Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 12:13pm

Style: Taekwondo, wing chun,judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

hook kick

does anyone know what muscles are involved in the hook kick, im weight traning and i want to improve the hook kick so i need to know what muscle groups to work to help the kick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 1:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i do but i didnt make it clear when i was asking for exercises for improving power in the kick. sorry

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 3:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most gym instructors will tell you how to strenghten your legs. In the meantime here's a free one: stand in front of a flight of stairs or some steps, the exercise is basicly jumping onto the first step, then back, then onto the second step (1 rep). do around 50 reps and work up to around 100, this will improve your explosive power and cv. Also, make sure you bend your knees as you land as you can damage them if you land wrong. To kick hard you have to stretch your legs aswell.

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 3:46pm

Style: Aikido-Kickboxing-Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Put a wight around your ankle and kick, ta da, you are strengthening the muscles used in that kick.
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2005 5:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i was under the impression that wieghts damaged joints?

that stairs thing looks good thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 10:27am

Style: WTF TKD, BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD GOD
    does anyone know what muscles are involved in the hook kick, im weight traning and i want to improve the hook kick so i need to know what muscle groups to work to help the kick.
    Your leg muscles.

Wanna get better at it? Keep doing it over and over and over....

HOW OD HOOKKICK??!?!?

Artemis BJJ Co-Founder/Instructor

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 10:48am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     Artemis BJJ | Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Bristol Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TKD GOD
    When you say 'improve', what exactly do you want to improve your hook kick for? TKD competition? As in that case, you could beef up your legs with weight training...but working on your technique would be a lot more productive. Are you particularly fond of the hook kick? Or is there no particular preference between that and say a front, side or turning kick? From my experience (at least in terms of sparring), I'd say those three are far better suited to sparring in a variety of stand-up styles.

If you simply want to build up your legs, what kind of weights do you have/use? This website might prove useful in giving you ideas for exercises - for example, if you search under hamstring and dumbbells, it brings up dumbbell lunges:

Hold a dumbbell in each hand and pull your shoulders back. Lift your chest up and look straight ahead. Position your right leg forward in a long stride. Your foot should be far enough in front of you so that when you bend your right knee, your thigh and lower leg form a right angle. Slowly bend your knees, lowering your hips so your rear knee just clears the floor. Pause briefly in this position, then slowly straighten your legs and raise your body back up to a standing position. Complete a full set, then switch legs and repeat, or alternate legs for each rep. Make sure your knee does NOT travel past your toes in the down position!

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 10:56am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The real ultimate power of a hook kick comes from the hamstring muscles. Leg curls will get those stronger faster.

The hook kick is a deceptive manuever, but remember, it leaves the testes wide open for a stomping!

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 2:02pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup. Nuts are wide open underneath. It's also puts your planted leg's knee at risk. Taking this into account, along with the difficulty in generating power with it (try it agains a heavy bag), I don't recommend the kick in mma or self defense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2005 2:37pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do hope you mean "spinning hook kick", because a regular front-leg hook kick is fairly weak and useless. Might get you a point in TKD but it won't do any damage at all.
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast