Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 5:14pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren San
    Ok Let's try this. Hitting the punching post (makiwara) is like weight training or resistance training. You slowly build up power in your strikes over time and with slow steadily increasing repetition. Your stance strengthens, your leg muscles strengthen, your arm muscles strengthen, your ligaments, sinews, and tendons all strengthen. You learn how to properly focus your entire body's power in that punch.
    ...which is what I get out of a bag workout. I also get the added benefit of seeing the bag go from swinging to denting as my strikes improve. Furthermore, the bag moves in response to the strikes so I can hit it while using non-trivial footwork.
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 2/03/2007 8:00pm at .

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 5:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    Or you could . . . you know . . . video tape your class sparring. That would be cheaper for all of us, assuming you have access to a video camera.
    You lack perspective. It is a well-known fact that BJJers are, of course, more athletic, sociable, and overall well-hung than their TMA counterparts. This much is obvious and has been proven countless times in official Coolness Reports performed annually by the Department of Rad. However, did you know that traditional karateka also have zero media management skills? It's true! Unbeknownst even the average MMA fighter, training in BJJ doubles as training in Avid, After Effects, and Dreamweaver. This is why we always have cameras onhand should a dojo challange spontaneously break out, while the karateka assumes a three-paragraph anecdote will suffice. This phenomena also explains how we can post a video of ourselves training without needing a forty-page essay justifying/explaining/defending what we're doing.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 5:41pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I posted when you whined about it on another thread Darren San..

Look TMA the way you want other people to recognize it is gone.

TMA=XMA, Forms Champions, Life lessons, and Philosphy.

Yes, this is what it is now.

Yes, there are true TMAs out there but they are few and far between. Most are in garages except for MMA(modern Definition plz!) or grappling schools.

All this crying against grappling and MMA, when they hold the ideals TMAs used to entertain, makes TMAers look stupid.

Your school may be great but I bet within a 5 mile radius there are at least 5 McDojos teachning BS. So, if TMA equals 5 times the bullshido then TMA no longer means hardcore training and fighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 5:47pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren San
    The exmples you all are so fond of, and keep regurgitating ,are nothing more than examples of bullshit, hollywood, air-karate, sissy crap. None of the people pictured in those examples would know a traditional karate practitioner if one came up and knocked them flat on the collective asses.
    This is sort of the point, isn't it? Why would we make fun of good karateka?

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 6:56pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It Is Fake makes a great point. There are great TMA instructors out there who get little to no recognition while just down the street you've got a dozen Bullshido McDojos with dozens of students who couldn't fight if there lives depended on it.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 7:11pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Darren-san, I understand what your saying there are a lot of TMAs that get bashed on here _ing _un, TKD, KungFu etc. The problem is not the people here at Bullshido bashing them.

The problem is a total lack of quality control that is exhibited by practioners of these systems. Why does TKD get bashed? Because almost every school you go into has 8 yr. old BB, and no contact sparring, and tests that everyone passes. Why does Kung Fu get bashed? Because almost every school you go into has no contact sparring, or resistance training and they lead their students to believe they can defend themselves when they can't.
    Why does _ing_un get bashed? I can't answer this because I have never been in a _ing_un school, so I'll let someone else answer that one.

So why does Karate get bashed? That's right you guessed it!! For many of the same reasons the other TMAs get bashed.

If your school is different, that's great. I applaud you for instituting some quality control and taking some responsibility in trying to improve the reputation of Karate. But remember for every one of you there are 100 video certified "Masters" who probably don't even know what Makiwara is that have opened there own schools.

So my advice is don't take the Karate bashing seriously, if you and your students are training hard and producing capable fighters then the Karate Bashers here at Bullshido aren't talking about you.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 7:15pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Betty
    The makiwara is the dumbest training tool ever made. Seriously, how low does your IQ have to be to think those damn things are useful. And what the **** are you gonna say when you're at or past middle age with terrible arthritis?
    I have to admit the makiwara has some negatives. I've been hitting one since 1981 and I do have a documented arthritic change in my hands, but they did get hard.
    Overall, I think the heavy bag is a much better workout; it gives you focus, timing and cardio.
    My instructor has punched a makiwara for thirty-five years and has no problems with his hands. Well, except they look like bricks with golf balls glued to the end. But getting bumped by one of them during a sparring session really stings.
    Anyway, it is comparing apples to oranges, both have their purpose, although the makiwara is limited.

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 7:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train under a long line of karateka who smack themselves with hammers for fun and my instructor still doesn't have us pounding away on makiwaras. I'd ask him for the specific reasoning behind this, but I don't really care.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 9:01pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin.74
    Darren-san, I understand what your saying there are a lot of TMAs that get bashed on here _ing _un, TKD, KungFu etc. The problem is not the people here at Bullshido bashing them.

The problem is a total lack of quality control that is exhibited by practioners of these systems. Why does TKD get bashed? Because almost every school you go into has 8 yr. old BB, and no contact sparring, and tests that everyone passes. Why does Kung Fu get bashed? Because almost every school you go into has no contact sparring, or resistance training and they lead their students to believe they can defend themselves when they can't.
    Why does _ing_un get bashed? I can't answer this because I have never been in a _ing_un school, so I'll let someone else answer that one.

So why does Karate get bashed? That's right you guessed it!! For many of the same reasons the other TMAs get bashed.

If your school is different, that's great. I applaud you for instituting some quality control and taking some responsibility in trying to improve the reputation of Karate. But remember for every one of you there are 100 video certified "Masters" who probably don't even know what Makiwara is that have opened there own schools.

So my advice is don't take the Karate bashing seriously, if you and your students are training hard and producing capable fighters then the Karate Bashers here at Bullshido aren't talking about you.
    Amen. If traditional Karateka (and Judoka, and the like) have trained solidly, they should be joining everyone else in bagging Mcdojos (which are bad for everyone, not just the MMA crowd).

I should add (and I'm sure it's been added before) that the label 'traditional' can be misleading, since what we call TMAs of Japan were themselves products of modernity (including interaction with the West). While they retained many aspects of older martial arts (morals, courtesies, tecnhiques), they were often very realistic in their fighting. I think Judo is a particularly good example of this (in its non-sport form). Some contemporary TMA dojos have retained this flexibility and adaptability, and adhere to the notion of 'tradition' because of the value system they espouse (and often because they are Japanofiles), not because they are unrealistic about fighting.

But again, I get the sense that these are in the minority, particularly in the US. Is there anyone who has trained in Japanese TMA both in Australia and the US, and can compare the experiences? Given most folk on Bullshido are from the States, it would be good to have some point of reference.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 9:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Villain
    Didn't know you still trained in karate.
    My dojo is a Karate / BJJ / MMA school. I've been contemplating getting a real Shotokan black belt next year since I'll be part-time at school.
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast