Awesome, thanks.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 6:53am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Underhook the far arm instead of the head for a safer kesa. There is a whole series of armlocks and chokes from here. The underhook will allow you to work without your back being taken at will by a decent player. Also, if you have a squirmy opponent who needs the wind sucked out of him, this is a good place to do it (but will require some practice to not lose your base).
    Last edited by Locu5; 4/06/2006 6:57am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 6:05pm

Style: MT, Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think trying to take down someone who has 75 lbs on you is just silly, especially if they have any sort of takedown defense or stand up training (i.e. judo/wrestling). Look at old grappling videos to see what works, basically y ou're going to have to tire the guy out, easiest way to do it is to keep him in your guard and make him wear himself out trying to pass. Once he gets gassed, work a sweep or take his back. This is usually how I work bigger guys. A couple of things to watch, be careful of the stack, big guys, for some reason, just loooove to stack, so be good at transitioning if you get caught in a bad way in a triangle or armbar. Other than that, just work what you're good at and find your game.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2006 6:40pm

Style: American Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've also had a little success with uki-waza against bigger guys, but people rarely push into me hard enough to make it worth it.

Locu5,
    I haven't had much luck when I underhook the far arm while using the kesa... I always got rolled so I stopped doing it that way. The knee under the shoulder is there to prevent having your back taken, but it doesn't always work. If they start getting loose I just sit back through to side mount. I'll give your way a shot again, though.

Again, I'm not some amazing grappler so I'm just posting from my experience.

game dog

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 11:29am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley T
    I think trying to take down someone who has 75 lbs on you is just silly, especially if they have any sort of takedown defense or stand up training (i.e. judo/wrestling).
    Generally speaking, I'd agree... though I have had some success against bigger guys with tani otoshi.

Look at old grappling videos to see what works, basically y ou're going to have to tire the guy out, easiest way to do it is to keep him in your guard and make him wear himself out trying to pass. Once he gets gassed, work a sweep or take his back. This is usually how I work bigger guys. A couple of things to watch, be careful of the stack, big guys, for some reason, just loooove to stack,
    hmmm, whz would that be? Maybe because it really sucks to be stuck folded up underneath a big dude?
    so be good at transitioning if you get caught in a bad way in a triangle or armbar. Other than that, just work what you're good at and find your game.
    It just so happens that the guard is already the best part of my game, so I'll see what happens.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    4/16/2006 4:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley T
    I think trying to take down someone who has 75 lbs on you is just silly, especially if they have any sort of takedown defense or stand up training (i.e. judo/wrestling). Look at old grappling videos to see what works, basically y ou're going to have to tire the guy out, easiest way to do it is to keep him in your guard and make him wear himself out trying to pass. Once he gets gassed, work a sweep or take his back. This is usually how I work bigger guys. A couple of things to watch, be careful of the stack, big guys, for some reason, just loooove to stack, so be good at transitioning if you get caught in a bad way in a triangle or armbar. Other than that, just work what you're good at and find your game.

It's difficult, not impossible, and it definately is not silly.
    More human than human is our motto.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 10:11am

Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    learn to take the back from every angle and position. Works like a charm once you get the human backpack technique down

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 8:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kengou
    Whenever I go for a triangle on big guys, either they crush me until I let go, or their shoulders are too broad to even lock it in. I've had much more success with armbars (from top and bottom).
    My guess would be that your angle in relation to the big guy is wrong, if you are having trouble simply locking the triangle. If your left foot is locked in the crook of your right leg, your head should be 45 degrees to the left. Then you are only dealing with one shoulder, if any.

Also, for kesa gatame, a fun thing to do is lean on them just below their ribs- and get a little tighter each time they breathe out. This is more of a pinning move, but they will start to get desperate after they realize that you've taken most of their breathing space..

game dog

Posted On:
    5/06/2006 2:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Update: I went with the strategy that my formar mentor from Boston BJJ suggested... pull guard. It worked nicely, I won six fights and lost two. Didn't go for any triangles, though... normally it's my favorite technique, but I didn't want to risk losing guard and getting stuck.
    For those who care (and are supporting members :-) ), there's a writeup in my training log.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12