Administrator

Posted On:
    4/05/2006 2:26am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tactical training vs Target shooting

I went to the range today after a month, no, a few months of not shooting as often, and decided to do target shooting, instead of tactical, ie pulling from holster, double tap then head shot, etc.

I was pleasantly surprised that I shot better than the last time I did target. Which was about 6 months or so ago.

Even more surprising, I shoot better with my left hand. Which shouldn't much of a surprise, as I"m Left handed, and left eye dominant, but shoot with right hand.

I started a new drill. at 7 yards, do firearm at ready, pointed to floor, pop up for a double tap, back to ready. Standard target, 12"x12" bullseye.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2006 9:15am

Style: ex-TKD 2 Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do the same drills I learned way back when in MP School. Outdoor range with both open tables and plexi glass walled booths.

Two hand right , Two hand left , right H around a barricade , Left hand around barricade - I use the 'booths' side walls for that - a one handed right , one handed left , then speedier shooting with both eyes open.

I shoot Sigs ( 9mm P228 & .45 P220 ) so I mix up the reloads by shooting incomplete mags and decocking between switches: shoot 8 right ( or 5 with the .45, decock & finish mag lefty. Reload, decock , next grip. etc.... lefty decock makes the range officers a little nervous but I take as much time as it takes to get it right , and slowly up the speed.

I'm starting to rethink the whole Mozambique drill concept : 2 CM one head. Why not 3 to the head ? The Drill itself is based on a 'failure' followed a cure. Why not skip the failure part ?

Posted On:
    4/05/2006 9:29am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Easier to hit center mass right off maybe? Hell, even if the guy's wearing some armor he'll pause a sec from the impact.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    4/05/2006 9:36am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to mix up our training I have some suggestions - and if you find a range that will allow this sort of **** let me know, I'll grab my Glock and fly out right away.

Drill part one - from a standing position draw your weapon. As soon as you have a strong grip, dive forward into the prone position. In mid-dive, execute adouble tap into a target five meters away. (Wear elbow pads for this one, or you'll regret it!) Absorb the majority of the shock with your feet, then knees, then hips. For practice purposes, this should absolutely be done on a mat.

Drill part two - From the prone position, roll over on to your back. Land with your legs seperated, knees bent . Point you pistol between your knees and flex your abs to bring your upper back off the ground. Your weapon should be pointing the opposite direction. Execute another doube tap into a target five meters away. DO NOT TRY THIS IN SHORTS. Powder burns bring tears to the eyes and quivers to the lips, an your masculine aura will evaporate at the sobs eminate from your quivering body.

Alternatively, you can fall back into the supprone, then roll over and and fire from the prone.

This drill would be used when someone "gets the drop on you," or is able to draw their weapon unexpectedly. It is very James Bond and I doubt you'll ever need to use it, but there's nothing like a little acrobatic marksmanship to make gun range guys think you're some sort of God.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/05/2006 9:55am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Done part one, numerous times, though we don't fall on any bones. We shoot resting on large muscles, back, thigh, triceps.

Part two is a little iffy, too many things to go wrong. I'm of the school of thought of NOT discharging your firearm in front of any of your body parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Posted On:
    4/05/2006 10:03am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    #1 sounds like serious fun. I like my feet too much to attempt #2.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    4/05/2006 10:13am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't describe it well, you won't hit your feet, I promise. I can't remember the name of the position to save my damned life (haven't had my coffee, just got up, lazy ex-soldier, I know.) As soon as I remember I'll google it and get a good link on here.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/05/2006 12:15pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    #1 sounds like serious fun. I like my feet too much to attempt #2.

That was pretty much my thought, mainly cause I am not comfortable enough with a firearm to attempt #2.
    Last edited by Plasma; 4/05/2006 12:19pm at .

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/05/2006 12:18pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    If you want to mix up our training I have some suggestions - and if you find a range that will allow this sort of **** let me know, I'll grab my Glock and fly out right away.

Drill part one - from a standing position draw your weapon. As soon as you have a strong grip, dive forward into the prone position. In mid-dive, execute adouble tap into a target five meters away. (Wear elbow pads for this one, or you'll regret it!) Absorb the majority of the shock with your feet, then knees, then hips. For practice purposes, this should absolutely be done on a mat.

Drill part two - From the prone position, roll over on to your back. Land with your legs seperated, knees bent . Point you pistol between your knees and flex your abs to bring your upper back off the ground. Your weapon should be pointing the opposite direction. Execute another doube tap into a target five meters away. DO NOT TRY THIS IN SHORTS. Powder burns bring tears to the eyes and quivers to the lips, an your masculine aura will evaporate at the sobs eminate from your quivering body.

Alternatively, you can fall back into the supprone, then roll over and and fire from the prone.

This drill would be used when someone "gets the drop on you," or is able to draw their weapon unexpectedly. It is very James Bond and I doubt you'll ever need to use it, but there's nothing like a little acrobatic marksmanship to make gun range guys think you're some sort of God.

Very cool. The main one I been practicing, other then the standard double tap, is 2 to the body and 1 to the head (incase they are wearing a vest). I want to improve a lot more in this, before trying the more acrobat stuff you suggested.

PS. I wrote those down. Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2006 1:16pm

Style: ex-TKD 2 Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The range officers will flip if I try that ...

But. I have a piece of land in Maine I am about to start spending weekends at.

75' Pistol range is project #1 . Longer if i can sort out the backstop issues for rifles.

And both those drills are great ideas. Thank You.

Phrost, you're right , of course , about greater hit ratio when aiming COM , I wonder though if the idea of 2 &1 is any better than 3 high ... maybe not.

I keep thinking about the kid who jumped the turnstiles in London last fall. The London Police - who don't carry firearms - hit him in the head something like 4 times without taking a body shot. ... Who ever the f they were , they seemed to be pretty serious shooters.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast