Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 9:29pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is the UFC Bullshido?

Hypothesis: The UFC, and simillarly styled events, are Bullshido due to the rule sets which favor grappling over stand up fighting.

Here's the UFC's Official Rules list...

In particular, the following fouls favor the grappling arts while on the ground....

2. Eye gouging of any kind.
    3. Biting.
    5. Fish hooking.
    6. Groin attacks of any kind.
    7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent.
    8. Small joint manipulation.
    11. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea.
    12. Clawing, pinching or twisting the flesh.
    13. Grabbing the clavicle.

And these fouls (with some overlap) further limit the stand-up artist...

11. Throat strikes of any kind, including, without limitation, grabbing the trachea.
    14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
    15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
    16. Stomping a grounded opponent.
    17. Kicking to the kidney with the heel.
    18. Spiking an opponent to the canvas on his head or neck.

And finally, protective gear like cups, mouthpieces and gloves favor the grappler more than the stand-up artist.

Without these rules in place, the ground would certaintly be a less safe place to be during a true no holds barred match-up. Unfortunately I can't fully test my hypothesis, but simple analasys of the facts leads me to conclude that the UFC is complete and utter Bullshido.

In responce to this I feel there needs to be an inverse to the term Crappling to define just the opposite. A grappler, coddled and delusioned by a fixed ruleset, who calls himself a true Mixed Martial Artist because he learned some very basic Kickboxing which he executes very rigid and ackwardly. Crapboxing, or the Crapboxer would seem quite fitting.
    Last edited by Jettatore; 4/04/2006 9:37pm at .

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 9:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Search function!
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 9:43pm

Style: Sanda, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettatore
    Hypothesis: The UFC, and simillarly styled events, are Bullshido due to the rule sets which favor grappling over stand up fighting.

Here's the UFC's Official Rules list...

In particular, the following fouls favor the grappling arts while on the ground....

3. Biting.
    5. Fish hooking.
    7. Putting a finger into any orifice or into any cut or laceration on an opponent.

And these fouls (with some overlap) further limit the stand-up artist...

14. Kicking the head of a grounded opponent.
    15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
    16. Stomping a grounded opponent.

And finally, protective gear like cups, mouthpieces and gloves favor the grappler more than the stand-up artist.

Without these rules in place, the ground would certaintly be a less safe place to be during a true no holds barred match-up. Unfortunately I can't fully test my hypothesis, but simple analasys of the facts leads me to conclude that the UFC is complete and utter Bullshido.

In responce to this I feel there needs to be an inverse to the term Crappling to define just the opposite. A grappler, coddled and delusioned by a fixed ruleset, who calls himself a true Mixed Martial Artist because he learned some very basic Kickboxing which he executes very rigid and ackwardly. Crapboxing, or the Crapboxer would seem quite fitting.
    No. Gloves actually favor strikers by the way, let them retain KO power while preventing them from breaking their hands.

and... search function. This has been addressed like... a kabillion times.

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 9:45pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, its a sport.

Professional Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 9:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A UFC fighter told me that the UFC wants stand-up fighters.He was told by the UFC that if he trioed to take his opponant downthat they probably wouldn;t have him back.
    Dana White is on record stating that the UFC wants to see stand-up fights.They put in rounds AND restarts.You are generally allowed around 2 minutes on the ground.
    Mark Coleman was undefeated in the UFC.Then they instituted the stand-up rule and he lost his next 2 fights.He said "I kept hearing McCarthy yelling at me to do more of he would stand me up, so I couldn't get the takedown and relax a minute before I attacked.It tired me out fast."
    MMA with no rules would be FAR more grappling than it is now.You'd have wrestlers getting guys down wedging them into the cage and gouging, headbutting and elbowing without needing to get the elevation required to throw knockout blows.They'd stay chest to chest and try the old Dan Severn move(rub head into his face til he bleeds and they stop it).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 9:52pm

Style: BJJ Gi and noGi,MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you know if you just posted that statement I guess you would be in trollshido by now. But since you posted all that junk I guesss you are up for a nice flame war...
    Oh well... here we go again!

Professional Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 9:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay lets talk about the IVC, there rules are here pasted from the website
    I.V.C. LAWS

No biting
    No eye gouging
    No fishing hook
    No holding the ropes
    No kicking if wearing shoes
    No placing hands or feet inside the opponent's trunks

The referee can restart the fight

Incidently the "restart" rule was put in because matches would stay down for the full 30 minutes.
    The "trunks" rule was instituted when Gary Goodridge kept reaching into Pedro Octavio's trunks and squeezing his junk.But in that match it was allowed, so the ref did nothing.The Pedro eventually quit, more from feeling violated than being in pain IMO.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 9:56pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In responce to this I feel there needs to be an inverse to the term Crappling to define just the opposite. A grappler, coddled and spoonfed by a fixed ruleset, who calls himself a true Mixed Martial Artist because he learned some very basic Kickboxing which he executes very rigid and ackwardly. Crapboxing, or the Crapboxer would seem quite fitting.
    As if kickboxers aren't coddled by a restrictive ruleset.

MMA is a SPORT with RULES. The rules are there to protect the participants from debilitating injury. The fans and the fighters alike don't want to see peoples nuts get squished and eyes gouged out, they want knockouts, takedowns and submissions.

MMA has never claimed to be self defense. So what are you calling bullshit on?

Do you even follow the sport? If you did you would know that most of the champions favor striking not grappling to win their fights.

('._.)

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 10:01pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well sometimes I get the feeling Im watching a bad kickboxing fight with smaller gloves when I watch UFC, but its alright. Time limits and standups due to inactivity are neccessary. Watch UFC 5, Royce Gracie VS Ken Shamrock to see what happens when two good grapplers fight with no time limit. They just lay on the floor for 40 minutes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 10:04pm

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3. Biting.
    5. Fish hooking.
    All these favor strikers, actually. The grappler is gonna have superior position. You want him able to eye gouge you while he's got mount?
    This was renowned striker Royce Gracie's staple back in the early UFCs.
    Once again, this favors strikers. Which strikers are slamming people in UFC exactly? Pretty much the only people who slam in MMA are wrestlers like Hughes and Rampage.
    Last edited by Meager; 4/04/2006 10:06pm at .
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast