Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 2:43am

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108

You do WC and Aikido and get in the ring, you're doing MMA.
    If you train nothing and get in the ring, you're doing MMA. It's a sport, not a style.

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 5:17am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 5:50am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i have to agree that when i hear jujitsu i think of jjj. the standing locking and striking of the japanese. I only think of grappling when i hear the individual style names like sambo, judo, bjj.
    There are a wide range of JuJitsu styles that train a complete ground game. Judo and BJJ are just the most famous ones that do this. Katori-Shinto Ryu and Yoseikan Budo spring to mind as being very well established Japanese schools that have some phenomenal ground work.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 7:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meager
    If you train nothing and get in the ring, you're doing MMA. It's a sport, not a style.
    Exactly. It's a sport. The problem is that these guys are advertising MMA training, but they don't participate in the sport. You can get a wooden leg, wear an eyepatch, and walk around with a parrott on your shoulder, but if you've never been in a boat, you ain't a pirate. They know what comes to potential students' minds when they say "we offer MMA training", but that's not what they're offering.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 8:07am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    Exactly. It's a sport. The problem is that these guys are advertising MMA training, but they don't participate in the sport. You can get a wooden leg, wear an eyepatch, and walk around with a parrott on your shoulder, but if you've never been in a boat, you ain't a pirate. They know what comes to potential students' minds when they say "we offer MMA training", but that's not what they're offering.
    If I'm in my boxing gym training, but I've yet to have an official match - am I not training to be a boxer? Am I not getting boxing training?

MMA = fighting at all ranges. You could train WC and akido and it would fit the MMA definition.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 8:08am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meager
    yep. it's a set of rules which allows striking and grappling - the UFC is a pretty decent benchmark for what MMA looks like.

"MMA" was originally used more often to describe a fighters style (which basically meant "this chap can strike AND grapple"). nowadays, MMA is often used to refer to the sport (a set of rules), which allows striking and grappling. you can do anything you like within those rules - which makes the sport of MMA is so remarkable because it allows for just about everything in 1 on 1 unarmed combat to be tested.

these are also good ways to describe the sport:

NHB

Vale Tudo (which basically means NHB)

Pankration - i'm pretty sure this means "all powers".

so, it is misleading to claim that you're teaching MMA when what you do is TKD and aikido, because these days MMA refers to sports which look very similar to the UFC.

edit - and you don't have to actually compete in MMA to say you're doing MMA, as long as your training is appropriate for that sport if you ever did wish to compete.
    Last edited by danno; 4/04/2006 8:10am at .

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 8:18am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=PirateJon]If I'm in my boxing gym training, but I've yet to have an official match - am I not training to be a boxer? Am I not getting boxing training?

Yes, you're training to be a boxer. But do you think you're qualified to run a boxing program if you've never had a match?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 8:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that's a good point too. actually competing in MMA should make you a little more qualified. at the same time, just because you competed doesn't mean you know enough to teach it.

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 8:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno
    that's a good point too. actually competing in MMA should make you a little more qualified. at the same time, just because you competed doesn't mean you know enough to teach it.
    Agreed.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 10:01am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    Right, in order to actually be a pirate, you have to plunder the booty, me matey.

Arr!
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast