Posted On:
    4/04/2006 2:04pm

Style: N/A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gracies partially McDojo!?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...Gracie&pl=true

Helios Gracie interview.
    Between the 18th and 20th minute he talks about Carlson Garcie's son who gives a certificate to somebody who buys BJJ tapes. He doesn't think about it positive but approves it because he thinks the real BJJ should only be known by Gracie family members.

In the interview he mentions that in Brazil people starve. The minimum wage is 100$ but in Americs it's 1000 or 2000$. That's why the Gracies expanded. To make money.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 2:09pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jadran partially idiot?

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 2:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    THIS IS BRAND NEW INFORMATION!!!! YOU'VE OPENED OUR EYES!!! GOOD WORK JADRAN!!!

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 2:17pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadran
    In the interview he mentions that in Brazil people starve. The minimum wage is 100$ but in Americs it's 1000 or 2000$. That's why the Gracies expanded. To make money.
    ****, back in Honduras, jobs where quit shitty, which is why I moved to the US...

... oh ****!!! I'm a walking mcDojo!!! ...must ...commit... :seppuku:

:tard: :5dunce: :jerkit2yf :eusa_doh: :tard: :5dunce: :jerkit2yf :eusa_doh: :tard: :5dunce: :jerkit2yf :eusa_doh:
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 2:21pm

Style: N/A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My intention was not to troll nor attack the BJJ. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    uh oh, seems Helio's fallen victim to "teh deadly street" argument as well. When will these TMA instructors ever learn that the only way to train for the street is to compete in NHB competitions???

Helio: We have lots of good fighters here in Brazil, who can go all over the world with the jiu-jitsu they know and they are going to defeat everbody. But they went to the United States, and they all lost in the no holds barred, because the jiu-jitsu they do, is the SPORT of jiu-jitsu, not the one for the street fighting.....

.....that's why my sons are the only ones who know the jiu-jitsu that works in a street fight. This jiu-jitsu combines the sport technique with the fighting technique.

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 2:44pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that Helio is a little too upset with sportfighting, but he seems to forget that it was UFC that brought BJJ into the light.

I think what Helio so strongly disagrees with is the rules, the gloves, standups, and time limits.

For example, in his last fight with Tokoro, Royce threw on a body triangle to keep him tight and repeatedly threw palm strikes to his ears until the ref seperated them- I have a feeling that Royce would have held him in that guard overnight until Tokoro exposed himself for an attack. Now, just because a sport fighter works for his win (i.e. he makes it happen- Royce and the Gracies wait for it to happen) doesnt mean his skills should be diminished at all.

Perhaps Fedor wont be able to drop the bombs he does without breaking his hands in a real fight.

Maybe there wont be someone to stand you up from the ground when Mirko Cro Cop calls you up off the ground.

Most likely there wont be a fence for Tito Ortiz to push you up against to open you up with his elbows.

But the bottom line is, that in learning any of the above techniques, not only are you becoming more proficient at that aspect of a fight, but you're also going to be more proficient at defending it- how could they possibly be hurtfull to the fighter who trains them?

The rules encourage the fighters to become more well rounded, which the Gracies also do not agree with for some odd reason. To them, BJJ is all that one needs- I dont know what their problem is- maybe its because everyone used to think they were so high and mighty (because for a while they were the only ones that fought with BJJ) and now after MMA has evolved and progressed, they're not quite as popular and mysterious as otherwise thought.

Im a big fan of both Helio and Rickson, but Jesus fucking Christ sometimes their minds are so set that they're just as guilty of being closeminded as the traditional martial artists they so often criticized.

Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 3:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gumby's a BJJ Purple Belt...can't trust him...nope not at all. He's been drinking the kool-aid for so long that he's as bad as the WC guys. Plus once you make a purple in BJJ, you start profit sharing in all the money being made off the rich US citizens. Once he gets enough blue belts underneath him, he'll be able to live off his McDojo money pyramid forever.

GG
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 3:10pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadran
    My intention was not to troll nor attack the BJJ. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Sorry. But the short answer is:

(a) There are multiple threads on BJJ tape/distance-learning promotions already;

(b) Despite the many valid (& many invalid) criticisms directed at them, the Gracies individually & collectively are hardcore motherfuckers who have done more to show up McDojos than anyone else ever, period. Tape-related promotions, family secrets, moneymaking schemes & reluctance to change to accommodate MMA evolution notwithstanding, they're not BS artists, and they don't run McDojos.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 3:52pm

Style: Japanese Jujutsu / aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    Helio: .....that's why my sons are the only ones who know the jiu-jitsu that works in a street fight. This jiu-jitsu combines the sport technique with the fighting technique.

Ha, Ha, Ha... I think this guy is gettng a bit on the "toooooooo old" side of the fence.
Page 1 of 20 1 234511 ... LastLast