Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 10:20am

Style: Short fat wimp style MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by akja
    They didn't advertise MMA. They advertised 1) mixed martial art training and 2) mixed martial arts. Today MMA is a name that is in need of being defined. NHB can't be used because it is full of rules and that is how MMA came about.
    It's ironic how you choose to use a literal meaning of the term MMA and not one of NHB. Which "holds" are "barred" in modern MMA competition?
    Last edited by Hurt; 4/04/2006 10:25am at .

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 10:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Evil Groin Squeezer of Death and Destruction.
    3rd Hook.
    Insert Fingers In Eye Sockets Like Bowling Ball Grapple.

As you can see, several holds.

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 10:38am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    Exactly. It's a sport. The problem is that these guys are advertising MMA training, but they don't participate in the sport. You can get a wooden leg, wear an eyepatch, and walk around with a parrott on your shoulder, but if you've never been in a boat, you ain't a pirate. They know what comes to potential students' minds when they say "we offer MMA training", but that's not what they're offering.
    The worst are the ones who act like a pirate, teach others to be pirates but won't let them go pillage because they are afraid of being exposed as pathetic pirates and say "it's okay because we know we are pirates...we don't have to prove anything to anyone else!!".

We have a guy who teaches MMA around these parts...fake, fake, fake. Never trained MMA (except with handpicked victims for his experiments gleaned from videos), never competed MMA - hell, won't even show up at local two bit competitions cause he's so afraid of being exposed! He is the ultimate in MMA wannabees...tons of karate training but too proud to go back and be a student under someone who could really teach him MMA.

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 11:16am

Style: Okinawan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    MIX Martial Art

Dagon has the correct.
    Semantics.

I am a Native American i.e. I was born in the United States of America.

If I tell you I am Native American you assume I mean I am descended from aboriginal inhabitants of the Americas.

I am not my ancestors came from Europe.

When people say MMA they have something specific in mind, not a random mix.

But that being said, I love “pedantics”! LOL
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 11:51am

Style: Kempo Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=devil]
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateJon
    If I'm in my boxing gym training, but I've yet to have an official match - am I not training to be a boxer? Am I not getting boxing training?

Yes, you're training to be a boxer. But do you think you're qualified to run a boxing program if you've never had a match?
    Why not. Some boxing traininers were not boxers to start with. Their "craft" is teaching.

Keeeeee-Yeah!

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 11:56am

Style: Whoo-Hoo-Fu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Askari
    There are a wide range of JuJitsu styles that train a complete ground game. Judo and BJJ are just the most famous ones that do this. Katori-Shinto Ryu and Yoseikan Budo spring to mind as being very well established Japanese schools that have some phenomenal ground work.
    A direct quote taken from a BJJ seminar, from a professor who shares the same rank as Rickson:

"Shut up, he's a black belt in Japanese Jiu Jitsu. Not only does he out rank you but he's correct in what he's saying."

This happened when a BJJ purple belt questioned a JJJ BB about a technique.

TKD

'Its all fun and games till you're in the ring...':ninja2:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 12:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurt
    It's ironic how you choose to use a literal meaning of the term MMA and not one of NHB. Which "holds" are "barred" in modern MMA competition?
    The point was brought of "said site" pssibly cashing in on the acronym MMA. I just pointed out that they did not use the acronym.

NHB means no holds barred. When the UFC came about I think there was matybe 1 rule and little by little it was no longer NHB. Thats a fact.

Mixing martial arts has been going on long before there was MMA the sport. If a school who was unknown to the public but was mixing arts pre-UFC and they advertised mixed martial arts. Should they change what they calkl their art because the new sport of MMA has arrived?

How about the "pure" BJJ fighter or "pure" kickboxer that who doe not and has no intention of cross training. They compete in MMA. So they're a "mixed martial artist?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 12:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not saying these guys are legit, they "may" have just started this year but they may have been mixing arts longer than the UFC has been around. There are schools like that out there but that isn't my impression of them, just saying it's possible.

It's really all words and "how" they are used. Many times people ask me about what I teach expecting a Kempo system that they have already seen and I "sometimes" call it a mixed martial art so they understand that it is "blended."

Blending martial arts was the natural reaction after the UFC's expoxed our weaknesses.

The problem is
    1) a lot of schools crosstrain and don't give the other arts their due credit and
    2) if we say we teach a mixed martial art it "ruffles the feathers" of a young-gunner that has a few years in thinks they have it when really they're most likely just getting stated.

I was a Kumiuchi practioner pre-UFC. When I watched the UFC I knew evrthing to do with martial arts was about to change. I don't advertise mixed martial arts but I'be been crosstraining and teaching it longer than many on the nets "total" time in the arts.

I don't ned the "label" of MMA, just like I don't use the JKD "label" either.
    Last edited by akja; 4/04/2006 12:28pm at .

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 12:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But Kempo Jiu Jitsu is an OK label? Interesting value system.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 12:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=akja]
    Quote Originally Posted by devil

Why not. Some boxing traininers were not boxers to start with. Their "craft" is teaching.
    Okay, I won't argue that point with you. But I think you're missing the point of the thread. Do you think it's okay to put karate, judo, jjj, and kendo together in one program and call it MMA training, although you and your students have never competed in MMA, and you're not properly preparing them for MMA competition (ex: not allowing low kicks)?

To me, it's not even a matter of whether the training that takes place is good training or not. What I think is shady is offering this sort of program and calling it MMA when they know what the term MMA brings to the mind of potential students. I think that makes the program seem like a joke to those who understand MMA, and I think it makes it misleading to those who don't understand MMA.
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast