Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 4:13am

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arahoushi
    Penrose is OK as a mathematician, and pretty godawful as a physicist, but absolutely irresponsible as a philosopher. Quantum consciousness? Please. I've heard better from the New Age hippy that sells acid on the corner.

I've noticed a lot of "big names" in physics and math tend to be a little whacky like that, or maybe I just read the wrong essays. Kind of like when people quote Einstein and make him into some pseudoreligious anti-science freak, which he most definitely was not.
    Amen. This is why the world needs Sokal (who is a crap philosopher and critical thinker, but a great satirist and 'bullshit' caller).

And sorry to interrupt the discussion about...whatever that was in the video...
    Last edited by DAYoung; 4/12/2006 4:17am at .
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 10:07am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackal
    My master (ex.... i wonder why) also does it, as far as i can tell it's pretty universal amoung kung fu masters. It's called the i'm-the-master-and-i'm-gonna-kick-the-****-out-of-you-now excercise. I have the pleasure of experiencing pretty much every time we do a demo. It teaches you how to get the crap beaten out of you. I've found the best response is to go rag doll because the more you try to defend yourself he just hits you more and harder. Assuming the fetal position is recommended by the time you get put on the ground as you will notice in the vid. As crap as it is, it has been beneficial, i can take hits now.

Yeah sure, whatever floats your boat.

There are far more productive ways to learn how to take hits - even within the context of the uber-style known as "self taught hung gar".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 1:31pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't get it. Is this full contact sparring, or is it some sort of cooperative Kata?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 3:21pm

supporting member
     Style: None currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having a cooperative partner definitely helps in this video.

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 3:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LolodesBois
    Also I have notice that in all the WC videos the guy doing the technique always accelerate the tempo once he is attacked, often fast enough to go into another time zone so the oponent appears to just stand there and get hit a lot...

What happens when the oponent already attacks at maximum speed ?
    Its called the 'Bruce Lee Effect.'
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 4:04pm

Style: Shotokan & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackal
    Ok well for one, these guys are already going at top speed, the teacher is a lot better than the guys he's beating up. Second, once you get hit it interrupts your response time (bad wording i know), by this stage he has hit you X more times, i.e. you have lost.

Actually i can shed some light on this one....

My master (ex.... i wonder why) also does it, as far as i can tell it's pretty universal amoung kung fu masters. It's called the i'm-the-master-and-i'm-gonna-kick-the-****-out-of-you-now excercise. I have the pleasure of experiencing pretty much every time we do a demo. It teaches you how to get the crap beaten out of you. I've found the best response is to go rag doll because the more you try to defend yourself he just hits you more and harder. Assuming the fetal position is recommended by the time you get put on the ground as you will notice in the vid. As crap as it is, it has been beneficial, i can take hits now.

A general comment on the first one, he seemed to pretty much deck the guy every time. I dunno how you guy feel about it
    Doesn't look like full speed to me. What a bunch of bullshit. If it's full contact sparring, fine, but just stand there after you've thrown a half speed technique so Sifu Asshole can hit you about 10 times so he doesn't feel like a *****? **** that. Not to mention one of those guys he's smacking around looks like he's about 14 or 15.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    4/12/2006 11:04pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pr0phecy
    completely choreographed to try and get students. stupid stupid ad...
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123