Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 12:04pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Southern California Training *Best place to get an answer for this - GG

Whats up. I'm new to California (and these forums). I'm living in Long Beach and I'm getting pretty out of shape just working on computers all day, it's time to start training again.

Mainly I'm looking for great instruction, good exercise and a chance to do some light/medium contact sparring. Other than that, I have no experience whatsoever with grappling, so something along the lines of Judo/Ju-Jitsu/Sambo would be very appealing to me to round out my abilities and give me a fighting chance on the ground. I have a great deal of respect for Brazilian Ju-Jitsu due to it's intensive groundwork and basically constant sparring during class, but I am also looking to learn some very basic and effective throws from the standing position as well so something like Judo may be a good option. On the other hand, if you know of an amazing teacher local to me, I don't really care what the style is, I will take intense one on one instruction over an overcrowded/overpriced classroom any day.

If you have a class nearby (with-in 40 minutes drive) I'd definately like to come check it out. Or if you have a group that just gets together to train and spar I'd be down for that as well. I've looked through the "Throwdown" forum and nothing active seems to be going on in the SoCal area? Anyways, thanks for the heads up in advance -Derek

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 2:01pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.fightresource.com/?cid=5&...&go=1&state=CA

try this website. it should help you

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 2:05pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://bjj.org/a/people/perdomo-marcelo.html

Brazilian Top Team Affiliate

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 2:46pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are more Brazilian badasses within forty minutes of Long Beach than there are in the slums of Rio. It's almost impossible to drive through the South Bay and parts of OC without spattering them all over your windshield.
    Joe Moreira, Cleber Luciano, Fabiano Iha, and a couple thousand Gracies, just for starters. http://bjj.org/academies/#CA

If you want more specifics, I'd suggets asking here:

http://www.jiujitsugear.com/forum/index.php?board=2.0

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 2:50am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys, those look like some good resources. I'd also really like to hear of some first hand experience with local schools, as there are so many, and there can be only one. Sorry for the bad Highlander pun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 3:54am

Style: Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is a very good school IN long beach: Marcel Perdomo BJJ, affiliated with BTT.

I would avoid Joe Moreira, sorry but a lot of his students suck. They have few who compete. I've never been impressed with his people.
    Last edited by Spezza; 4/23/2006 3:56am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/24/2006 10:23pm

Style: Korean Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettatore
    Thanks guys, those look like some good resources. I'd also really like to hear of some first hand experience with local schools, as there are so many, and there can be only one. Sorry for the bad Highlander pun.
    I live in Long Beach and train down at Cleber Luciano's in HB. From downtown it takes me about 20-30 mins to get to class depending on traffic. I have been out for a while rehabbing an injury but can help answer some questions if you want. Feel free to shoot me a pm. For adults there are classes in the morning and evening. You will get plenty of opportunities to roll with higher belts at pretty much every class and Cleber is on the mat rolling with us as well. Classes are 90 minutes with conditioning, technique work, and live rolling. Strong competition team as well. There is also an optional but recommended judo class a couple nights out of the week.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/27/2006 9:29am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cleber is one of the few BJJ BB who emphasize throws.

I have a few things to say about his conduct at tournaments but I will endorse him as an active, competitive black belt who does know his throws.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/27/2006 6:26pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try Orange County Judo in Cypress, Ca, not far from Long Beach. They just started a 2 times a month specialized newaza class with Dan Camarillo(brother of Dave). This place has a great reputation and is only 35 bucks a month.

http://www.ockjudo.com/