232273 Bullies, 3987 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: What choo you carry mang?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strictly Fistacuffs Baby... I don't need a stinkin' weapon

30 41.67%
  • One knife, I like it simple

15 20.83%
  • Multiple knives, one is for kids!

6 8.33%
  • Got's me a firearm baby

6 8.33%
  • Why carry one when you can have both... gun & knife is the way

9 12.50%
  • Kubaton Keychain Keeeya!

0 0%
  • Other - Please tell

6 8.33%
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91516171819 20 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 10:57am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSparkle
    Yea, I figured the marketing was just a bit silly. And for anyone who's been inspired by certain posts in this thread....
    http://www.coldsteel.com/swordcane2nds.html
    they have a "factory second" sword cane on sale.
    Did you get that Wataru? SWORDCANE! Oooohhh!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 7:16am

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to carry a spyderco walker collaboration, but since i work for the government, and we have metal detectors, thats a no no.

I found it more usefull for opening up mail, and various packaging since it is a pocket knife more than anything else.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 11:40am

Style: Hoshin, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno
    thanks for this info, it's been enlightening.

you're on the right track, and this is true for any topic. the majority of australians live in the urban areas.

though there are differences between here and america. there is very little gun debate here. i actually don't even remember talking about guns to anyone for the past couple of years, it's such a non-issue... but there is a bit more of an interest in rural areas.

but 99% of the debate is not about guns for self defense, it's about "i want the choice to own an automatic weapon", and most of that debate happened during the new gun laws being introduced about 10 years ago, which was a direct result of the port arthur massacre.

farmers are generally pretty content with the weapons they are allowed to own, which are entirely adequate for bringing down animals. i grew up in the country. the last gun i fired was a scoped .303 i believe. i'm sure there are people in the country who wish they could have autos or semi autos.

you can also get a gun license and hunt and do sport shooting. but no autos, semi autos or pistols in aus are allowed. police officers have guns, and security officers can get a license to carry a pistol.
    Umm, not quite.

If fully automatic longarms have ever been legal in Aus it hasn't been at least since the end of the second world war. As for pistols they most certainly ARE legal in Australia but there are restrictions on them. Mostly to do with barrel length, magazine capacity and, for god knows what reason, calibre.

The gun 'debate', as it were, in Australia had very little to do with anything approaching reality. The media did a bang up job of convincing people that what the new gun laws were all about was protecting the community from urban commandos who had machine guns set up in their living room. As I mentioned though, there were no auto rifles to ban.The end result of all this fuss was that an awful lot of .22 bunny guns got destroyed.

In short there was no debate (you see for a debate you really need to hear from the opposing side), which makes it hard for there to be a 'screaming majority' as for the most part people had no clue what it was they were actually supporting, or rather being rallied against.

As for the question of whether I carry, that would be no.
    The powers that be have gone and made illegal anything that is carried for the purposes of causing another harm. If I carry a comb and manage to injure some low life with it, and the police make a case that I never really intended to use it on my hair, I go to gaol. So even the good ol' kubotan is illegal should I ever actually need to use it.

Also as of a couple of years ago it's illegal to carry any blade in a public place. This covers pocket knives, those little razor blade keychain contraptions with the 1cm blade, leatherman tools, everything. Unless you have a lawful excuse for having it. And having a lawful excuse doesn't neccessarily keep you out of court either. One unlucky elderly Italian gent was forced to have his day in court when arrested and charged for having a 7.5cm blde in his posession in a public place. His claims that he used it to cut up the tomatos he had on his lunch fell on the deaf ears of everyone involved except the judge. He did get off but still had to go through being arrested, charged and facing criminal prosecution in court. Not fun.

/rant

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 11:47am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't be from Australia. It's been made quite clear to us that Australians are united in total apathy about guns and self-defense. They're like Galapagos Tortoises. . . there's a whole extended analogy thing. It's really quite good.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 5:50pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh noes! we have found an aussie who is unhappy with the laws.

Quote Originally Posted by psychalogy
    machine guns set up in their living room.
    the massacre in tasmania caused an outrage and put pressure on the government to change the laws. he used semi auto if i remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by psychalogy
    As I mentioned though, there were no auto rifles to ban.The end result of all this fuss was that an awful lot of .22 bunny guns got destroyed.
    you are saying they banned .22 rifles?

EDIT - about the pistols, i haven't seen a civillian using a pistol since i was about 11 years old, so that was just an assumption i made. i didn't bother looking up the exact laws before i made that post.
    Last edited by danno; 5/12/2006 6:26pm at .

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 8:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Sigh*

I posted the categories for you a few days ago on this very board. Caliber does not seem to matter; all semi-automatics and pump-actions were banned. Therefore, yes, I would say at a minimum many thousands of "bunny guns" were chopped up by mouth-breathers with chopsaws.

Do you recall when I posted about the guns I own that would be illegal under your laws? Two were .22 rifles. I know this sounds silly, but hey, you're supposed to be defending it, not sounding incredulous. Stay in the moment.

(I'm sure my Glock 30 is too small to be legal under your handgun laws, too, but I left it out.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 9:30pm

Style: Hoshin, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm unhappy with any poorly thought out and validated law, these one's just happened to be about gun control.

And danno, you used the words automatic/autos in reference to longarms several times in the post of yours I've quoted above. I was simply clarifying what is a very common misconception in Australia, which is that the 1996 gun laws had anything at all to do with fully automatic firearms. Also I seriously doubt the government was forced into doing anything by public pressure on this issue.

Moving on, for the better part of the 20th century the quintessential 'bunny gun' in Australia was an auto loading .22LR. There were hundreds of thousands of these things in the population, most of which have now been turned into scrap metal on the basis of some dubious claim of improving public safety. In short, all semi-autos were banned, the greatest proportion of semi-autos in the population being .22LRs.

As for caliber there's no restriction I know of for longarms (although I haven't heard of anyone in Australia with a .50BMG bolt action rifle... not sure on these) but pistols (since 2002) are restricted on barrel length (102mm min), magazine capacity (10 rnds max), and calibre (nothing over .38). There's some difference between revolvers and autos too but I can't recall exactly what the law is on this... hey I'm not a pistol shooter.

Here endeth the lecture.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 9:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do you prefer the american style laws?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2006 9:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    I posted the categories for you a few days ago on this very board. Caliber does not seem to matter; all semi-automatics and pump-actions were banned. Therefore, yes, I would say at a minimum many thousands of "bunny guns" were chopped up by mouth-breathers with chopsaws.

Do you recall when I posted about the guns I own that would be illegal under your laws? Two were .22 rifles. I know this sounds silly, but hey, you're supposed to be defending it, not sounding incredulous. Stay in the moment.
    i got a little confused. for some reason i didn't realise he meant semi auto .22.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/08/2006 1:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't carry.
    Why?

1 I'm big and ugly, and live with the conviction that it helps.
    2 Through weapon laws, there's a lot less weapon crime here than in America.
    3 Late at night, when people get affraid of things, I'm drunk. I'm not going to get into trouble by being drunk and carrying a knife.

For the rest, I don't feel unsafe, cause I ain't. Good enough for me.
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91516171819 20 LastLast