Thread: good school

Style
    yang taichi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

good school

Does anybody know about good schools in Atlanta? I was a little discouraged when I came across a street ninja class at a fitness center.

Style
    BJJ and MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Atlanta has some good jiujitsu schools. try mma.tv/schools. It should help you find what you are looking for,

Style
    Budo Taijutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Francis Fong

Sifu Francis Fong used to run a martial arts academy in Atlanta back in the late 80's. It could very well be that it is no longer there. The academy taught wing chun, muay thai, and kali.

If my memory serves me, Maurice Smith may have been a student at that academy at that time. Unless there was another bald black guy named maurice who was on his way to the pros.

When I was in Atlanta, sifu Fong was partly responsible for two thai coaches coming for a couple of years. Mr. Patanachat (sp?) and Mr. Utinah (sp?) both taught muay thai classes at Emory University for PE credit with sponsorship by a Prof. Thomas. They then taught Muay Thai at the academy in the evenings.

I took the PE class and trained with students at the academy, who were friends. Everything I saw in them demonstrated quality training at the time.

Style
    Budo Taijutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

School website

Here is the website to Sifu Francis Fong's school:
    HTML Code:
    http://www.francisfongacademy.com/index.html

It looks like they now have BJJ in their curriculum, but I don't know how good the instruction is. That was a looong time ago.

Style
    the beeg
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alliance has Manu Ntoh teaching Thai Boxing and Romero "Jacare" Cavalcanti teaching Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. The school is located off of Roswell Rd. in Sandy Springs just outside of the Perimiter.

Yes, my opinion is biased. Yes, they are still that good and you should check them out.
    Locu5
    combat sports hobbyist

Style
    Historical Fencing,ARMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your interested in European martial arts John Clements is in Dallas,Georgia ,outside Atlanta. Really good stuff!

Style
    Budo Taijutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Alliance gym does appear to be very high quality.

Style
    TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alliance is pretty good, one of the better bjj/muay thai schools around here. I actually know a guy who trained with Manu, and this guy's Thai kicks are just incredible. Velocity also is pretty solid. There are alot of smaller schools that are pretty decent. Tiger Academy is good from what I know. Several others exist. A+ Martial Arts has Omar Lira too, who's at least purple under the Gracies. Just shop around.
    Last edited by Japan Junkie; 4/10/2006 2:17am at .