Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2006 4:39pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Uconn Wa Shin Ryu

I'm probably going to end up attending University of Connecticut next year as a freshman so naturally I'm checking out the martial arts clubs. They have a Royce Gracie BJJ club there which is great, as well as some non-contact shotokan crap that I don't care to look at. I also heard they had a Judo club, so I found this site http://playlab.uconn.edu/budenkan.html but it's sort of strange.

As I look around the site, I see some odd things. Turns out it's Jujutsu, not Judo. And the guy founded his own style. The guy is 5th Dan in Judo (USJA) which is definately good. However, if you look at some of the vids, it looks like really dead training, almost like Aikido. They are really formal, do kata, have required reading about history and philosophy, talk about spiritual stuff and meditiation, and some other bs crap. However, they also do Randori, and the site says they do consider it necessary. I don't think they place a large emphasis on it though, and they seem to dislike sport fighters and combat sports. For instance, check this out http://playlab.uconn.edu/diffs.htm

However, there's this:

"Live Sparring in Distance, Close Quarter and Ground Contexts (Kumite)
    This is considered an essential component of the system in helping to prepare students for the realities of real combat and defense situations (while set routines and kata teach essential principles and technique, which is how most classical systems used to train their students), effective application requires that students be trained to apply these under relatively realistic conditions. It should be noted here that Kano's success with judo over the traditional jujutsu systems in the now famous 1886 tournament was attributed primarily to his "new" method of training judoka, which he called randori (and we call kumite). Of course the fact that atemi was prohibited in this tournament undoubtedly served to handicap the jujutsu fighters even further and helped undermine their ability to hold their own against Kano's judo students)." ( http://playlab.uconn.edu/sysprin.htm )

And this is kind of hardcore, it's like moderate contact point-based MMA http://playlab.uconn.edu/compruls.htm

But I'll end it with this extremely freaky little practice http://playlab.uconn.edu/tattoo.htm The Wa Shin Tattoo

So I'm really not sure what to think of these guys. I'm sure the instructor has skills but I don't know about the structure of the classes. Anyone have any experience with them?

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    4/08/2006 5:27pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm... sounds bullshido-ish at parts (secret tattoos you have to wear, fuzzy lineage, "too deadly" crap) and mcDojo-ish at parts as well (have to come a certain amount of times to get promoted, etc.).

I'd go with the judo or BJJ.
    --
    L.

Posted On:
    4/08/2006 5:33pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bow to your fucking SENSEI or you will have your rank stripped!

In exceptional circumstances, especially with senior ranks, a student may be stripped of rank for any of the following reasons:
    1. Dishonoring one's rank
    2. Showing lack of respect to his/her sensei and/or the system

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    4/08/2006 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come to the PSDTC. Waterbury isn't that far and we want you in ways you may that may make you uncomfortable.

Seriously, check it out: www.psdtc.com

I just got home from the first day of our annual GT Leo T. Gaje, Jr. seminar. It rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    4/09/2006 1:10am

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, go to the above named site. Kan't go wrong with kali.
    --
    L.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2006 12:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will absolutely do the BJJ club, but I was also hoping to cross-train in some Judo to learn throws. And whenever I searched for a uconn Judo club, this wa shin ryu site came up.

pstc looks great, However I'll be a poor college kid with no job, so I'm hoping it doesn't cost much (the BJJ offers uconn discounts).
    Last edited by Kengou; 4/09/2006 12:51pm at .

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/09/2006 4:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    look at the washin ryu thread in the history section, we have been having a battle over there........

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2006 9:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think washin ryu karate is related to washin ryu jujutsu.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/09/2006 10:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    phew..... then go for it :P

software engineer

Posted On:
    4/09/2006 11:45pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kengou
    I will absolutely do the BJJ club, but I was also hoping to cross-train in some Judo to learn throws. And whenever I searched for a uconn Judo club, this wa shin ryu site came up.

pstc looks great, However I'll be a poor college kid with no job, so I'm hoping it doesn't cost much (the BJJ offers uconn discounts).
    In addition to cost, don't forget about time. College can take a lot out of you, in terms of sleep and schedule. Don't let training mess up your first couple terms.