Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 7:09pm

Style: Kempo Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They didn't advertise MMA. They advertised 1) mixed martial art training and 2) mixed martial arts. Today MMA is a name that is in need of being defined. NHB can't be used because it is full of rules and that is how MMA came about.

In America, before MMA was Free Form Combat in the 1970's in Elpaso, Texas. The style it evolved into was called Kumiuchi which my brother-in-law was a professional full contact fighter in and received his black belt in 1976 fom Mr Tarow Hayashi.

Here is a quote from 1976 from Mr. Hayashi.

"Martial arts Combat, is the Hybrid off-spring of all the traditional Martial Arts (Fighting Arts). It is the Latest Sport Combat which requires the maximum in skill, stamina, toughness and courage. What the "Indianapolis race Car" is compared to the ordinary "Ford" on the street, might be a sort of analogy.

The difference between Professional Full-Contact Karate and Martial Arts combat is primarily the fact that usually the Karate trained people are not always versed in Judo or grappling arts. Generally in Professional Full contact Karate matches, emphasis is placed on Hand and Foot Techniques in mostly stand up Fighting, with take-downs limited to sweeps. But in "Martial Arts Combat" one can use takedowns, pins, chokes, arm-lock submissions, leg-locks, with the joint, not against it. This is in addition to all standard karate punching, striking, elbow and knee locks.

The Martial Arts is a physical discipline which leads to mental and spiritual discipline. The objective of training is in the perfection of character. To become a professional Full-Contact Karate man or Martial Arts Combatant would be suitable or appealing only to a small percentage of Martial Arts devotees. But there is a place for the professional Sport Combatant, as that can be the example of a superbly conditional Professional.

There is a place for that Professional in the ideals which can be positive instead of negative for elevation of the arts. If one becomes dirty or blood thirsty and disregards the levels of human welfare just to gain fame and money, then it would certainly be negative. If one competes with sportsmanship and honor with Martial-human-welfare and benefit in his heart, then it can be indeed a positive endeavor.

There is no make believe, or fooling oneself in Full Contact Martial Arts Combat. The man who dedicates himself to train and compete will surely become a man among men. The tempering of steel is in the forging. A man who competes, win or lose, most assuredly will grow to be a tougher metal.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 7:24pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by akja
    They didn't advertise MMA. They advertised 1) mixed martial art training and 2) mixed martial arts.
    I appreciate the information, but I think 'Mixed Martial Arts' now has the same semantic baggage as 'MMA', i.e. associations with Pride, UFC, and so on. Consequently, the flyer might well be creating a host of false expectations.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 7:36pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The poster at least states that the training is a mix of kendo, jujutsu, and karate. By calling it mixed martial arts he knows what he is doing, capitalizing on the trend. The big problem i see is that to us if we were looking for a place to train we instantly say "oh, its kendo, karate and jjj, not the MMA we assumed". Then we look elsewhere for instruction to a real MMA school.

However, most average joes will associate MMA with the UFC popular fighting and may very well end up believing that kendo, karate, and jjj is the MMA they want. They can't discern UFC type MMA from shitty but technically MMA crap. Why would karate master mislead them anyway?? Mr Miyagi was a nice karate man, aren't they all???

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 7:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I were to see a school advertising "Mixed Martial Arts" training, I'd expect training specific to the sport of MMA. It may not be intentional, but it is definitely misleading if that is not the goal of the training they provide.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 7:55pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    With regards to 'Mixed Boxe'
    Does that happen? Aren't there like a dozen or so people who do this sport?
    Yep. Personally having been pounded on by some very high end real MMA fighters - the difference is astounding.

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 10:50pm

Style: mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by akja
    They didn't advertise MMA. They advertised 1) mixed martial art training and 2) mixed martial arts. Today MMA is a name that is in need of being defined. NHB can't be used because it is full of rules and that is how MMA came about.

i called the facility in question and asked about the "MMA" training, he told me that they practice JJJ and karate. I specifically said "i wanted to get some information on the MMA training that you guys offer there"

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 12:27am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least he is not trying to teach karate and jjj techniques under the guise of other names (thai boxing or BJJ) To him it may be he is doing or practicing MMA, could be he is either thinking that this is the best mix of MA(and needs a butt whoopin). or he may just be trying to latch on to the MMA trend and get some Spike TV viewers.

Either way he should know better and perhaps be told of a more proper way to describe the art(s).

Maybe by saying that him calling his "mix" MMA is akin to us calling his jjj system "karate".

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 12:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just glad he doesn't go karate= kickboxing, jjj= jujitsu. If he's calling what he teaches "MMA", that's pretty much what he's doing, really.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 12:54am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    I'm just glad he doesn't go karate= kickboxing, jjj= jujitsu. If he's calling what he teaches "MMA", that's pretty much what he's doing, really.
    Yes, I did karate, and if I called myself a kickboxer I'd deserve to get reamed. Though surely there's a bit of leeway with 'Jujitsu' = 'JJJ' - after all, it was Japanese before things like 'Gracie' or 'Brazilian' were added to distinguish later variants. While 'MMA' has clearly become associated with UFC-type fighting and so on, 'Jujutsu' remains a bona fide term for what the Japanese did before Brazil shook things up. Of course, this doesn't change the fact that this bloke's pamphlet is misleading.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 1:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DAYoung
    Yes, I did karate, and if I called myself a kickboxer I'd deserve to get reamed. Though surely there's a bit of leeway with 'Jujitsu' = 'JJJ' - after all, it was Japanese before things like 'Gracie' or 'Brazilian' were added to distinguish later variants. While 'MMA' has clearly become associated with UFC-type fighting and so on, 'Jujutsu' remains a bona fide term for what the Japanese did before Brazil shook things up. Of course, this doesn't change the fact that this bloke's pamphlet is misleading.

I'm not talking about lineage or whatever, I'm just talking about purposefully using misleading terminology. Kickboxing is sort of a vague term that can be loosely applied to karate or any other style that involves kicking and punching, and jujitsu is almost a catchall term for "grappling" and could easily be interpreted as brazilian jujitsu. If I saw a school that claimed to teach jujitsu and kickboxing, I'd assume it was an MMA school.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast