228203 Bullies, 4732 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 10:31am

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Da SHreDdA
    also it seems to me larry t atum would be the pnly guy id train under if i wanted to learn kenpo
    Not me? I'm hurt....

heh, just kidding

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 10:32am

Style: wah lum kungfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The key is tappin out, dont be ashamed, just do it! There is always someone who is going to come into the place thinking there going to kick the black belts ass and end up waking up in there drool.
    As described above, it's a rush and then a nasty head ache, hell you can even get a nasty head ache from a partial choke out when you see stars so to speak. Fiction, I agree on the arm bar scenario, hate it when you go slow with someone and show them how to do it, and then wham, you need to get your arm reset.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 10:59am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Must not have been the REAL kenpo?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 11:33am

Style: whatever it takes

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Must not have been the REAL kenpo?
    no such thing, im all set with spear strikes

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 11:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Kenpo, U.S. Army H2H

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take Okinawa Kenpo and I like it a lot. It's a good supplement to my BJJ and Submission. By the time you get to a black belt, your sparring is pretty much like a NHB match with headgear and feet padding.

I just hope Kempo/Kenpo isn't going to turn into another mcdojo dominated style.

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 11:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadCell
    I take Okinawa Kenpo and I like it a lot. It's a good supplement to my BJJ and Submission. By the time you get to a black belt, your sparring is pretty much like a NHB match with headgear and feet padding.

I just hope Kempo/Kenpo isn't going to turn into another mcdojo dominated style.
    Too late....but luckily for you, Okinawan Kenpo isn't the same as most Kempo schools in the US, who's lineage goes back to Mitose. I don't know alot about Okinawan Kenpo, but I hear it's more like traditional Japanese Karate than anything else.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 12:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Too late....but luckily for you, Okinawan Kenpo isn't the same as most Kempo schools in the US, who's lineage goes back to Mitose. I don't know alot about Okinawan Kenpo, but I hear it's more like traditional Japanese Karate than anything else.
    can u tell me whats so great about kenpo?

id probaly take it again if there were no katas and **** and air striking

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 12:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    can u tell me whats so great about kenpo?

id probaly take it again if there were no katas and **** and air striking
    Here's my latest comments on this:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=32942&page=11

Beyond that post I'll say there's nothing really great about Kempo that sets it apart from anything else. The way I learned it, was as an ecclectic style, but I only found out the only reason I learned to fight was because of my instructors training methods, as well as his drills which he added in from past martial arts experience. The various kempo systems, can be made to work, but as a whole, it needs an overhaul. The principles (constant high-low attacks with hands and feet simultaneously, striking to particular points such as the throat/eyes/groin/nose etc...) need to remain entact while the system is modernized, and the baseless dogmas of TFT-reaction training are removed.

In the end, I'd say just train in something else, unless by chance there happens to be a really good, and realistic instructor in your area.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 12:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Here's my latest comments on this:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=32942&page=11

Beyond that post I'll say there's nothing really great about Kempo that sets it apart from anything else. The way I learned it, was as an ecclectic style, but I only found out the only reason I learned to fight was because of my instructors training methods, as well as his drills which he added in from past martial arts experience. The various kempo systems, can be made to work, but as a whole, it needs an overhaul. The principles (constant high-low attacks with hands and feet simultaneously, striking to particular points such as the throat/eyes/groin/nose etc...) need to remain entact while the system is modernized, and the baseless dogmas of TFT-reaction training are removed.

In the end, I'd say just train in something else, unless by chance there happens to be a really good, and realistic instructor in your area.
    the guy who runs the place i was at was great! he didnt bullshit and said how **** works and says what doesnt work in kenpo and has no problem saying this or this will work better...probem is...he doesnt instruct which pissed me off, he jus does the introductory classes and then bounces

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 12:20pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the guy who runs the place i was at was great! he didnt bullshit and said how **** works and says what doesnt work in kenpo and has no problem saying this or this will work better...probem is...he doesnt instruct which pissed me off, he jus does the introductory classes and then bounces
    Does he teach the advanced classes? Its possible he just thinks it isn't worth his time to teach beginners.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast