Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 1:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: throwing knives, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this is my first post/ I throw (no spin) and I can stick my knives deep into my wooden target from 16 ft and recintly I've tryed to hunt rabbit with little sucess
    and you are right with practice you can throw just about
    anything with a point
    Last edited by warman; 2/20/2007 1:33pm at .

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 4:25am

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No spin? Do you use the half rotation? I'd love to see your technique.

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 1:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo / Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My dad spoke of watching a buddy of his pull a hidden knife and hit a rabbit that had just broken cover. It was an underhand throw, and very fast. This was before fancy throwing knives were available everywhere. He went on to demonstrate that the underhand throw was faster than raising the knife to throw overhand. It worked for him. Maybee it depends on where you carry your knife.

To WARMAN: Keep practizin' - it will work some day and you will be shocked at how easy it will seem.

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 1:55am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bad credit

Right now in the garage I've got a bunch of old circular sawblades of various sizes painted black to stop rust. I'm gonna put up a peice of plywood and try out my super shurikens. Or serrated chakram, call 'em whatever you want.
    Plywood makes for poor target materiel.
    What do the saw blades weigh? How many are you willing to load yourself down with on a stroll?

Still, if it is for fun, that does not really matter.

Posted On:
    2/23/2007 5:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What would make a better target? 2x4s?

Oh, and there's no way I'm carrying sawblades around. I don't want to have to explain that to a cop. Heck, I thought about making my own flying guillotine (take a chakram, sharpen the inside curve, drill a hole for a chain) but there's no way to pass that off as a "self defense" weapon.

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 12:04am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2X4s? I don't know what you have available where you are, but 2x4s seem like a poor choice, if you have a choice. Use the 2x4s to make a framework for a plank (1x12) and replace the plank whenever it gets too torn up.

My favorite target was a foot thick cross section of a palm or Joshua tree that was about 2 - 2.5 feet in diameter. The wood was soft, and the tomahalk and knives stuck very well.

The problem with plywood is the lack of a wood grain that runs in the same direction. Also the resin that holds the layers togeather will dull a sharp edge. You would have to throw with enough force to put the point through the entire sheet to make it stick firmly. Bounce back from a bad throw will be a proportion of the force of the throw.

I would be intrested in what happens to a circular blade that has been forcefully thrown, but doesn't stick. Wear protective gear and let me know.

Posted On:
    2/24/2007 9:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got some old, beat up falling apart plywood sections from the side of my old TKD teacher's trailer house which was later condemned. It's pretty soft, I bet my knives and saws will stick fine. I'll let you know.

Protective gear? Pffft!

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    2/27/2007 9:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought the Ralph Thorn book awhile back and have yet to start learning his method. Much like many of the books I own... hmmmm
    Anyway, looking at the vids on his site...
    http://www.combatknifethrowing.com/i...d=13&Itemid=19
    ... I'm compelled to say that he's TEH M4N. I did a bit of research and his info was the best I'd seen, plus he had vids to back it up. Yeah it may take practice, but what the hell doesn't? If it's worth your time, that is.
    Hopefully soon, I'll get into the Thorn method (spear throw) and I'll get back.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910