Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 5:39pm

Style: Muay Thai/KF/Boxing/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ and Nei jia = Brothers in arms?

http://contactsparring.blogspot.com/

The latest blog entry compares Nei Jia (internal martial arts like Ba Gua) to BJJ, and uses it to explain (poorly IMO) how Matt Hughes really didn't beat Royce Gracie, but Royce was just conserving energy, and waiting for his moment to strike. Have a read I will leave the judgements up to you guys. Personally I think it is a load of :bsflag:

Ja

Rei

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 5:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A more interesting link between IMA and BJJ can be found by googling on 'Tim Cartmell'.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 6:02pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah.

The guy is an uniformed idiot. Sounds like he spent 10 years doing IM and then got turned on to the UFC's and is somehow trying to rationalize his training. I am absolutely positive the guy has no MMA or real fighting experience if he thinks that none of Hughes punches really landed.

The guy is a Royce nuthugger and IM apologist too boot. He sickens me.

If you go on to read the crap about Tito/Ken you realize how fucked up this idiot really is when he says that Ken is the better fighter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2006 6:08pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Principles of Nei Jia;" an entire book could be written on this subject alone. Unfortunately there are only a handfull of Martial Artists that i know of (myself included), who study both and understand how remarkably similar in principle (though not in approach), they are.. ...
    Now the most obvious difference is that BJJ pays no attention to "Chi" (or "Ki" for the Japanese Aikido practicioners).

no, I'm pretty sure the most obvious difference is that BJJ works ...

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 2:45am

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by G8
    "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Principles of Nei Jia;" an entire book could be written on this subject alone. Unfortunately there are only a handfull of Martial Artists that i know of (myself included), who study both and understand how remarkably similar in principle (though not in approach), they are.. ...
    Now the most obvious difference is that BJJ pays no attention to "Chi" (or "Ki" for the Japanese Aikido practicioners).

no, I'm pretty sure the most obvious difference is that BJJ works ...

Perhaps there is a connection between BJJ's efficacy and its lack of focus on "chi"?

The biggest BS flag is this:

there are only a handfull of Martial Artists that i know of (myself included)
    Self-aggrandizing guru syndrome is a major, major indicator that whatever follows is going to be bullshit.
    --
    L.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 12:47pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im told to sit in a kneeling position at an hour at time everyday to improve my base because i get swept like dirt. Right now, i find it difficult because sitting on my instep is painful, and im not flexible enough to sit on the balls of my feet either.

Which isnt at all different from when i used to sit in horse stance for long periods. Of course back then it was to 'promote chi circulation' or to 'strenghten my legs'. The end result was neither really, but it gave me a standing base.

I detest neijia theory. It gives outdated, grandiose and complex explanations for the most simplest activity with simple goals in mind.

And in my mind, if kungfu trashed all those theories/weird classification and rampant use of vague metaphor today, kungfu as a whole would be infinitely better off tomorrow.

I swear to god that john locke had it right when he said metaphors==the suck.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 12:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Neija is like a lotus blossom floating on a pool of excriment.

How's that for deep thought!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 12:52pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MartialArtN00b
    Im told to sit in a kneeling position at an hour at time everyday to improve my base because i get swept like dirt. Right now, i find it difficult because sitting on my instep is painful, and im not flexible enough to sit on the balls of my feet either.

Which isnt at all different from when i used to sit in horse stance for long periods. Of course back then it was to 'promote chi circulation' or to 'strenghten my legs'. The end result was neither really, but it gave me a standing base.

I detest neijia theory. It gives outdated, grandiose and complex explanations for the most simplest activity with simple goals in mind.

And in my mind, if kungfu trashed all those theories/weird classification and rampant use of vague metaphor today, kungfu as a whole would be infinitely better off tomorrow.

I swear to god that john locke had it right when he said metaphors==the suck.
    I agree mostly.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 1:07pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This guy is a dipshit.
    To say that fight was stoped early is absolute ignorance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2006 3:11pm

Style: Aunkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd argue that internal martial arts has a lot more to do with fighting on the ground than most would think, same for standup as well.

Look at how a guy who has done the stuff for years and years moves, who can no longer rely simply on powering a technique. Instead they rely on body mechanics that they have learned over the years.

Now imagine what somebody who is young, who has that internal knowledge and has a good deal of strength can do. Thats where some IMA knowledge seems to shortcut. In most cases people seems to pick the stuff up eventually, but it never seems to be explicitly taught, thats where some IMA type training can be useful.

A good example is a golf swing, someone who has a great golf swing relies on body mechanics far more than simply hiting as hard as possible.

Note, I am not arguing that bodymechanics trumphs technique or muscular power, merely that a great grasp of bodymechancs enhances both.
    Last edited by hl1978; 7/07/2006 3:20pm at .
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast