230558 Bullies, 3772 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Forum Bully J-Lau to Fight Pulver in UFC

From UFC.TV:

Jens Pulver, the only lightweight champion in the history of the UFC, is back, and on Saturday, September 23rd, at the Arrowhead Pond in Anaheim, California, ĎLil Evilí will enter the Octagon for the first time in over four years when he takes on UFC newcomer Joe Lauzon at UFC 63.

And though Lauzon (12-3) will be making his UFC debut against one of the top 155-pounders in the world, according to Pulver (21-6-1), heís treating this fight as if itís a title match.

ď People have made this mistake of thinking that Iím overlooking somebody, but Iím not overlooking this kid,Ē he said. ďI donít overlook anything. Iím just as nervous as he is Ė I ainít been in the UFC for four years. Iím working on my stuff because MMA has been around long enough where we can all grapple, we can all box, and we can all clinch in between. Itís just a matter of who does it better and harder. I know heís a strong kid and he loves grappling. Heís got good grappling technique and tries some wild stuff and it works. This is a world title fight to me because the truth is, if I lose to this kid, I donít get that shot.Ē

Lauzon is a native of Brockton, Massachusetts, the city that produced legendary boxing champions Rocky Marciano and Marvin Hagler. Heís look to add to that cityís combat sports legacy beginning on September 23rd.

Tickets for UFC 63, which features the welterweight title bout between Matt Hughes and BJ Penn, are available now. To buy tickets, <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="http://www.dpbolvw.net/placeholder-1057768?target=_top&text=%3Clink%3EClick+here%3C%2 Flink%3E&mouseover=N"></script>

If you're a Supporting Member, look for the thread in the Black Belt Club forum on how you can get involved in helping sponsor him.
    Attached Images  

BJJ Suckee

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 11:57am

Style: Relson GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fucking sweet. Go Lauzon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 12:49pm

Style: Starting Strength

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like Pulver; but I'll be betting against him this time.

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 12:59pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would normally root for Pulver, but I'm making an exception this time.

War J-Lau.

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 1:27pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All bets on the Bully!

Go Joe!

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 4:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if i had money id bet on you lazer eyes! autograph my baby!

Posted On:
    8/29/2006 5:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent news for J-lau.

('._.)

Posted On:
    8/31/2006 6:47am

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stop fooling yourselfs. We all know Pulver will put a brutal beating on Jay. But Jay will get another shot in the UFC, dont worry, hes young. But Pulver is one of the best in the world and I dont see anyone in the UFC beating him (the Pride guys however are a different story)

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    8/31/2006 7:26am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** Pulver, **** him in his stupid ass.

Posted On:
    8/31/2006 8:19am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Making your UFC Debut, you have to "Fear No Evil"
    By Tommy Messano
    Thursday, August 31, 2006

Joe Lauzon has the unenviable task of making his UFC debut against former UFC lightweight champion Jens ďLil EvilĒ Pulver. Lucky for Lauzon, being the underdog is nothing new for him. The 2004 Massachusetts Fighter of the Year began his career in 2004 and proceeded to run off seven straight wins before tasting defeat early in 2005.

Now the kid from Mass faces his biggest test to date in Jens Pulver. Pressure? Without a doubt, but Joe Lauzonís 12-3 record says that his intro to UFC fans will be nothing less than a exciting fight between the past, and maybe the future of the lightweight division.

Maxfighting: Do the UFC give you a three-fight deal?

Joe Lauzon: A three-fight deal but depending on this outcome itís going to make a huge difference. If I lose they said weíll probably have you back but nothing is guaranteed. I would assume their going to have me back because Iím being thrown to the wolves. I think itís a fight I can win, whether they do or I not, I donít know. I think theyíre trying to feed me to Pulver.

Maxfighting: Does that bother you that their trying to showcase Jens Pulver against you?

Joe Lauzon: I wouldnít say that Iím offended. Iím kind of honored that theyíd pick me out of anyone else. There are other guys out there who they could have thrown in there. I think I have an exciting style and it will be a lot of action either way. Whether I go in there and catch a submission, or I get knocked out itís going to be a good fight.

Maxfighting: How will fighting at 155 affect your game?

Joe Lauzon: Itís kind of tough for me because a lot of guys at 155, guys like Joe Stevenson and a lot of other guys who drop a ton weight from 180 even. Guys like that are really tough at 155. I thought Iíd be better off at 145 because a lot of these guys are more my size but itís too much to cut. I lost strength and had no cardio. I normally have a lot of cardio I can go forever. Trying to make 145, I was dead. Even in training before I cut weight my cardio was awful, itís like no matter what I did, I couldnít get my cardio up after diet. There was no fuel in my tank. I think Iíll be better off at 155 because I wonít be cutting so much weight.

Maxfighting: What weight do you normally walk around at?

Joe Lauzon: I walk around at 170. For 145, I was doing a lot of dieting to get to 154 then cut water weight from there. I will stay around 170 though and cut water to make 155

Maxfighting: How do you see yourself fitting into the UFC lightweight division?

Joe Lauzon: Iím not really sure. Once Iím in there, Iíll have a much better idea of whatís going on. A lot of people say I shouldnít be in there. If Iím there itís going too competitive. Jens is awesome. Heís the lightweight champ. Theyíre all bad asses in that division. Itís probably the toughest division out there. There is no other division with that kind of depth.

Maxfighting: From the film you watched on Jens Pulver, have you seen a weakness that could exploit in your match?

Joe Lauzon: Iím not really going to go into detail because everybody sees something different. Iíve been watching a ton of tape on him. Heís not hard to find, you could go find tapes of Jens Pulver at Blockbuster. He hasnít fought that much in recent years and itís been a couple since the last UFC fight. The fights he fought over in Pride and Bushido have been the most helpful.

Maxfighting: Explain your friendship with Drew Fickett.

Joe Lauzon: Fickett came out here and fought Kenny Florian for the Combat Zone promotion, and he came here with no corner men or nothing. I almost cornered for him against Kenny, which would have been weird because Iím friendly with Kenny. Heís fought over here a couple of times and is a real cool guy. Heís been in the UFCís ear awhile now telling them about me.

Maxfighting: How did you get started in mixed martial arts?

Joe Lauzon: Some of my friends started out doing some Jiu Jitsu, then a couple of them started signing up for fights, so Iíd help them train for that. The natural progression was that I wanted to fight to.

Maxfighting: Tell us about Reality Self Defense, the gym you train at.

Joe Lauzon: Itís kind of funny the place started out as a Karate school, now the gym has been completely turned over, and is basically a full time MMA school.

Maxfighting: How did you train for the eight-man WFL tourney you won back in April?

Joe Lauzon: Just working on a lot of cardio. We really paid attention to all the other fighters, and we came up with a pretty good game plan no matter who we fought. The one thing you can do when you go in there is try to fight. So we had our game plan, then we ran through different scenarios, and said, ďif we fight this type of guy weíre going to train like this.Ē We did one day where we really worked on takedown, another day weíre working on stand up, another day weíre working on guard submissions. We used all the different modes of training.

Maxfighting: Did any of the three opponents that night give you more trouble than the other two?

Joe Lauzon: No not really. We pretty much steamrolled everyone in that tournament. I was fortunate because my first fight was pretty quick. I donít think I even got hit in that fight. The other fighters had some real wars.

Maxfighting: None of your 15 pro fights have gone to a decision. What do you credit that fact to?

Joe Lauzon: Iím sometimes aggressive to a fault. If I see something Iím going to work hard for it and go after it. Sometimes it means I make mistakes but weíre working on that. Sometimes it works out for me. A lot of my fights have ended real quickly because of this. Iíll go do something totally out of the box and itís worked out. There have been a lot of other times where Iíve done something and got punched in the mouth for it.

Maxfighting: Joe thank you for your time. Are there any sponsors you would like to thank?

Joe Lauzon: Sprawl is going to be a huge help for this fight. MMA.tv, NAGA, & Bullshido

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast