Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 10:35pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Black Belt's 'MA Myths' and more fun

So the newest issue of Black Belt arrived today. Among the articles, there are the "Top 10 Myths and Misconceptions about the Martial Arts". Surprisingly, it wasn't terribly bad. Of course other sections more than made up for that, but I'm getting ahead of myself here.

here are Black Belt's OFFICIAL top 10 myths:
    1: A Black Belt must register himself as a deadly weapon

2 (I have no clue where they got this one): Bruce Lee was assassinated by shaolin killer monks

3: A Black Belt is a master

4: All martial arts are ancient (actually does a good job here by mentioning that TKD is only about 50 or 60 years old; however, also says that kung fu is 3,000 years old, and Jujutsu is 1,000 years old)

5: Traditional systems don't work (I was impressed, basically said it's the person, not the style, anyone can make an art work if they work hard to make it work)

6:There is a world champion (explained that there were champions of thousands of martial arts, in dozens of weight classes and gender classes, and that therefore there were around 6,000 world champions in the martial arts)

7: There are death matches (mentioned Count Dante and Bloodsport, pretty good)

8: Masters are always calm and serene (reminded me of JFS)

9: Women can't do martial arts well

10: A black belt can take on a whole crowd (said that a black belt didn't guarentee beating multiple opponents, even though it can be done by someone trained in the martial arts)

Among some other sections of this particular issue, there were also:

An amusing letter sent in that basically called for a martial arts videogame where all the martial arts legends could be played against eachother. But here's the killer: "Imagine Bruce Lee taking on Jet Li, or Jackie Chan going against any one of the Gracies... just real, one-on-one, style versus style action...only the basic weapons would be available: tonfa, bo, nunchaku and kama...."

The news item "Steven Seagal to Release Blues Album"

A bullshido-ridden article about how Kung Fu schools are dispensing with traditional ways that are important, which include: Stances, Weaponry, Salutes/Bows, Terminology and Titles. The author argued that these things were important, and that getting rid of them is bad. I can see stances, but his arguments for everything else is just dumb. Bows are linked to asian culture, shouldn't be replaced by handshakes even though we live in the west... weapons teach lots of useful things like... nothing (he didn't have any real arguments for this one)... Terminology/titles have distinct levels of meaning in the original languages and show respect, and shouldn't be discarded... etc.

To be fair, though, there were two good articles, one about MMA takedown setups, and one about the JKD straight lead, that were pretty nice. Plus a Fightsport section with some Gokor armlocks that were pretty good. But all in all, it reminded me of Bullshido moreso than it usually does, which says a lot.

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 10:42pm

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What, no article mentioning Dillman? I thougt that was a requirement. Or at least showing him in a suit at the latest Black Belt Annual Ass Kissing Each Other Monthly Featured Super Happy Demonstration Inductee Hall of Fame Event.
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 10:53pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get Inside Kung Fu myself, just waiting for that subscription to expire.

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 10:58pm

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've gravitated towards Grappling magazine myself.
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard

The r34l Drunken Jiu Jitsu

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 11:00pm

supporting member
     Style: _razilian _iu _itsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was curious about grappling magazine.

Is it just a ground version of IKF? Is it actually any good?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 11:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Tae-Ninjitsu Mu Sool

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grappling Mags are pretty kool, got some nice techniques an insights into MMA/BJJ/Judoka fighters........i just get tired of lookin at sweaty men rollin around together an chokin each other out after a while, Black belt has gone to ****.....cant find Kung Fu at any store.......IKF is De-generating........**sighs**

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 11:20pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno, I prefer to wipe my ass with toilet paper. The slick magazine paper just doesn't do it for me.

PL

**** you math class

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 11:30pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop-Loops
    I dunno, I prefer to wipe my ass with toilet paper. The slick magazine paper just doesn't do it for me.

PL
    Is the expensive toilet paper really worth the extra money?

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    11/08/2005 11:45pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is if you reuse it.

PL

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/09/2005 12:16am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The video game idea isn't bad. You have to remember, some people just don't realize many of the action stars they love aren't real fighters.

I knew I though JC was a badass (he is in his own right) until he admitted he has no real training. Now there are a few that are legit MAs just most wouldn't be recognizable.
Page 1 of 14 1 234511 ... LastLast