Page 5 of 6 First 123456 Last
  1. #41
    Draven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,755
    Style
    Mixed Martial Arts
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have something brown on your nose elbowtko...

  2. #42
    PointyShinyBurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,216
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    :5dunce:
    Come on. You know what I mean. Where do the best and brightest investment bankers go? Wall street and not the state farm office in podunk, MO right? Why? Money.
    My point was that boxing skill != MMA skill. Fedor isn't in Pride because he's an inferior boxer, he's there because of all the other **** he can do that boxers can't.

  3. #43
    Mr. Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    3,309
    Style
    Being a total psychopath
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When my father used to get into street fights as a teenager he would beat the **** out of people who would try to kick him in fights. He said it was because they were untrained so they had bad balance to try and kick.

    In my Taekwon do class I would tear people up when I would just use punches. My instructor would yell at me and tell me to kick more.

  4. #44
    Draven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,755
    Style
    Mixed Martial Arts
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    My point was that boxing skill != MMA skill. Fedor isn't in Pride because he's an inferior boxer, he's there because of all the other **** he can do that boxers can't.
    Yeah I think thats a pretty well known fact. MMA/kickboxing isnīt as big as boxing so the talent pool isnīt as big. I mean, you think a former NFL guy could beat the best boxers in the world like Bob Sapp did in K-1?

  5. #45
    PointyShinyBurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,216
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSamurai
    Yeah I think thats a pretty well known fact. MMA/kickboxing isnīt as big as boxing so the talent pool isnīt as big. I mean, you think a former NFL guy could beat the best boxers in the world like Bob Sapp did in K-1?
    And how well does he do in MMA? The idea that boxers would clean up in MMA is nonsense, because the skill sets involved are radically different. A guy can have good hands, but be utterly laughable on the ground, or be unable to shin check, or sprawl, or any of the other hundreds of things that differentiate MMA from boxing.
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 4/06/2006 2:00am at .

  6. #46

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    23,668
    Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To end the debate I think boxing is a neccessary skill for MMA. I've been fortunate enough be able to spar with some pretty talented boxers. They help me get my timing down and it's pretty easy to mimic alot of their techniques from my kung-fu training. Unfortunately for most boxers is that their stances limit their defense vs other systems. If the other person knows boxing then the pure boxer tends to get screwed. Of course the person and skill level comes into play..


    damn I'm babbling again...


    You demo sucks Anna.

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,334
    Style
    Kyokushin and Judo.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    To end the debate I think boxing is a neccessary skill for MMA. I've been fortunate enough be able to spar with some pretty talented boxers. They help me get my timing down and it's pretty easy to mimic alot of their techniques from my kung-fu training. Unfortunately for most boxers is that their stances limit their defense vs other systems. If the other person knows boxing then the pure boxer tends to get screwed. Of course the person and skill level comes into play..


    damn I'm babbling again...


    You demo sucks Anna.

    This is true.

    What pisses me off is that if anyone else said this, they would be flammed for their trouble and given a rapp-on about how no other striking art is equiped to take on boxing.Especially kung fu. But because Omega says it....no one says ****.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

  8. #48

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    23,668
    Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    This is true.

    What pisses me off is that if anyone else said this, they would be flammed for their trouble and given a rapp-on about how no other striking art is equiped to take on boxing.Especially kung fu. But because Omega says it....no one says ****.
    Thanks dude, that made me laugh.

  9. #49
    alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    8,202
    Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    And how well does he do in MMA?
    well for someone with pretty much no training he did pretty fucking well against noguiera. if Nog didnt have a chin made of granite he would have been knocked the **** out.

  10. #50
    and good morning to you too supporting member
    PirateJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    3,240
    Style
    MT/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    This is true.

    What pisses me off is that if anyone else said this, they would be flammed for their trouble and given a rapp-on about how no other striking art is equiped to take on boxing.Especially kung fu. But because Omega says it....no one says ****.
    what the hell are you talking about? He said he learnd from boxing and boxers, and that it was great stuff, but that the stance is limiting (true) and that if you know boxing + other stuff you will have an advantage over the pure boxer (also true). Where's the part we should flame?


    PSB - watch a few mma matches and note how much of the time is spent doing boxing-style standup.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Page 5 of 6 First 123456 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO