Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2006 5:04am

Style: Shutting up and training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fact that William Cheung believes in Chi leads me to doubt all these stories about his amazing fighting abilities.

So Bruce Lee said he was a great fighter? Bruce Lee was an weed smoking amateur philosopher.

I've seen videos of HK street fights and they look crappy. Not a good way to test your skills at all.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/08/2006 6:20am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSparrow
    The fact that William Cheung believes in Chi leads me to doubt all these stories about his amazing fighting abilities.

So Bruce Lee said he was a great fighter? Bruce Lee was an weed smoking amateur philosopher.

I've seen videos of HK street fights and they look crappy. Not a good way to test your skills at all.
    All fair points, though Lee's philosophy was not so bad. For an undergraduate, he was quite clear and coherent.

As far as chi, it does seem dubious in the contemporary West (and I'm sure to many in China, Japan, and the like). However, to many accomplished Asian fighters, chi was simply a part of their cosmology - as real to them as electrical energy to us. I would stand by the basics of our cosmology because it is the product of a more developed method of inquiry, but I'm sure many contemporary martial artists are simply taking up the 'commonsense' worldview of their teachers (for right or wrong). Not everyone can be as scholarly, pragmatic and progressive as chaps like Jigoro Kano.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Posted On:
    4/08/2006 6:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnosis
    So i take it you do wing chun? or im a noob and you feel in a dominant position? christ that is what happend when i went there, i gave the location and the name of the sifu, it might not be exactly down to the address but if your interested in going and seeing how this individual operates his art im pretty sure you could look into it yourself. Otherwise your just a fucking moron
    First of all, a pox on thee and thine entire family for suggesting I do Wing Chun. Secondly, the story just sounds too good to be true. To make a comparision, it would be like if a Stormfront poster told the story of how a bandy-legged, unwashed and all too stereotypical Jew with bad teeth and greasy beard had fondled his girlfriend and tried to dirty the Great Aryan Race.

Your story about the slightly deformed 300 year old chinese kung fu master hobbling arond giggling to himself while telling you how marvelous his chi is just strikes me as equally exaggerated.

**** Bruce Lee, by the way.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    4/08/2006 7:38am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HAI LUK ETS A _ING _UNG THEARD.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2006 5:28pm

Style: intuitive striker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma
    First of all, a pox on thee and thine entire family for suggesting I do Wing Chun. Secondly, the story just sounds too good to be true. To make a comparision, it would be like if a Stormfront poster told the story of how a bandy-legged, unwashed and all too stereotypical Jew with bad teeth and greasy beard had fondled his girlfriend and tried to dirty the Great Aryan Race.

Your story about the slightly deformed 300 year old chinese kung fu master hobbling arond giggling to himself while telling you how marvelous his chi is just strikes me as equally exaggerated.

**** Bruce Lee, by the way.
    so your saying im a nazi because i went to a wing chun school and the sifu was weird? interesting...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2006 6:30pm

Style: whatever it takes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if anything why do yall peopel even train? seems everyone is paranoid with other arts and defend theres to no end...kinda makes me want to forget about martial arts altogether...you people act like weirdos about this ****...

but...i do like martial arts movies and when i train i like to have FUN , FUN is better than anything, so if an art is fun than do it

Posted On:
    4/08/2006 6:44pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know shredda you are right. People at bullshido don't get the reality of martial arts practice. Fun and defense are the main issues, and every one here is so bent on style bashing they forget what's really important! That's why at the www.themartialist.com we deal with martial arts training is all about- nobody here knows what they are talking! Sharp Phil and the boys at www.themartialist.com know what's going on, check out the forums! Go on, visit the www.themartialist.com now!

Posted On:
    4/08/2006 6:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnosis
    so your saying im a nazi because i went to a wing chun school and the sifu was weird? interesting...
    I'm in no position to adjudicate on its accuracy, but it's an argument by analogy. Analogies are helpful because they draw on something someone understands, and use it to shed light on something else. In this case, you are being accused of uncritically accepting stereotypes, something the Nazis also did. By drawing the comparison with the Nazis (usually well unde4rstood as evil), Shawarma is hoping to show the ludicrousness of your stereotypes, and their association with bad folk. He's not saying that you are a Nazi, but that your post smacks of unreflexive stereotype rehashing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2006 8:16pm

Style: intuitive striker

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    I'm in no position to adjudicate on its accuracy, but it's an argument by analogy. Analogies are helpful because they draw on something someone understands, and use it to shed light on something else. In this case, you are being accused of uncritically accepting stereotypes, something the Nazis also did. By drawing the comparison with the Nazis (usually well unde4rstood as evil), Shawarma is hoping to show the ludicrousness of your stereotypes, and their association with bad folk. He's not saying that you are a Nazi, but that your post smacks of unreflexive stereotype rehashing.
    how can i be accused of accepting steretypes? what the **** does that mean? i went somewhere and saw the actions of an individual...then i wrote down here what the experience was, and somehow im steretyping because my experience happens to fit in with the general perspective, hmm perhaps its not a stereotype perhaps its just who the sifu was and what fucking happend...whats with the over analysis and abstraction, not everything has to be torn apart into its constituent matter and broken down to the point of making all meaning irrelevant.

mentality like this is what breeds bullshidoism and **** like wing chun and the way it is practiced, divocred from reality and experience, pure speculation far removed from the ground.

Posted On:
    4/08/2006 8:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how can i be accused of accepting steretypes?
    As I said, I'm in no position to adjudicate on whether or not you were. What your post demanded was clarification, not more accusation (from either side).

mentality like this is what breeds bullshidoism and **** like wing chun and the way it is practiced, divocred from reality and experience, pure speculation far removed from the ground.
    Indeed. Having said this, there is a very big difference between concise clarification (necessary in a medium like the internet) and ungrounded speculation.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast