Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 4:38pm

Style: Choy Lay Fut Gung Fu, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186
    Wowzers folks! Lets all get along!

Infrazael, you say that you can't see how striking witht the fist could be more harmfull then striking with the forearm. You are right that the forearm is much more solid then your knuckles and hand so it makes sense that the forearm would be the weapon of choice. It could be used to hit much harder.

The reason that is wrong though is because you cant target with your forearms. Now I dont mean target the eyes or neck. Im talking about a general target. You just wanna hit the face preferably the chin.

Its very easy to block the forearm because its large and has to come in at an angle. It cant move around a persons defending hands. A fist however is something we have great control of. Also if you have your hands up (like a boxer) you can shoot your fist around or between them and hit the face/chin. You cant do that with a forearm. Also forearms strikes usually come in with a looping motion that can easily be countered by keeping the hands up because they are large.

As for haymekers, yea it was fun to say they were stupid in my Kempo classes and only the unskilled used them. But when you dont have 16oz gloves on your hands move alot faster. A strong haymaker is easy to see but if you dont know how to bob, weave or just plain cover up its a good shot. Its not my go to but if the guy has crappy defense its a good thing.
    To answer your questions, AND YrKoon9's statements about me saying that "punching the head with knuckles is stupid."

Where the hell did I say punching with the knuckles in general is stupid. Is it my post regarding the "Ox-Horn" punch? Then rest assured that I stand by my statement. Having trained with that punch for the last 2 years or so, I can safely say that the "Ox-Horn" punch found in Southern CMA is a retarded technique when compared to the Hook or Overhand found in Western Boxing. I said the OX-HORN punch is not safe for your knuckles -- I never said ANY OTHER PUNCH.

I never said Haymakers can't hurt someone. All I said was that they are typically slower, easier to see, and therefore easier to counter than cleaner, crisper strikes. Such as jab, cross, hook, uppercut, etc.

Yea but Im talking about using them in the free motion phase. No clinch. Even in the clinch forearms will work but its easier to use your fists and elbows.
    Before someone decides to speak on my behalf, I'm not advocating using the forearms in the clinch, and never have.

Originally Posted by Infrazael
    High impact swing at a 45 degree angle, most likely hitting the opponent in the skull. That just calls for fucking your hand up.

No thanks, I think forearms are harder than my knuckles.

Jesus Christ!

Check out that CLF guy above. Doesn't he understand what you are saying? I mean look at all those punches to the skull! That just calls for fucking your hand up!

What a big dummy he is!

Why isn't he using his forearm?!? I mean they are harder than your knuckles. This guy must not be doing the 'real Choy Lay Fut', eh?
    Again YrKoon9, I was referring to the OX-HORN PUNCH FOUND IN CMA.

And no, it's not a hook, it's not an overhand, it's not an uppercut, and IT'S NOT ANY OF THOSE CLF PUNCHES YOU FOUND ON THE INTERNET.

Don't misrepresent what I stated. I was talking about ONE SPECIFIC ATTACK, which is executed in a similar manner and pathway as a Sau Choy. I've hit with it before; not so good for the hands. Due to the similar nature, if you were to throw an attack from that angle and have Ox-Horn vs. Sau to choose from, I would choose the Sau anyday.

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 4:57pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJoe6186
    Yea but Im talking about using them in the free motion phase. No clinch. Even in the clinch forearms will work but its easier to use your fists and elbows.
    I generally agree and this goes for me. though some people are just really good at using them ALONG with fists and elbows.

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 5:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An extra weapon i mean.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 10:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    really not seeing how you would use your forearms as a striking weapon in a thai clinch. at least, not an effective weapon

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 11:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can drop it into the guys neck like a hook.

But i figure it's like a shuto.....it can be used, but why not use a hook instead which is better?

But then again, look at andy hug.

How many of us can really use axe kicks like him? Even kyokushin people.

I say it's the same with fore-arms, some people can obviously use them, some cant.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 11:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well you can jam it into the other guys neck (I always do anyway) but that isnt really striking. if you mean let go and then throw it... im just really not seeing how you would get any kind of power out of that. and while you are flailing around like a retard NOT holding onto the other guy, he is kneeing the **** out of you and tearing your head off because you aint wrasslin back. i can count the number of times ive seen someone effectively throw hooks when someone had them in a (good) clinch without borrowing my friends hands, and for a forearm you would have to be even closer and have even less leverage to throw it.

its not a case of something like the axe kick which is a very viable attack if you have the flexibility and timing to pull it off, its a case of you would have to the hulk for it to work (or be fighting a twig pretending to be a man)

Posted On:
    5/13/2006 11:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well you probably know muay thai clinch better since you study muay thai.

My experience with it was due to a laughing sensei who said he was playing around.

Would he do that in a fight agianst somoene he cant screw around with? I dont know.

I havent even been sparring hard for very long, so my expertise probably are not as good.

What about "shearing'' with the fore-arm?

have you done that? LIke jamming it and angling it off in a rubbing motion, or striking with it and angling off in a rubbing motion? understand what i mean?
    Last edited by AAAhmed46; 5/13/2006 11:55pm at .

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 12:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you cannot seriously think that rubbing someone with your forearm is any kind of fighting technique. unless you are fighting a 6 year old girl, that won't do ****. a guy i spar with forgot his gloves one day and used some shitty club gloves. I didn't realise until after we finished sparring that the insides of his gloves the cheap imitation leather was all broken and cut and the back of my neck now resembled an emos wrist.

Now if I didn't feel that in the "heat of the moment" the chances of me giving a **** about some effeminate weirdo sensually rubbing the side of my neck with his velvety arms.... oooooh....

wait back to the point- its bullshit and won't work. i think that was my point anyway.

now, jamming it into someones neck- yeah. thats how you keep control (or actually, the secret is jamming your elbows into the small pit between the deltoid/shoulder and the pec/chest). but for it to actually be uncomfortable you would have to be a strong ************ and you would be spending shitloads of energy for very little return.

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 2:12am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea sorry to upset anyone but rubbing your forearm doesnt do ****. Hell if you do ANY grappling you get that all the time. Guys rub their elbows on your neck and every where else with full force and gravity helping out. Even then its only annoying if you know what your doing. Now if your talking about cross facing then its different. But even when you do that its not a rubbing motion but a lot of pressure used to turn the guys head away. You cant just rub a guy and make it hurt. In fact if you rub a guy the right way....(insert joke here)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/14/2006 3:02am

Style: Choy Lay Fut Gung Fu, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before anyone jumps down my throat, I never said or even brought up the topic of using forearms as a weapon in the Thai clinch, or "rubbing" against anything for that matter.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12 LastLast