Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 2:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Kempo-Goju Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know Omar and Solomen, solomen used to be member of our Judo club.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 2:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Kempo-Goju Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I must say that win or lose, It's better to compete and grow, then be a spectator.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 2:19pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by milwaukeecop2
    I will be competing April 15 2006 at "THE MILWAUKEE CHALLENGE" in M ilwaukee. The event is hosted by Matamoras Jiujitsu. This will be the 1st BJJ tournament for my 10 yr old son and I.
    Since I have nothing else to add to this post I thought I would simply pick on the errors in your grammar. The above should read:

This will be the 1st BJJ tournament for me and my 10 yr old son.
    Oh, and good luck! Do you wear your judo belt in the matches still? What belt do you hold? It'd really suck if you had a purple belt on or something and a white belt schooled you.

Dagon Akujin :XXreindee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 2:24pm

Style: bjj and hitting stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by milwaukeecop2
    I know Omar and Solomen, solomen used to be member of our Judo club.
    Good stuff mah man, good luck and see ya there.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 2:29pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by babo78
    2.5 year of Kodokan Judo training (20% ground) would be around blue belt skill level in BJJ ? Comparing person of similiar size, hours trained, etc.
    You make the assumption that you will only be able to use 20% of your experience.

Last year I won the Gracie Open with Tai Otoshi. The groundwork was only momentary as neither of us would pull guard. So the assumption that the outcome will be decided by groundwork is not always true.

Keep in mind, that 20% of THIER training was probably Judo takedowns.

I had a couple of years of Judo and went into several white belt competitions when I started BJJ. I totally dominated them. Like crushing the **** out of everyone. Most of these white belts had maybe 1 or 2 competitions IF ANY under thier belt. I had dozens of them from Judo. I would throw them and stall a while. When they really opened up I would sub them. I suggest using the same strategy.

The only reason that I recommended going in as blue is because the hosting school members suggested it. Nothing worse than starting your first match and having everyone groan as people who know you start yelling about your 5 years of Judo (it will be 5 years by thier standards). And the referee will instantly look at you like a sandbagger. Even if you win your victory will be hollow because everyone will look at you like you are on roids.

It's a lose/lose situation. Make the best of it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 2:37pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    You make the assumption that you will only be able to use 20% of your experience.

Last year I won the Gracie Open with Tai Otoshi. The groundwork was only momentary as neither of us would pull guard. So the assumption that the outcome will be decided by groundwork is not always true.

Keep in mind, that 20% of THIER training was probably Judo takedowns.

I had a couple of years of Judo and went into several white belt competitions when I started BJJ. I totally dominated them. Like crushing the **** out of everyone. Most of these white belts had maybe 1 or 2 competitions IF ANY under thier belt. I had dozens of them from Judo. I would throw them and stall a while. When they really opened up I would sub them. I suggest using the same strategy.

The only reason that I recommended going in as blue is because the hosting school members suggested it. Nothing worse than starting your first match and having everyone groan as people who know you start yelling about your 5 years of Judo (it will be 5 years by thier standards). And the referee will instantly look at you like a sandbagger. Even if you win your victory will be hollow because everyone will look at you like you are on roids.

It's a lose/lose situation. Make the best of it.
    I just wanted to know approx. skill level person with 2.5 yrs in Judo to compete in BJJ fairly as possible because I have about same yrs under my belt and I wondered about that. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 5:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I lost my first bjj competition by around 14-4 (or some similar number) I had a sweep or two but the guy continually took me down and when I'd start something on the ground stand up.

2.5 years of judo... compete as a blue.
    To do otherwise would also disrespect your friend's and their club.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 9:03pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Enjoy, the BJJ tournaments are great fun. Make some friends in the other teams and start some friendly rivalries. You'll get to fight the same guys again.

Enjoy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 9:34pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regarding judo in BJJ tournaments, would a judo player be allowed to throw his opponent, then back off and wait for him to get up, throw again, etc. just to rack up points, or is there some provision to prevent that?

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 11:13pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HoratioHooah
    Regarding judo in BJJ tournaments, would a judo player be allowed to throw his opponent, then back off and wait for him to get up, throw again, etc. just to rack up points, or is there some provision to prevent that?
    Most of the time there is, but you have to check your specific ruleset.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast