Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 8:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    throw their ass down and get the hell out of there!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 9:56am

Style: Thai boxing , JJ ,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At our Jujitsu school we cross test in Judo and compete ,we also roll with the BJJ people. From what I have seen ether one would do the job.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 10:12am

Style: Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing/judo is a GREAT combo.

So is Boxing/ BJJ.

Your base is so much higher in Muay Thai as opposed to the standard western- boxing crouch. I personally like the feeling of keeping my feet on the ground at all times when standing, especially when it can go from striking to grappling in an instant.

I think a lot of people who have Judo or BJJ as their "base" art would be better served spending their limited "striking" time learning straight boxing as opposed to trying to master the numerous skills (punching, elbows, knees, kicks, neck wrestling) of Muay Thai. I think the lessons of head movement and dealing with punches in boxing are critical fror grapplers, while elbows, knees & kicks are secondary.

I think that Muay Thai is better a "primary" art.

I know it isn't as populasr as the BJJ/Muay Thai combo, but I prefer BJJ/Boxing.
    Last edited by Spezza; 4/03/2006 10:18am at .

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 10:44am

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Both are going to be equally good, meaning each one has its own unique weaknesses. Judo is better at takedowns and throws; BJJ is better on the ground.

You COULD be really ballsy and just take both, thereby getting the most complete game possible...
    --
    L.

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 11:21am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate to burst your pitiful tachi-waza circlejerk, but the basic hip throw, a backward leg pickup and a couple of sacrifice throws cover 99% of self-defence throwing scenarios. When drilling self-defence I only go to the ground if the attacker has a guillotine or RNC locked in, in which case being on top on the ground will give you enough leverage to break the hold.

However, if you choose to remain willfully ignorant it at least keeps people like Hannibal out of BJJ schools.

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 12:07pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    I hate to burst your pitiful tachi-waza circlejerk, but the basic hip throw, a backward leg pickup and a couple of sacrifice throws cover 99% of self-defence throwing scenarios. When drilling self-defence I only go to the ground if the attacker has a guillotine or RNC locked in, in which case being on top on the ground will give you enough leverage to break the hold.

However, if you choose to remain willfully ignorant it at least keeps people like Hannibal out of BJJ schools.
    I wanted to say something similar, but I was having too much fun watching Hannibal make an ass of himself.

I don't know if I would agree that 99% of the time a hip throw and sacrifice throws will work, but I also think it's the same argument turned on it's head that Judoka use often. They say that it's better to be able to throw someone and get out, but for me, I'd want a really solid ground game backing up my throwing ability. In fact, I'd say it's more important for my situation.

Why? Well, probably because amateur wrestling and (American) football are popular sports here. I'm not saying I'm never going to get the takedown against guys with 8-10 years of amateur wrestling in them, but I'd be amazed if I did.

Of course, I could just be trolling Hannibal.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 12:13pm

Style: JJ of the B variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    I wanted to say something similar, but I was having too much fun watching Hannibal make an ass of himself.

I don't know if I would agree that 99% of the time a hip throw and sacrifice throws will work, but I also think it's the same argument turned on it's head that Judoka use often. They say that it's better to be able to throw someone and get out, but for me, I'd want a really solid ground game backing up my throwing ability. In fact, I'd say it's more important for my situation.

Why? Well, probably because amateur wrestling and (American) football are popular sports here. I'm not saying I'm never going to get the takedown against guys with 8-10 years of amateur wrestling in them, but I'd be amazed if I did.

Of course, I could just be trolling Hannibal.
    These are good points. I'd rather have the solid ground game that comes with BJJ, coupled with a good knockout punch.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 12:20pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't go to the ground and don't get in grappling range.

I suggest checking out a local Wing Chun school that will give you the skills neccessary to defend yourself.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 12:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ is more fundamental for self defence, because you can't run away if some fucker is sitting on you.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    4/03/2006 12:29pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can eyegouge him if he is though. Or at least bite him.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast