Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 5:13am

Style: Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually on the Japanese battlefield there are more deaths dueto blunt trama to the head then from blades.
    Do you have a source for this? I was even told a specific % supporting this statement based on modern forensics evidence, but I've never known of a reference.

On throwing the bo, I remember hearing somewhere about this tactic of hurling a big ass bo the size of a small tree trunk into the legs of incoming horse. Not that it would take down a horse, rather the animals would bounce it around through nearby footmen like a pinball machine from hell. I've always been curious if such a thing would ever have occured.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 6:07am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunky
    Do you have a source for this? I was even told a specific % supporting this statement based on modern forensics evidence, but I've never known of a reference.
    That sounds very familiar...I've heard %ages up to 80% for one specific battlefield but never got a reference, either.

On throwing the bo, I remember hearing somewhere about this tactic of hurling a big ass bo the size of a small tree trunk into the legs of incoming horse. Not that it would take down a horse, rather the animals would bounce it around through nearby footmen like a pinball machine from hell. I've always been curious if such a thing would ever have occured.
    I'm replaying the scenario in my head....Would make an awesome movie scene but I doubt very much that's what really happened. I mean, you'd have to have an intermingled frontal cavalry/infantry charge, where somehow the infantry was keeping up with the cavalry and that's assuming the pinball effect is actually reached.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 6:12am

Style: Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sounds very familiar...I've heard %ages up to 80% for one specific battlefield but never got a reference, either.
    That's about the number I heard too.

Would make an awesome movie scene but I doubt very much that's what really happened. I mean, you'd have to have an intermingled frontal cavalry/infantry charge, where somehow the infantry was keeping up with the cavalry and that's assuming the pinball effect is actually reached.
    ...and.. seconded again :smile:

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 8:03am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunky

I know it was from the Excuvation of a Battlefield in Japan. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the battlefield they dug up.

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 1:56pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    whats the size difference between a jo and a hanbo?

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 2:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    If the opponent got a sword, throwing your 3 foot staff pass the sword and knocking your opponent out is a good option. Actually on the Japanese battlefield there are more deaths dueto blunt trama to the head then from blades.

However, think of it this way. You have a spear. The Tip broke off, you have a 6' staff. The Staff was cut in the middle. you have 2 3' bos. Throw one, use the other. Or throw both use your sword.

You have a Cane sword. you draw the sword throw the casing.

Throwing the weapon implies you have another weapon or you have a broken weapon.

PS. Can this thread be moved to the armory?
    Bad Idea with the cane sword.
    Note the caps.
    When fighting with a cane sword, which most often only has enough space for a one handed grip, it is best to hold the casing/sheath in the off hand for parrying. After damaging the ligaments in my right knee, I took an interest in collecting canes, and my natural interest led me to sword canes. I must say that most of the sword canes on the internet are crap, but recently I have discovered a few that might be nice.
    Anybody here have any good sword cane links?

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 2:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remember, throwing something at the other guy only gives him something to fight with if you fail to strike and/or kill him on the first hit.
    Somebody throws a bo at me?
    I am suddenly one bo ahead of the other guy.
    Unless he had two.
    Which makes no sense.
    That, and the fact that he would have even one bo in the first place.
    Maybe someone should make bo-chucks.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 2:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote
    Bad Idea with the cane sword.
    Note the caps.
    When fighting with a cane sword, which most often only has enough space for a one handed grip, it is best to hold the casing/sheath in the off hand for parrying. After damaging the ligaments in my right knee, I took an interest in collecting canes, and my natural interest led me to sword canes. I must say that most of the sword canes on the internet are crap, but recently I have discovered a few that might be nice.
    Anybody here have any good sword cane links?

Sorry no. I am speaking from a Kukishiden viewpoint. Which is more throw the blunt end hitting them/distracting them/etc. and then following through with the sword. Ends it quickly.

if you want a good sword cane, look at www.manitsswords.com

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 2:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    whats the size difference between a jo and a hanbo?
    Jo roughly 4'-5', hanbo around 3'

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 2:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote
    Remember, throwing something at the other guy only gives him something to fight with if you fail to strike and/or kill him on the first hit.
    Somebody throws a bo at me?
    I am suddenly one bo ahead of the other guy.
    Unless he had two.
    Which makes no sense.
    That, and the fact that he would have even one bo in the first place.
    Maybe someone should make bo-chucks.
    Thats what Training is for. So you don't miss. However, we are talking swords canes, so you turn to get your second bo and I kill you with the sword. Sound good?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast