Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2002 12:30pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the input. Amir - I'll keep those tips in mind. Good stuff.

The thing that attracts me about this club is that it's only $50/ semester. If this doesn't work out, I'll have to go hunting for a school that meets the financial requirements of a college student. Which is pretty cheap. Agh.

juji-gatame, there's actually another detention officer that had to use his aikido on an inmate, believe it or not. he's on martialtalk.com...practices the Nihon Goshin style of aikido.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2002 2:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If money is an issue go volunteer your body to a local high school wrestling team in exchange for pointers and instruction. Then take that $50 you have and go spend it on a pair of focus mitts or thai pads. Then find other like minded fellows who also have a desire to become combat efficient and train with them.

After you find some partners have them as well as yourself make small contributions to a fund each week that will go towards things like instructional tapes on Muay Thai, BJJ, submission wrestling, and other styles which will allow you all to train full speed with one another.

If your desire is sincere it does not matter how limited your budget is. However, here a few things that I think would be in your best interest to purchase if you plan to train with others at full speed.

-boxing or grappling gloves
    -mouth piece
    -shin gaurds (until your shins get conditioned)
    -Grappling or wrestling shoes (Not necessary, but recommended)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2002 3:13pm

Style: Goju Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Albert:

You'll never know until you go and try out a class. See if it's for you.

You will get a lot of advice from people here telling you to do what they do. Do what works for you. No martial art is universally the best.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2002 4:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A word of caution
    Most people think there is only one type of Aikido, they are wrong, actually I know of 3 separate M.A. which go by this name:

The most popular is Ueshiba Aikido, it contains over a million of practitioners, several organizations (Aikikai for example) and multiple orgenized sub-styles

A second is Nihon-Goshin Aikido, to the best of my knowledge (all came from the Internet on this subject) it is an M.A. that combines Karate, Judo, and some type of Daito-Ryu Jujistsu (the main empty Hand M.A. Ueshiba studied) or was it Aikido, I am not sure.

The third is Korindo Aikido, to the best of my knowledge is only taught in Japan, Hong-Kong, Germany (not sure about that) and here in Israel. I know of one Aikido sensei in the U.S. whom has apparently learnt some of it (only to the level of 2'nd Dan - junior instructor in my book) but to the best of my knowledge he ain't teaching it and teaches another style of Aikido (at which he his much more senior).

As for Shooter suggestion: I wouldn't rule out going to a schools wrestling team. I don't know much about it, but would wonder if they will let you train or just use you as fodder, I suspect it depends on the team and it's objectives:
    if it whishes to win contests then they probably wouldn't give you enough attention.
    On the other hand, if they would be willing to teach, it might be a very good place as well, depending only on their coach.
    I wouldn't suggest learning any M.A. from videos, I believe a supposedly "weak" M.A. with a good teacher will help you become much more "street effective" then the best video of the "best" M.A. (I doubt there is any "best" M.A. only most suitable for a specific person and situation). Nothing is ore McDojo then a videotape (I am not talking about slow progress in a remote study which includes monthly tapes exchanges and seminars and is being done as the best possible substitute).

OH. I almost forgot the most important factor for any Dojo:

STAY ONLY IF YOU ENJOY THE PRACTICE AND BELIEVE YOU'LL KEEP ENJOYING IT FOR YEARS TO COME.
    Unless you find it is fun to come and practice, you will stop shortly and then, it would have been better not to start at all.

Amir

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    8/21/2002 8:36am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Amir,

The other orgs you mentioned are all offshoots of Ueshiba's Aikido.

There was only one aikido art created by Ueshiba the rest are descendent of that.

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2002 11:58am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There actually is a club that focuses on BJJ, judo, wrestling, sambo, and Muay Thai techniques (who the heck is going to be qualified enough to teach all of this?). It's called freestyle grappling club. I tried emailing the club rep earlier this summer but got no response. There's no website either so I'm guessing the club is new, or just unorganized. However, they do have a class schedule. I'll show up and see what it's all about.

Edited by - albert on August 21 2002 17:20:13

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 10:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tomiki/Shodokan Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shooter
    "Watch any Steven Seagal movie and you'll see what you can do when you train Akdio long enough and hard enough."

You are being sarcastic, right? Please don't tell me you actually think movie fight choreography is a good indicator of actual combat skill?

As for my feeling on Aikido...

Most of the Aikido players I have met here in the United States have been sad, pathetic, out of shape, pacifist nerds who swear up and down that Aikido is the most dangerous thing since the black plague. Because of this I have developed a very poor opinion on the state of Aikido in the United States. Perhaps it's different in Japan, but the Aikido practicioners I have met in my travels were strange, awkward, and look as if they couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag.
    Yes it is sad, but I think you'll find those in all walks of life
    Last edited by towag; 10/03/2006 10:12am at . Reason: Wanted to add more

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 10:13am

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No! The Horror!

Thread Necromancy!

Someone......calleth The Inquisition!

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    10/03/2006 11:02am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by towag
    Yes it is sad, but I think you'll find those in all walks of life
    08-21-2002, 11:58 AM

You responded to a 4 year old comment and added NOTHING

While there is an active thread on the EXACT same topic , except of course not from 2002 .

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12