Yes, the instructors should have fought back. Maybe the instructors would have gotten their butts kicked, maybe not, but this occurrence didn't occur in the USA.

We need to keep in mind, that the laws in the UK aren't exactly that friendly when it comes to people defending themselves. In the UK, if you fight back, then there's a good chance *you* will be arrested, and that the intruder can sue you.

Imagine having all sorts of arrests on your record, and what that would do for your school, which is your livelihood.

Heck, you can't even curse or swear at the bad guys anymore:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...0/nswear10.xml

Mother fined for swearing at gang of trouble-makers
By Jasper Copping

(Filed: 10/09/2006)

A mother of two has been fined for swearing at yobs who terrorised her neighbourhood.

Donna Appleyard, 32, finally snapped after months of misery in which the youths jumped over fences, trampled through gardens and shouted and swore at residents.

Ms Appleyard said she had made several complaints to police about the gang outside her home in Knottingley, West Yorkshire, but no officers had been to visit her to take the issue further.

Instead, she found herself under investigation when officers received a complaint from a 13-year-old girl, after Ms Appleyard finally lost her temper and pleaded with her tormenters: "Please, just f*** off". Two weeks later, officers called at her house and issued her with the fine.

Ms Appleyard said: "I was at the end of my tether and I admit I swore at one of them. But that's nothing compared to what my neighbours and I have suffered.

"When the police came I thought it was because I had complained. I never dreamed they had come to arrest me.

"I'm really angry that we've had to put up with this behaviour for almost a year, and then you can be taken to court and fined for shouting back at them."

Ms Appleyard was given an 80 fixed penalty notice following the incident on March 30. However, she refused to pay and was taken to court last month, when magistrates raised the sum to 120, which she must now pay or face a jail term.
There are more examples on that page.