Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 11:14am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I'm saying that if you take Bas seriously on the points of randomly deciding to choke someone out who you're talking to, cutting someone's throat for pretty much no reason, and breaking someone's leg for bad mouthing your wife, u r dumb.
    I haven't seen the videos in a while, but I think the cut part was emphasizing why you never take your eyes off an opponent, even if he starts to turn away to leave.

The Fade Away attack is a classic bar fight move, one that I've seen (and employed at work) on many occasions. It usually ends up with one person getting dropped immediately by a punch then never expected. Put a knife in someone's hand, and the Fade Away gets that much more dangerous.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 11:28am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson
    Are you saying that its not a good idea to break someones leg for bad mouthing my girl, or that the said leg break wouldn't be effective?
    There is a fine line between being effective and being practical in the long term. It is hard to resist the urge to break someone's face when they bad-mouth your wife or g/f, but if one goes for it, he better be damned sure that if there are no physical consequences to you (or your girl if she becomes 'collateral damage' in a melee), there will be legal consequences for certain.

What's the usefullness of proving my point and **** the guy that insulted my girl, if that will put me in jail (almost certainly) or to have to spend most, if not all of my money and possessions in defending myself in court, which can potentially ruin my life and any romantic relations (serious or not) that I may have? And that's in the best case scenario. In a melee, your girl can get injured since you will never have 100% control of what's going to happen.

Also, if I decide to walk away with my g/f and ignore the asshole, there is a benefit to this: I can see how she reacts. A girl worth keeping will respect my decision to walk away and avoid a fight. In fact, a girl worth keeping would ask me and beg me to ignore the asshole, and would try to pull me away from him.

If, instead, she leaves with me thinking I'm a *****, then I know she is not worth keeping, which is information enough for me to act appropriately in the relationship (dump her and get a new girl, or turn on the "fling mode" for a while and then dump her and get a new girl).

Win-win, no matter how you look at it. Pragmatism >>>> effectiveness.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 11:44am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Elnyka FTW in relationship advice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 11:47am

Style: HKD, TKD, Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108
    Bas has actually spoken on this quite a bit.

He was a bouncer in Europe, not America. He was amazed at the legalities bouncers in America face. Working door, I have to deal with it every time some punk decides to prove his manhood.

Otherwise, lighten up. It's not like nice gentle techniques like flying wrist locks would work either.
    You are not the only one here whose worked a door or 2. I worked as a bouncer, bodyguard, loss prevention, and psych hospitals. Mostly bouncing. Did it for 20 years. Ran security teams and worked solo. Been in more scraps than most on this site have had hot meals.

IMHO, it is not just a question of legalities- though that is a reality- it is a question of ethics. You are drunk and stupid and an asshole. To me, if you wake up with a hangover, in jail, with maybe a post-choke headache and some bruising, that's enough. If you wake up a couple days later in the hospital in a body cast and pissing into a bag, that is overkill.

Any bouncer that inflicts bone-breaking damage for minor infractions is also out to prove something and does not belong on the job, he belongs in jail. When students come to me asking questions about security jobs, the one piece of advice I always start with is "don't take it personally". Do your job, remember- they are drunk and have clouded judgement. Don't do anything you will regret later.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 11:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson
    Anyone else read about him getting into a fight with a bouncer in Russia cuz he got up on the dance floor and started pissing on the guy? Bas Rocks!!!
    Yup, apparently during the early days of MMA, 1992-1996, Bas was involved in a lot of the MMA organizations. Its in that "No Holds Barred" book. Bas apparently doesn't give ****. It mentions the pissing episode in the book. Bas used to get **** drunk and just start fights in bars and at after parties (according to the book) after the events.

ALL HAIL BAS RUTEN...if anyone is gonna know th3 str33t, I would trust that ************.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    You said that about my wife? I'm sorry sir, but I'm going to have to break your leg.
    Bas Ruten, **** yeah!!!!!! Hey on an aside, I just caught Pride Bushido 10 last week and god damn Frank Trigg replaced Bas. I read about it a bit back but when I heard Bas announcing at Pride Unbreakable the week before I thought they worked it out...apparently not.....

Big loss to Pride IMO, I could care less what Trigg has to say.

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 12:06pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DngrRuss1
    You are not the only one here whose worked a door or 2. I worked as a bouncer, bodyguard, loss prevention, and psych hospitals. Mostly bouncing. Did it for 20 years. Ran security teams and worked solo. Been in more scraps than most on this site have had hot meals.

IMHO, it is not just a question of legalities- though that is a reality- it is a question of ethics. You are drunk and stupid and an asshole. To me, if you wake up with a hangover, in jail, with maybe a post-choke headache and some bruising, that's enough. If you wake up a couple days later in the hospital in a body cast and pissing into a bag, that is overkill.

Any bouncer that inflicts bone-breaking damage for minor infractions is also out to prove something and does not belong on the job, he belongs in jail. When students come to me asking questions about security jobs, the one piece of advice I always start with is "don't take it personally". Do your job, remember- they are drunk and have clouded judgement. Don't do anything you will regret later.
    Agreed without equivocation.

Those vids a part of a "street fight" package, and it is hard to tell from the way they are edited together, but often time what he is doing is exhibiting how "unsavory" characters act in bar fights, ie. Fade Away, etc. It's advice from a fighter on street fighting. I wouldn't expect it to be pretty or even legal, but definitely educational.

Again, the point of the vids on this thread is to exemplify Bas's sense of humor.

LP was fun (not)...dealing with desperate heroin addicts is definitely my idea of a good time...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 12:54pm

Style: HKD, TKD, Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sorry, but even if street fight [I]rules[I] apply, breaking some guys leg because he insulted your wife is ridiculous. You deserve to go to jail and get you ass sued off.

No matter how horrible and destructive the technique is that I teach my student, I also make sure that they understand the law and their own ethics. It is one thing to be an unscrupulous fighter who doesn't care what happens to your opponent. But most of my students have a concience. They may react heavily in a Sd situation, cause serious injury, and then 2nd guess their actions and feel tremendous guilt. I use the above leg breaking as an example. Imagine crippling someone just because he ran his mouth. Talk about taking that one with you for life.

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 1:01pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You love to poop parties, don't you?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 1:26pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO, I would value Bas's videos cuz they show the nasty things that can be done to people, no so that I learn them to do them unto others, but at least to be aware that people COULD do that to me.

That, and because Bas is da MAN!!!! THE MAN I TELL YA!!!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 1:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't read the entire thread. Hell, i didn't even watch the whole clip.

I couldn't!

Besides the fact that I have no sound, it was just too funny. I was holding my guts in the whole time. Bas looked totally in his element, beating the ever-living **** out of the dude in the red shirt. Beating people looks easier than breathing for that guy.

If that is from a DVD or something, I want it. Now. nownownow. It's too cool to not have.
    :new_all_c
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 89 LastLast