flee humans

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    5/26/2006 2:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not you, Johnnyfive. He'd kick your ass. He told me so.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2006 1:01am

Style: Hayabusa Ninjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I know thread necromancy is looked down upon, but I just had to put in my two cents worth on this. Plus I know the thread starter. He's a regular at gamespy.com, and right now we're having a discussion about why TKD sucks in the misc. discussion section of the site. Oh yeah, and I was about to start my own thread about this, but I used the search function. (So pat this newb on the back!)

I don't exactly think the UFC ruleset favors grapplers. But I do think it favors groundfighters. I don't really think the rules need to change at all either. Just that people need to stop calling UFC "real fighting". Allow me to explain...

1. No kicking to the head when the opponent is down: This rule is nessecary but it favors throws where both opponents go the ground as opposed to judo style throws that leave one fighter standing.

2. The mat is not hard ground/concrete: It's good to have a semi-soft mat and all, but in real life a good judo style throw will end the fight.

3. No striking the back of the neck: If this isn't allowed then shouldn't takedowns that expose one's neck to this sort of attack be banned too?

Now I know that the UFC used to allow all these things, and that the groundfighters still won. That may be true but I think that's more of a testament to the fact that a lot of people didn't know anything about defending agianst takedowns, or how to toss people to the ground judo style.

So anyway I think the current UFC ruleset favors ground grappling as opposed to judo style throws followed up by a few headstomps.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    7/12/2006 1:04am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The UFC is real fighting, it's simply not a street fight simulator.

Also, in pride, where head stomping is legal, there's still more ground grappling then head stomping.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2006 7:04am

Style: Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pride for the win! I agree with AnnaTrocity but I also see your point, Crazyman. What this says is that the world needs more well-rounded martial artists!

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/12/2006 7:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyman
    Now I know that the UFC used to allow all these things, and that the groundfighters still won. That may be true but I think that's more of a testament to the fact that a lot of people didn't know anything about defending agianst takedowns, or how to toss people to the ground judo style.
    There were, of course, two highly ranked Judoka in the first three UFCs who might have been expected to have some idea.

Posted On:
    7/12/2006 8:57am

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jettatore:

If anyone needs to take a free trial BJJ class, it is you. Also, be sure to tell them you have rolled before.

>>>>Edit:

I could have sworn I have seen yellow cards given at Pride for kicks to the head of an opponent on the ground. If head stomps are legal, why would they ban kicks to the head?
    Last edited by Fearless Ukemi; 7/12/2006 9:05am at .

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    7/12/2006 9:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyman
    Well I know thread necromancy is looked down upon, but I just had to put in my two cents worth on this. Plus I know the thread starter. He's a regular at gamespy.com, and right now we're having a discussion about why TKD sucks in the misc. discussion section of the site. Oh yeah, and I was about to start my own thread about this, but I used the search function. (So pat this newb on the back!)

3. No striking the back of the neck: If this isn't allowed then shouldn't takedowns that expose one's neck to this sort of attack be banned too?

not sure if we are talking about the same thing but I imagine you generally mean the deadly elbow to the back of the head during a shoot?

There's a video posted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ct3U...eff%20speakman of kempo with grappling at some point a guy shoots in and the other guy hits him with elbows to the back. The guy shooting in still takes him down.

For the most part blows to the back of the head like that are useless against a good shoot.

If that's not what you're talking about then never mind

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2006 10:01am

supporting member
     Style: no gi bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The answer to this thread is still "No."
    -Jordan
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast