223856 Bullies, 3777 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 12:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Da SHreDdA
    the guy who runs the place i was at was great! he didnt bullshit and said how **** works and says what doesnt work in kenpo and has no problem saying this or this will work better...probem is...he doesnt instruct which pissed me off, he jus does the introductory classes and then bounces
    ahh one of those.....yeah there's alot of them. Guys that think that they're hot **** grandmastaz that like dictating rather than teaching. I'd say go somewhere else definately then. Doesn't matter how good he is, if he's not making you good then he doesn't deserve your money.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 12:26pm

Style: whatever it takes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    ahh one of those.....yeah there's alot of them. Guys that think that they're hot **** grandmastaz that like dictating rather than teaching. I'd say go somewhere else definately then. Doesn't matter how good he is, if he's not making you good then he doesn't deserve your money.
    yeah i thought i was gonna be learning from him but that wasnt the case, like i said b4 he had a blackbelt he picked run it and had 2 female brownbelts overlook the classes...

no wim kinda like what teh hell i do now? i still want to learn something because i want to have fun with it

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 12:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    where do you live again? Nothing else nearbye?

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 2:25pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he's anywhere near civilization there are both boxing and judo nearby.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 5:33pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    I was in a triangle, frustrated, and a noobie (technically I still am a noob). I knew I was in trouble, but I was so freaking sure I could escape. My head felt like it was going to pop and then I heard a whine/rushing sound and a few people were standing over me laughing. I got up, got a water, had a massive head ache for about 5-6 minutes, then started rolling again.

Personally, I think you will find chokes are not that bad, now by contrast, noobies and joint locks suck bad. I've had noobies elbow me in the face while trying to do armlocks from the mount, and I've had noobies slam on locks like they were trying to rip my arm off while drilling. I'd rather go out then get my arm broke anyday.
    Definitely. I've gone out twice and it really wasn't that bad. I find it worse when someone thinks they have a choke on you, but are really just squeezing your trachea.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 8:52pm

Style: Looking for a new one

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Hey nothings worse than getting KO'd by a knee to the face....god damn that **** sucks.
    Not as bad as an overhand right to the temple. :) I felt it, then was staring at the ceiling with my partner looking down on me and wondering if I was ok. Really disconcerting how quick it happened.

Veritas et Lux!

Jimmy The Hutt

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 8:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    any1 here gonna say whats good about kenpo? is there anything good?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 10:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    any1 here gonna say whats good about kenpo? is there anything good?
    KempoFist and I have commented on a few kenpo threads regarding this subject...here are some of them.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32233

crap...I thought there was one other but I can't find it....anyway.

In most cases, IMO, it is not the style that is crap, it is the teacher. Not only the head instructor either. The head instructor could be Jeff Speakman (watch "The Perfect Weapon" - pretty good Kenpo in there) but if he turns the class over to Chubby McSenpia to instruct, you will get crap.

IMO, a good kenpo instructor is one who 1) recognizes the faults of his particular system....this is true for every style, 2) trains from a modern perspective and is not stuck on the specific technique that his instructor taught his instructor, 3) is able to address these short comings to his/her teaching methods to adapt the style to the real dangers on th3 st33t in 2006, 4) be straight forward with his students and ask them what they hope to learn, 5) and finally LISTEN TO HIS/HER STUDENTS regarding those expectations, after all, the students are the ones who keep the lights on not the ghost of Seikichi Odo or Ed Parker.

whats that like going out from a choke? and y did it happen?
    If you are a grappler, BJJ or otherwise, NOT A CRAPPLER mind you, and you haven't been "choked out", there are always close calls. The difference between going unconscious and keeping your wits about you is really a matter of seconds....not 5 or 8 seconds, but 1 or 2 seconds in some cases.

I've never been "choked out", BUT I have felt the blood rush to my eye balls, my body going limp, and the world start to close into blackness.....all in the space of probably 3 seconds from the time the choke (gi choke from a BB demonstrating a new sweep from half guard to gi choke w/ knee on chest technique) was applied to the time he released the collar. It happened so fast and was apparently applied perfectly that I started to go out before my brain could tell my hand or foot to TAP TAP TAP.

Supposedly, being choked out from a correctly applied carotid choke, as opposed to a trachea choke, is not dangerous. TRACHEA CHOKES ON THE OTHER HAND ARE VERY VERY DANGEROUS. Trachea choke stop your breathing and can cause respiratory arrest. A trachea choke takes time, sometimes minutes to cause unconsciousness and is similar to drowning. With a carotid choke you essentially black out and immediately start to revive as the blood begins to circulate back to the brain. There are revival techniques to assist the flow of blood to help more quickly revive the person.

With a correctly applied carotid choke, say a triangle, most people will black out in about 5 to 8 seconds and provided the choke is released once you see the person black out, the person will wake up in about 5 seconds and should be perfectly fine in a few minutes.

I have choked out two people, RNC and triangle, the triangle was a legitimate choke out and the RNC, I was told he was out but it may have been more like what I experienced with the gi choke. The guy went limp but seemed to pull out of it by the time he hit the mat (I applied it from his back in turtle position, no hooks). I have seen a a couple other people choked out and they pretty much went the same way I described above. No big deal...TAP ************ TAP.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 11:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas
    KempoFist and I have commented on a few kenpo threads regarding this subject...here are some of them.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32233

crap...I thought there was one other but I can't find it....anyway.

In most cases, IMO, it is not the style that is crap, it is the teacher. Not only the head instructor either. The head instructor could be Jeff Speakman (watch "The Perfect Weapon" - pretty good Kenpo in there) but if he turns the class over to Chubby McSenpia to instruct, you will get crap.

IMO, a good kenpo instructor is one who 1) recognizes the faults of his particular system....this is true for every style, 2) trains from a modern perspective and is not stuck on the specific technique that his instructor taught his instructor, 3) is able to address these short comings to his/her teaching methods to adapt the style to the real dangers on th3 st33t in 2006, 4) be straight forward with his students and ask them what they hope to learn, 5) and finally LISTEN TO HIS/HER STUDENTS regarding those expectations, after all, the students are the ones who keep the lights on not the ghost of Seikichi Odo or Ed Parker.

If you are a grappler, BJJ or otherwise, NOT A CRAPPLER mind you, and you haven't been "choked out", there are always close calls. The difference between going unconscious and keeping your wits about you is really a matter of seconds....not 5 or 8 seconds, but 1 or 2 seconds in some cases.

I've never been "choked out", BUT I have felt the blood rush to my eye balls, my body going limp, and the world start to close into blackness.....all in the space of probably 3 seconds from the time the choke (gi choke from a BB demonstrating a new sweep from half guard to gi choke w/ knee on chest technique) was applied to the time he released the collar. It happened so fast and was apparently applied perfectly that I started to go out before my brain could tell my hand or foot to TAP TAP TAP.

Supposedly, being choked out from a correctly applied carotid choke, as opposed to a trachea choke, is not dangerous. TRACHEA CHOKES ON THE OTHER HAND ARE VERY VERY DANGEROUS. Trachea choke stop your breathing and can cause respiratory arrest. A trachea choke takes time, sometimes minutes to cause unconsciousness and is similar to drowning. With a carotid choke you essentially black out and immediately start to revive as the blood begins to circulate back to the brain. There are revival techniques to assist the flow of blood to help more quickly revive the person.

With a correctly applied carotid choke, say a triangle, most people will black out in about 5 to 8 seconds and provided the choke is released once you see the person black out, the person will wake up in about 5 seconds and should be perfectly fine in a few minutes.

I have choked out two people, RNC and triangle, the triangle was a legitimate choke out and the RNC, I was told he was out but it may have been more like what I experienced with the gi choke. The guy went limp but seemed to pull out of it by the time he hit the mat (I applied it from his back in turtle position, no hooks). I have seen a a couple other people choked out and they pretty much went the same way I described above. No big deal...TAP ************ TAP.
    im not an expert but me being in a boxers stance and throwing punches they didnt have a clue on how to counter t his, they only were like "no, u have to stand this way and throw the punch this way" i then got mad and said "that is not real to me" , im glad i jumped out that class because even tho the main guy knew his **** he let others teach...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 12:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    im not an expert but me being in a boxers stance and throwing punches they didnt have a clue on how to counter t his, they only were like "no, u have to stand this way and throw the punch this way" i then got mad and said "that is not real to me" , im glad i jumped out that class because even tho the main guy knew his **** he let others teach...
    Self Defense technique training was exactly the same when I was in Kenpo...christ......15 years ago.

Attacker gets into fighting stance.......

Defender gets into neutral stance......

Attacker takes a half moon step with back leg..........

Defender stands motionless while attacker finishes the d3avast4ting attack..........

Attacker unleashes a lead punch with arm that was chambered at the same time as the half moon step is complete.........

Defender still remains motionless due to fact that Attacker "properly" pulls the lead punch of doom just before destroying the Defender's solar plexus.........

Attacker holds punch out waiting to Defender to counter and destroy him with Overkill Technique Number 5...........

Defender moves to the left (outside of attacker's arm) into a perfect cat stance while simultaneously executing an outward block, i.e., block number 1 from blocking form number 1..............

Defender launches a side blade kick of death to attacker’s knee sending attacker to his knees......

Defender then half moons into attacker and executes the dreaded reverse punch into the back of the attacker’s head, followed by a knee into the back of attacker’s head, followed by a neck break maneuver, followed by a malicious throwing of the now dead attacker backward onto his back, followed by a leaping double face split which opens up the theoretically dead attacker’s face pealing the skin to the sides, followed by another reverse punch to the bloody mess of a face between the defender's legs, followed by a completely necessary knee drop onto the attacker's throat.......

the Defender then steps away from the bloody mess, and an almost certain life sentence, and exhales slowly with as much noise and meaning as possible and makes sure the attacker does not leap up, ala, Dawn of the Dead and attack him again.....
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast