Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 3:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson
    It seems that some ppl are forgetting that Judo does have groundwork.
    It doesn't have an adequate guard game. One of BJJ's defining characteristics is being able to fight from the bottom with strikes involved.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 5:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guess it depends who you train with. The Judo guys ive sparred seemed all right in the gaurd. Not the calibre of high level BJJ guys, but good enough for self defense purposes.

And at least they cover the gaurd at all. While many BJJ schools dont even touch throws, sweeps.or other take downs.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 7:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is bullshit.

Judo has a strong ground game end of story. We don't spend 90% of our time on the ground like BJJ clubs, but for self defense purposes its enough to get you by.

Now this thread is about self defense. I'm telling you now for self defense situations, you can't beat a hard throw or a takedown. Getting lifted and dumped hard on concrete is enough to take the fight out of anyone. BJJ is great, but as someone mentioned earlier it's expensive. $150 - $200- per month ? Forget that.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 10:14pm

supporting memberhall of fame
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson
    ....oh dear.....
    *straps on helmet*
    I am still laughing…well done.

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 10:58pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    This is bullshit.

Judo has a strong ground game end of story. We don't spend 90% of our time on the ground like BJJ clubs, but for self defense purposes its enough to get you by.

Now this thread is about self defense. I'm telling you now for self defense situations, you can't beat a hard throw or a takedown. Getting lifted and dumped hard on concrete is enough to take the fight out of anyone. BJJ is great, but as someone mentioned earlier it's expensive. $150 - $200- per month ? Forget that.
    How about $55 a month? Because that's what I pay.

Let's watch those sweeping generalizations there buddy. When revving up for tournaments, we generally spend at least one class a week drilling nothing but takedowns and start from standing 3-4 days a week. Even when we're not gearing up for competition, we can work takedowns under the tutelage of experienced wrestlers and guys that hold rank in Judo at least two days a week as well as start from standing whenever we like at open mat after class and on weekends.

Thaaaaaaaaanks. Have a great daaaaaaaaay.
    Last edited by Cassius; 4/03/2006 11:02pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 11:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    How about $55 a month? Because that's what I pay.

Let's watch those sweeping generalizations there buddy. When revving up for tournaments, we generally spend at least one class a week drilling nothing but takedowns and start from standing 3-4 days a week. Even when we're not gearing up for competition, we can work takedowns under the tutelage of experienced wrestlers and guys that hold rank in Judo at least two days a week as well as start from standing whenever we like at open mat after class and on weekends.

Thaaaaaaaaanks. Have a great daaaaaaaaay.
    In dallas it's at least over a 100 dollars a month.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 11:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones

Fuckin A it is.

In Sydney where I live all the BJJ clubs want at least $100- $105 per month. Thats just for straight BJJ.

Look I said BJJ is a great art and I meant it. I just prefer Judo for two reasons.

1. Its alot cheaper.

2. I think standup grappling is just as important as ground fighting and I like the 50/50 split my Judo club teaches.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 11:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, my club is likely the exception, but my opinion counts just as much as Hannibal's.

So based only on my own experience, I think I can safely say that all BJJ clubs spend a lot of time working takedowns, because that's what my club does, and they're all fairly affordable, because mine is.

Oh wait, it would be stupid for me to say something like that and be serious. Point, meet everyone. Everyone, meet my point.

In case it is not clear enough for all to see:

My point is that it is the individual club/school that matters, so visit as many as possible and find the one that meets your needs. This is my advice for every single question about schools. Kthxbye.
    Last edited by Cassius; 4/03/2006 11:18pm at .

resident sick ****

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 11:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Being a total psychopath

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is off subject. But BJJ needs to change it's prices. If it doesn't BJJ will be just a bunch of middle class white people from the suburbs. Poor people have always been the best fighters.

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 11:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is off subject. But BJJ needs to change it's prices. If it doesn't BJJ will be just a bunch of middle class white people from the suburbs. Poor people have always been the best fighters.
    It's in demand and there aren't enough people to teach it at really competitive rates. Therefore, price goes up.

Besides that, there are high dropout rates, and a lot of clubs just break even on mat space. I don't object to a good instructor making a living off his teaching, either.

Generally, to keep a club open, one of several things has to happen: the instructors have to teach something less "hardcore" and more geared to hobbyists, soccer moms, and kids to pay the bills, the instructor has to do it for little to no pay just to keep the place open, or the isntructors have to charge high prices.

If you REALLY want to train, you'll find a way. If you're lucky, you can find an instructor that will let you clean, teach a kid's TKD class, etc etc to knock money off your fees.

I used to think that training should be as cheap as possible and no instructor should "compromise" himself with McDojo classes to pay the bills for the hardcore guys, but then I woke up and realized I was being a schmuck.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast