Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 9:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wudang Tai Chi Chuan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Learning from a DVD?

I didn't know where to post this, so im sorry in advance. Let my explain my situation, I live in Clarks Summit Pennsylvania, the worst place on earth for martial art instruction! I've taken about a month of Pai Lum Kung Fu ( the only system taught in this area) and I utterly loathed going to class. It was a true Bullshido school, and I was gaining nothing from it. Anyway after I quit, I was looking for Tai Chi Chuan instruction, but again in this area, it wasn't going to happen. So a friend of mine suggested I try Tai Chi Chuan DVD's, I jumped at the ideal and looked into a style I wanted to learn. After reading an article in a Kung Fu magazine, on the WuDang system of internal Kung Fu, I was very interested! So I ordered up a DVD, and im currently waiting for it's arrival. Now it's time for my real question; is Kung Fu instruction genuine on a DVD? Naturally the answer would be no, nothing would beat the real thing, but China is VERY far away! I quess what im asking is if I should expect anything great from the DVD? Granted im not looking to become a GRANDMASTER, im just looking to practise true Tai Chi, and gain some insight. So if anyone could answer my question, I would be eternally grateful! Thanks!!

P.S. This is a great site, really funny! Keep up the good work, busting McDojos!!

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 9:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are asking if you should expect something great from a Taijiquan DVD?

The answer is NO.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 9:50pm

Style: Boxing, Wushu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    getting something from china doesnt make it genuine, even if it is kung fu. in fact, those chinese are probably more likely to rip you off. lots of people in china are just looking to make a quick buck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 10:01pm

Style: I know Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Absolutely not. Worst art of all is to learn Tai chi from a video. At least with something like BJJ, you can practise with a friend and you'll actually know if you did the move correctly because your friend can't get out or is tapping(i'm not saying you'll be good at BJJ, just saying you can learn a thing or 2 from a vid. You still need training from an exprienced instructor if you wanna become good).

Basically learning any Striking art from a Vid is pretty diffcult. Ok cool, so you can punch, but can you punch with power? You'd need pads or a heavybag to practise that one. All the air punching in the world won't help you. So you can kick air. Can you be sure that when you kick a person, you'll still have the proper balance?
    Now with something as abstract as TC, thats where the problems really begin. If its just a DVD showing how to perform the forms and you have no prior training in any martial arts, how will you know which move in the form does what? You'll be misinterpreting forms left and right. Is that move an odd punch or a block? Is that a push or a drag?

You want to learn good Tai Chi? Look for teacher who does Combat Tai Chi or whatever they call it. I believe there are a few members on this forum who do tai chi for stuff other than health benefits.

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 10:02pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm I see. Thank you for responding so quickly, im humbled. Back to the topic, yes I feared that would be the answer. Oh well, i'll just learn the forms, and practice them for fun. Like I said im not looking to be a Tai Chi master, haha. Okay thanks!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 10:07pm

Style: Boxing, Wushu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you want to learn forms wushu is the way to go. taichi forms are boring

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 10:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even if you practice them for fun you're not going to get much out of it because the errors you make in technique (which you will have) will be engrained and you will then have to work at UNLEARNING them when you finally do get train under someone. Things like DVDs and books best serve as a REFERENCE and not the sole method of training.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 10:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing can compare to a quality instruction at a good school; however, some (not all) DVD's, books, tapes etc... really do have something to offer. I know many excellent martial artist who perfected their "bread and butter" moves this way.

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 10:17pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks again for the information. I think for right now i'll mess around with this DVD. Im still searching for a teacher in the area.

Posted On:
    2/22/2006 10:27pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about moving to a larger city?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast