Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

UK McDojo Can't Even Defend Their Own School

Intruders order karate club to shut

Apr 6 2006
    By Sam Munnery

A FAMILY karate class was left stunned when two men stormed into the room, ripped the belts off the instructors and ordered the club to shut, it has been claimed. Parents and children looked on as two representatives from global karate group GKR walked into the class last Friday to recover equipment they believe belongs to them.

The instructors of the Fire Dragon Karate School, Melissa Cole and Joe Holloway, sent their pupils home and called the police after the men walked into the 7.30pm class 10 minutes after it had started. According to the instructors, GKR representatives "forcibly" stripped them of their karate belts, claimed the 54-member group had no insurance and that its existence was breaking a contractual condition of GKR Karate, for whom Ms Cole and Mr Holloway worked until December 2005.

The two instructors said they were completely surprised at the appearance of the men. Ms Cole, 23, said: "I tried to keep the class going but the students were becoming aware of raised voices. One just strolled up to me in front of the class, at which point I said, 'Good evening sensei'. "But without warning he began to forcibly remove my belt in front of the students. I did not see any point in fighting back. "They wouldn't leave. Their body language was revealing that they wanted to become volatile."

Mother Liz Knight, who takes part in the class with sons Glenn, six and Oliver, 14, said: "I was appalled at the men's behaviour. I wouldn't want to learn karate from them. We were a foot away from Melissa when she was stripped of her belt."

Joe Holloway, 33, from Brockham, joined GKR four years ago as an instructor but left in December. He said: "They (the representatives) have acted like the Mafia. They demanded my training fees, said that I owe them money, that we didn't have insurance and that we are training unlawfully." Mr Holloway said the insurance certificate was clearly displayed at the class's Dorking Rugby Club premises in Kiln Lane, Brockham. He added: "I've trained with GKR and the company is great. It is the actions of the two representatives I'm annoyed about. They are trying to discredit us."

GKR, which runs a karate group at The Ashcombe School, claims that by opening the Fire Dragon karate class in February, Ms Cole and Mr Holloway had broken the terms of a contract which prohibits them from taking part in martial arts for six months after leaving GKR. The Brockham instructors admitted signing up to the clause. The company said Mr Holloway had not complied with its requests so it sent regional managers Simon Burke and Peter Larsson to "recover" equipment. Andrew Ward, of GKR, said he asked the men to go because he had tried to get in touch with Mr Holloway before. He claimed: "He owes us 400 and he has some equipment of ours. Mr Holloway also personally owes Peter Larsson 700.

"The disruption was of their own making. The guys asked Joe to come outside to talk about it away from the class. "He is signing people up using GKR paperwork with the badge cut off. "I've sent statements to our legal department and we are pursuing criminal action." Surrey Police said it is investigating the matter.

http://icsurreyonline.icnetwork.co.u...name_page.html
    Attached Images  

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 9:04am

Style: Japanese Jujutsu / aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the **** is the matter with those assholes, talk about not having the balls or skills to defend yourself. There would hjave been one hell of a brawl if that **** happened to me in the middle of teaching.

And on a side note: it's probably a pretty **** move of GKR, to do some **** like that infront of kids.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 9:45am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Baaaaaad PR move by GKR

Quote Originally Posted by konosan
    What the **** is the matter with those assholes, talk about not having the balls or skills to defend yourself. There would hjave been one hell of a brawl if that **** happened to me in the middle of teaching.

And on a side note: it's probably a pretty **** move of GKR, to do some **** like that infront of kids.
    Maybe because there were children in their presence that the instructors didn't do anything about it. Anyways, that is incredibly fucked up. It was just plain shitty, and a terrible PR move by GKR. :f-off:

I dunno anything about the laws in Britland, but... can people actually storm a private premise and remove the instructors' belts as these asholes did without any legal consequence? At least in the US, that could constitute some sort of assault :5dunce:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 9:47am

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is GKR the Go Kan Ryu style I've been seeing in threads lately?

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 10:02am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah these guys are very interesting.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...light=GoKanRyu

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 10:07am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elnyka
    Maybe because there were children in their presence that the instructors didn't do anything about it. Anyways, that is incredibly fucked up. It was just plain shitty, and a terrible PR move by GKR. :f-off:

I dunno anything about the laws in Britland, but... can people actually storm a private premise and remove the instructors' belts as these asholes did without any legal consequence? At least in the US, that could constitute some sort of assault :5dunce:
    I agree.

Plus, you don't own something I purchased. Here in America, I would think, you would have to get an injuction to stop them from teaching.

Even if someone owes me money, I can't just legally walk in and take things as collateral.

You can remove me from your orginization and strip me of rank in the orginization. Yet, I'm still the rank I earned/purchased.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 10:14am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake??
    I agree.

Plus, you don't own something I purchased. Here in America, I would think, you would have to get an injuction to stop them from teaching.

Even if someone owes me money I can't just legally walk in and take things as collateral.

You can remove me from your orginization and strip me of rank in the orginization. Yet, I'm still the rank I earned/purchased.
    This reminds me of a situation a former dance instructor of mine encountered. He was trained and gave classes at a dance studio associated with the Fred Astaire Dance Academies when he was 18-20 or something like that. After a while, he had a dissagreement with the studio, walked away and opened his own dance studio.

Lo and behold, the old dance studio tried to sue the **** out of him because of a breach in contract. The contract my friend signed had one of those tiny-tinie small prints sections that forbidded him from opening a studio in, like, a 100 miles radious or something. He was a teen so he didn't read the clause (DOH!), and basically he would not be able to teach anywhere in South Florida.

Anyways, to make it short, the old studio couldn't successfully stop him because that would force him to stop making a living (since that was his living)... or so was the legar argument by which he was able to continue doing his dance business thing.

Going back to the original story... what these assholes did was not only dumb, but I would say, it shows a total lack of class and professionalism, specially in front of children and parents... jeeez.:confused2
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 10:21am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a common tactic in McDojo contracts. It was a small reason I'm supposedly no longer allowed in my old org.

I signed a contract to teach, a year later I didn't. They realized that the contract I signed wasn't updated with a new clause. The new clause is similar to automatic rebilling. If you don't sign you are still held to the contract.

Yes, this sounds like the internet BS for the Aikido guy.

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 10:33am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Elnyka- Pretty much assault here too. It's really easy to be brought up on charges of assault here. Those GKR "enforcers" are prolly in for serious criminal ****.

On second thought.......just checked my Oxford dictionary of law (which is as you will see so much better than the cambridge version). Here is the definition of assault-

n. An intentional or reckless act that causes someone to be put in fear of immediate physical harm. Acutal physical contact is not necessary to constitute an assualt (eg pointing a gun at someone is an assualt), but the word is often loosely used to include both threatening acts and physical violence (see BATTERY). Words alone cannot constitute an assault. Assault is a form of trespass to the person and a crime as a tort: a common assault, as described above, is a summary offence punishable by a level 5 fine on the standard scale and/or up to six months in prison. Certain kinds of more serious assault are known as aggravated assaults and carry stricter penalties eg assault occassioning acutal bodily harm (five years) or assault with intent to rob (life imprisionment).

Looks like they fucked, but bear in mind those are maximum penalties. In my experience, assault charges can only be brought if charges are pressed by the victim(s). The GKR guys will prolly get brought up on aggravated assault if the instructors presses charges. But it doesn't look they want to from the article. Its so easy to be done for assault (normally plus ABH or GBH if hurt someone) in Britain but if no-one presses charges you can get off scot-free, which happens a lot because alot of the time (especially on fri/sat night) no-one can arsed to press charges. They would rather go home and have a cup of tea than bother with all the aggro. It's only a fight after all. Happens all the time, nothing to get upset about.

I for one am kinda glad that is the case. But still you'd think in this case the school would want to press charges.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 12:05pm

Style: Koei-Kan, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoardHitBack
    It's only a fight after all. Happens all the time, nothing to get upset about.

I for one am kinda glad that is the case. But still you'd think in this case the school would want to press charges.
    I would say that this case should be pressed. This isn't a normal fight like you're mentioning. This was more intimidation. The fact that they went there while a class was on also means that they wanted to have an adverse effect on their enrollment. I have actually lived through a similar situation in which I got approached by a former sensei after he found out I left to go to another dojo. He showed up at class time and tried to make me feel bad for leaving as well as intimidate my new sensei. The only difference was that it was an adult class and I think he knew that if he tried anything, he wasn't going to be walking out the door under his own power.

As much as I hate to say it, they were right not to get into a donneybrook in front of the kids. Most likely they would have been outmatched anyways.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast