Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 11:35pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The second rates at my club go up and I see my instructor driving a brand new BMW when the mats need replaced, I'll get annoyed. Until then, meh.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 3:30am

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    If you lift somone and dump them hard on concrete, you won't need to armbar them, or worry about gaining good position trust me.
    Maybe, maybe not. I've been seio naged on a hardwood floor and been perfectly fine.

I love how you always post in vague generalizations, though. I bet you have a textbook lift and dump.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 6:02am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    Why? Well, probably because amateur wrestling and (American) football are popular sports here. I'm not saying I'm never going to get the takedown against guys with 8-10 years of amateur wrestling in them, but I'd be amazed if I did.
    GB makes a great point here in that you need to be aware what is relevant for your situation.
    Here in Belgium, judo is a great choice because:
    a) the weather is sucky enough that people'll nearly always walk around in a jacket and b) even in my little hometown with Pop: 25K there were 4 judo clubs and knowing how not to get thrown by a judoka then becomes important as well.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 6:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meager
    Maybe, maybe not. I've been seio naged on a hardwood floor and been perfectly fine.

I love how you always post in vague generalizations, though. I bet you have a textbook lift and dump.
    Huh ?

Let me get this straight.

Somone did a shoulder throw on you, you landed on a hardwooden floor and your still walking around in one piece ? Bullshit. If anyone does a correct shoulder throw or any other forward throw and you land flat on a wooden floor, then its hospital time.

Getting thrown and landing on thick crashmats still hurts as it is. Your a bit winded, but you can get up again. I honestly can't see anyone landing on a hard wooden surface safely.

My guess is your bullshitting about the whole thing or are confused on what a shoulder throw is.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 6:46am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Getting thrown and landing on thick crashmats still hurts as it is. Your a bit winded, but you can get up again. I honestly can't see anyone landing on a hard wooden surface safely.
    Eh. Depends who's throwing and how hard and how they do it. I've been hit with a few seoi-nages where my feet have landed first and broken most of the impact so my body's not dropping far afterwards; but even if you're landing on your back after more or less falling under gravity from hip height you can survive fine if you breakfall, sometimes even on concrete. Winded maybe, bruised certainly, but not hospitalised. If you know how to breakfall, well, ****, people have fallen off fairly high ladders onto hard surfaces and not ended up in hospital.

On the other hand, I've been buried in crash mats by muscular dans who would almost certainly hospitalise me if they threw me for real. Sufficient acceleration plus somebody else making a crunching landing on your rib-cage is going to **** you up on concrete.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 6:51am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    textbook lift and dump + bad ukemi

(not saying you can regularly shrug off a hard fall on a hard surface, but to say one would cripple you is a bit much)

In otherwords, hannibal, he didn't land flat, he landed right. (a trick I'm notoriously bad at)
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 4/04/2006 6:55am at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 7:49am

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bullshit. If anyone does a correct shoulder throw or any other forward throw and you land flat on a wooden floor, then its hospital time.
    If person who threw him did a textbook shoulder throw, it's not much damaging as it is. Because if you do a text book shoulder throw, ure opponent can or could drop feet first and absorb some impact. Text book execution of techniques don't teach u 'dirty judo'

Best way to injure someone in Judo is improper text-book execution of throws. At my old school, my instructors were cool or crazy enough to teach us how to improperly throw someone with specific intent to cause much injury as possible.

for example, in shoulder throw, instead of throwing the opponent so he'll drop toward's his back. we were also taught to throw the opponent so he'll drop on his head or face first if we wanted to hurt someone.

You still can injure someone with text book throws if you do them hard but best way to injure someone is to execute the technique non-text book. Like Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi, we actually did more of kick rather then sweep...that is not text-book.

How long did you do Judo for and what rank are you?

Edit: Spelling error.
    Last edited by babo78; 4/04/2006 8:05am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 7:52am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Getting thrown and landing on thick crashmats still hurts as it is.
    When you say "crashmats", do you mean tatami? I think of this when someone says crashmats and I don't see anyone doing randori on those, let alone getting thrown hard enough to hurt.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 9:12am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From my personal experience, JUDO is better for SD. I've used this more than JJJ or BJJ in real fights. If you Judo sucks (like Shumas does) then you will need BJJ. If your Judo is good then I don't know many pple want to keep fighting after meeting the ground at a high rate of speed.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    4/04/2006 9:20am

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones
    This is off subject. But BJJ needs to change it's prices. If it doesn't BJJ will be just a bunch of middle class white people from the suburbs. Poor people have always been the best fighters.
    Why should anyone change their prices if people are willing to pay it?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast