sport geared for use in the ring or on the competition mats.'
    'As a style, we place greatest emphasis on learning in the traditional Chinese fashion, i.e. by the drilling of simple forms and techniques until the student can actually use the skills practically.'
    No mention of sparring apart from 'tiger sparring' whatever the **** that is.
    Theres a lot of mention of Chi/Qi too:
    'detection of malignant Qi, transference of Qi, further bone and tendon Qi gong and joint washing Qi, Spine Qi Gong and rooting skill.'

Theres a bit more information about it in an article by some silly **** that went to train at his club here:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/ma...hmartial09.xml

These made me laugh;
    'but this is a man who can put his hand through a kerbstone and move people without actually touching them (he uses that all-important chi). His reputation is such that he has been described as one of the top ten martial arts practioners alive today'

'Crudelli puts us in pairs and teaches us how to disarm a knife-wielding attacker with a smack to the wrist, and what to do if a gun is held to our heads'

Anyway, there's a weird claim made by Crudelli in that article;
    "Putting cold water inside a hot body is not good for your chi," he tells me. "And it's about discipline. My master used to make me train for ten hours, and at the end he'd give me a cup of boiling water to drink."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 4:13pm

Style: Basic Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watched all the 'Mind Body and Kick Ass Moves' series on DVD, thinking this Curdelli was some brummy that wanted to expose all the crap and bullshit in the TMAs.
    The more I watched him do simple magicians tricks, dumb ki/ch'i simulations, melon-chopping etc, the more I realised he was happy for people to believe in this complete twaddle.

In one episode he went to the great wall of china to meet some guy, one of the 'jing-wu men' fighters. This guy was full of energy, happy, keen to train and had the wierdest ways of generating 'power'. He would've been bashed about by a competent boxer, but he had great youthful enery, despite being about 40 I guess. Respect. He toughened his face up by punching it himself. Cool.
    (No respect for the fat lazy Crudelli)

Most of the rest of the DVDs were stupid 'shaolin' bullshido, ninjas, crappy hong kong kung fu movie stuff, etc.

The GOOD martial artists were a couple of old guys in the philippines (I forget the names right now).
    Best advice from those hard old men : "attack first".
    Worst advice : "wear aprons with scriptures/prayers written on them to avoid the curses of the enemy, and melt poisonous spiders onto newly forged knife-blades."
    I gues you can't have everything.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 4:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Found a quote on the first page of his website :
    " "Sadly, I've been mugged in the Philippines, Mongolia, Malaysia - rough places off the beaten track. And I was robbed with a machete once in Thailand.""

Yeah, dufus !

Every time he tries to do something physical on the DVDs, he looks like some clumsy drunkard. Absolutely useless. And he believes his own stinking crap.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 4:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh no, from the same telegraph article ;
    "Crudelli puts us in pairs and teaches us how to disarm a knife-wielding attacker with a smack to the wrist, and what to do if a gun is held to our heads "

...errr.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 4:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Coming Up:
    Watch out for Chris on the following shows:
    Ann Robinson's "Whats the problem?"
    Sky One's "Star Trek Review""

Star-Trek ?? What a surprise... the guy's a moron.
    (Well, OK, he's not a moron in the sense that he persuaded some TV company to fund him for this series, which I enjoyed. But he IS a moron !)

Thank you Mr Han, for allowing me to get this bile off my chest,
    maybe out of my gut, whichever.

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 6:12pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was mb...akam show outside the uk? I suspect crudelli would be roasted alive here.

Spent years training with a old chinese master in the mountains of china......check

uses chi to manipulate people and their actions.....check

presenting dr ting as a credibile martial artist.....check

pimping cma and tma exclusively........ check

Perpetuated myths about the glorious too deadly techniques of tma.....check

tho he did do some scientific tests in new series kick ass miracles and his chi tricks worked- and more importantly he knew they were tricks and was pretty open about it-except with those he performed on. There was that bit in china about trickery and vagrant arts, psychology, good physical technique etc.

In his defense, I always thought of him as a cheeky bastard trying to travel the world again on the bbc payroll and making at the very least entertaining television. I also think he has no illusions about chi etc- but loves the fact other people do to death. Really loves it. Taking the piss and full advantage at every opportunity. Showed some cool stuff too- old school kenjutsu, that crazy karate guy and how the magic chi tricks were fake. Original PT kali in native setting, thai boxing in thailand, various police force training (Taiwans had kung fu that looked like it had, dare i say it effective training methods) I'd recommend watching the show- with a pinch of salt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 8:16pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jing-Wu Mun? Isn't that the school of KF from Fist of Legend with Jet Li?

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 8:34pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apparently a sect of martial artists in china that practice a hard form tai-chi and guard the wall of china.

Pretty wierd guy representing. Techniques were by and large too secret to show on tv.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 10:19pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Han

Anyway, there's a weird claim made by Crudelli in that article;
    "Putting cold water inside a hot body is not good for your chi," he tells me. "And it's about discipline. My master used to make me train for ten hours, and at the end he'd give me a cup of boiling water to drink."
    Tell genius here that its not his "chi" thats being disturbed- its fucking science

Drinking warm water when dehydrated is actually more beneficial than drinking cold water. Even though one may feel that hes overheating and cold water should help cool him down, this is not the case. Your body can use the water only when its elevated to the proper temperature (the temperature of your body). What this means is that your body has to use energy and calories to warm up the cold water you drink. Drinking warm water closer to your body temperature will help save a few calories to be used for elsewhere.

Chi......:jerkit2yf

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2006 4:47am

Style: Bujinkan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ive watched the whole mind body and kick ass moves series and its entertaining but seems to be aimed at the martial art noob audience.
    nothing wrong with that but quite a few times he hints that hes a master of kung fu and the narrator even goes so far as too call him a master a few times, who knows his credentials really but he definately doesnt move like a master.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast