• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 5:20pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Night Sticks/Police Batons

Ok so I just bought myself police baton. I think I could use it like an escrima stick although it seems a little heavier. Anyone have/use/train with one. Its retractable and weighs 16oz. This is where I got it from along with a picture:

http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/p...expandable.php

Anyone use/train/have one of these? Would I use this any different then an escrima stick? I figure I am just going to go outside and wail on bags with it, get a feel for it and apply what I know to it.
    Last edited by GIJoe6186; 4/07/2006 5:24pm at .

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 5:33pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A stick is a stick. Durability, length, and weight are the only differences that affect how you use them.

Avoid abanico style strikes with heavier sticks. It'll really torque your elbow.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 5:35pm

TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is an "abanico style strike"? I never studied FMA. I did learn to use sticks from my Kempo instructor who learned FMA but we never used the terminology. Im guessing thats where you strike downward and to the side and at the last minuteturn your palm up?

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/08/2006 11:30am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This forum in Depracated, Can one of the mods move this to the armory

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    4/08/2006 5:45pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186
    What is an "abanico style strike"? I never studied FMA. I did learn to use sticks from my Kempo instructor who learned FMA but we never used the terminology. Im guessing thats where you strike downward and to the side and at the last minuteturn your palm up?
    If I understand what you're saying correctly, then yes. "Abanico" means 'fan'. If you hold your arm straight out, and do a windshield wiper like motion without bending your arm, you have the basics of the strike. Just remember that you can apply this motion from all sorts of positions.

But getting back to the advice from Ryno, avoid abanicos with heavier sticks. With a heavy stick, and without really being careful about it, yeah, you can really **** up your elbow.
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 8:24am

Style: FMA (Ilustrisimo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok so I just bought myself police baton. I think I could use it like an escrima stick although it seems a little heavier. Anyone have/use/train with one. Its retractable and weighs 16oz. This is where I got it from along with a picture:
    The most important thing to look for on retractable batons is the reliability of the locking mechanism. You obviously want it to lock open and not collapse if you thrust someone with it. ASP or Monadnock are high end, professional issue. There are some China made ones for about $15.00 but you get what you pay for.

Anyone use/train/have one of these? Would I use this any different then an escrima stick? I figure I am just going to go outside and wail on bags with it, get a feel for it and apply what I know to it.
    The first and foremost practice on a retractable baton is efficient drawing to opening. Depending on how you carry it, break away scabbard, cordura sheath or in your back pocket...you should practice how to draw it and open it under stress. Much like a folding knife, it is only as good as your draw & opening.

I also practice drawstrikes. Pick target areas i.e. hands, knee caps that you will strike but start with a closed baton. This takes practice and an understanding of range since you are both opening and striking in one movement. As mentioned, controlling range is essential as is your free hand.

JohnJ
    www.swacom.com

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 9:30am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I own both a 12" retractable steel baton and a plasticized wood tonfa. The baton stays at bedside and the tonfa is above my desk since both of them are at best quasi-legal to carry here. Although I like the tonfa for protecting myself from heavier clubs, the baton is the one I'd pick to carry and damage someone. It has a locking mechanism so sturdy I can only collapse it against a tile-over-concrete floor and every time I do I'm worried I'll crack the tile.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 9:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mine is the same way. It can only be collapsed by smashing it in to something hard. I use the ground which is concrete. BTW my baton does not have a side handle. Are there any advantages to one? Im gonna start using it on a bag and just playing with it outside.

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 9:49am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought mine since I figured you could hold the long end along your arm to block and then punch with the protruding short end, but I haven't practiced this to any significant extent. It's also designed to KO someone but will not crack the skull with repeated blows.

My instructor is more partial to Trinidadian stickfighting, which uses a stick that goes from the ground to the navel and has similar footwork to Karate instead of being flatfooted like a lot of FMA. You are also allowed to carry a walking stick even if it's made of cured, ass-whooping hardwood whereas a collapsable metal baton only has one use in the eyes of the law.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 10:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well despite legal issues, I want to learn and use a baton. Baton/kinife/baseball bat now those are American weapons. No chuks here. Ive heard of using side handle to hold against ur arm and punch but it seems not to good. Seems like it would be awkward.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast