Page 7 of 9 First ... 3456789 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    You know where Kata is good? Ten minutes at the end of a class as a warm down excercise. That's when I enjoy it the most.

If I had to spend hour at a time doing Kata I would quit and go somewhere else
    Sounds about right to me.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoJu - Joe
    Yamaguchi recognized that better stances and methods existed and adapted the Japanese style. However he still kept the kata at the heart of GoJu as a way of exagerating and isolating muscles, techniques and breathing.

Well done Kata is like isometric excerises. I started Pilates not to long ago and my Pilates work out looks like a Kata.
    If done properly, Sanchin is a real isometric workout. From what I can tell, Yamaguchi was devoted to Yoga, which was also an influence on Pilates.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher supporting member
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I start the morning with Sanchin.

And a cup of tea.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i gotta teach forms tonight and tomorrow night. i try to make it interesting, have a game at the end for the kids...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by broken fingers
    pardon my lateness, dont feel like reading the whole thread, but muay thai and BJJ don't do any forms that i know of, what say you about their effectiveness?
    Why don't you just admit that you're MMA kid?

Edit: Whoops, I guess you did already, sorry.

So I guess you and my brother are the only 2 Puerto Ricans in Texas.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It seems to be a No Brainer. If your goal is to be a fighter, Kata is a waste of time.
    Ypur time is better spent in the gym, or the ring.
    If TMA'S are what you are interested in learning or teaching, then Kata can be a low impact cardio workout. I do not think learning a 100 Kata's is beneficial, but a few well learned Kata can give your students the foundation of the style you teach.
    I have cut down to the 5 basic Shoto kan Kata's, but replaced the traditional stances with boxing stances and the reverse punches with Boxing punches.
    Plus Kata's give me something to do when I am bored at work.
    The only Kata's I have had any interest learning recently have been some Arnis stick forms, but would rather do live training if given a choice.
    Sharki
    Last edited by Sharki; 4/11/2006 12:34am at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pardon my ingnorance on this, but couldn't some of the drills in BJJ and MT be considered a form of kata?

In my BJJ class we do some single person and two person drills that could be considered a short kata, and to me about the right length.
    I am also a newb to the MT world, but we do drills that could be thought of as the same thing.

In Kajukenbo we do a lot of kata. Just seems to me that if they were reworked and shortened a little bit, they could be considered drills.

Just my observation.

Bry

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6
    Why don't you just admit that you're MMA kid?

Edit: Whoops, I guess you did already, sorry.

So I guess you and my brother are the only 2 Puerto Ricans in Texas.
    Who the Fudge is MMA kid? and how can your brother be Puerto Rican and you not be?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A drill is not a kata, a drill can have a varried level of resistance, kata can't. I kata is 100% pre-aranged. A drill could be armbar from mount with no resistance, to armbar from mount with 20% resistance to armbar from mount with 50% restance to all out sparing with the guy starting in mount and if you get free, you reset, if he gets a submission you reset.

Thats a lot different then kata imho.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    A drill is not a kata, a drill can have a varried level of resistance, kata can't. I kata is 100% pre-aranged. A drill could be armbar from mount with no resistance, to armbar from mount with 20% resistance to armbar from mount with 50% restance to all out sparing with the guy starting in mount and if you get free, you reset, if he gets a submission you reset.

Thats a lot different then kata imho.
    If we're speaking of two man kata as found in the Koryu arts, they definitely can have varied levels of resistance.

Page 7 of 9 First ... 3456789 Last