Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 1:04pm

Style: Yang style Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chinese punches tend to snap out and back, without a lot of body weigh behind them, just some waist torque. Frankly, they don't hit quite as hard. I was also not quite as complient as might have been desireable.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 4:57pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro
    Chinese punches tend to snap out and back, without a lot of body weigh behind them, just some waist torque. Frankly, they don't hit quite as hard. I was also not quite as complient as might have been desireable.
    I remember being hit by a Kung Fu bloke in the chest by some kind of outer wrist strike. It was like a kakuto uke ("Crane Block") in Karate, except with the outside wrist facing the opponent, whipped down in some odd-looking twisting movement. It had quite a bit of percussive power, given it was undertaken in slowly and softly. It wasn't as powerful as an old-fashioned punch, but it has some torque in it. Any idea what that was?
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/08/2006 2:34pm

Style: Koei-Kan, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro
    I see. I have to laugh at a lot of the students I went through Aikido with. For some reason (I attribute it to just being unexperienced) every single one of them felt that they should be able to do any technique, the first time a punch/kick is thrown at them. Sort of like a "one shot, one kill" mentality. I think it is the way it is trained on a daily basis and lack of instruction in less compliant situations.

Posted On:
    4/08/2006 2:37pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FredGarvinMP
    I see. I have to laugh at a lot of the students I went through Aikido with. For some reason (I attribute it to just being unexperienced) every single one of them felt that they should be able to do any technique, the first time a punch/kick is thrown at them. Sort of like a "one shot, one kill" mentality. I think it is the way it is trained on a daily basis and lack of instruction in less compliant situations.

We train against flurries sometimes, if there are enough good people at the dojo who can handle it and aren't afraid to hit you. One thing about aikido is that it attracts a lot of people who actually want to be doing bullcrap.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234