Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2006 11:47am

Style: Arnis, judo, Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    PT,

Sorry bro, I don't reload, so no info on that.

I feel sorry for the prarie dogs if you're gonna use this, but then again, they are rodents. :)
    I use a 22-250 for 200 to 500 yds and my AR for 100-200 I need somthing in close and my 357 works but........

PT

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 3:07pm

Style: TKD, HKD, KM, BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glock 17...

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 3:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    I think shotguns are overrated for home defense. Although they are extremely powerfull, they are also unweildy. Narrow hallways, doorways, and other domestic obstacles may catch a barrell, sling, or stock at an unfortunate moment.
    I want to support this. A friend of mine was knocked unconcious by a home invader when my friend's shotgun barrel caught on a doorjam as he was turning to fire. The burglar broke a half gallon glass bottle over his head and ran away. Obviously it could have been much worse.

By the time the shotgun in question (a low end Mossberg 12 gauge) was given to me it had been sawed off to one half inch over the legal limit.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 3:18pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jms969
    Glock 17...
    I Hope you're kidding. Glock 17 fires a supersonic 9mm round. That rounds can EASILY go right through wall and hit your neighbor (apt) or kids(house).

My friend has a shotgun packed with steel fillings and wax. Wont go through walls and will knockdown superman.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 5:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    I Hope you're kidding. Glock 17 fires a supersonic 9mm round. That rounds can EASILY go right through wall and hit your neighbor (apt) or kids(house).

My friend has a shotgun packed with steel fillings and wax. Wont go through walls and will knockdown superman.
    A very fast 115gr 9x19mm load might be moving upwards of 1,350 fps. That's barely supersonic, and most ammo in the caliber are slower.

Regardless, it's mostly the bullet design which mostly determines penetration in a given caliber.

And we both know that Superman is more likely to go down when he tries to duck after you throw the empty gun at him. :smile:

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja

Posted On:
    4/21/2006 7:53pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: JJJ/Judo[Nidan] BJJ[Blue]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    A very fast 115gr 9x19mm load might be moving upwards of 1,350 fps. That's barely supersonic, and most ammo in the caliber are slower.

Regardless, it's mostly the bullet design which mostly determines penetration in a given caliber.

And we both know that Superman is more likely to go down when he tries to duck after you throw the empty gun at him. :smile:

I was just trying to illustrate that a Glock 17 wouldn't be ideal for home defense.

If you want a pistol go with a .45 cal.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 5:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KageKaze
    I was just trying to illustrate that a Glock 17 wouldn't be ideal for home defense.

If you want a pistol go with a .45 cal.

I don't like the .45 all that much. I prefer a nice lady's gun chambered in .22 beause the bullets are small and they don't come out the other end like a .45.

You see, a .45 will blow a barn door out the back of your head and there's a lot of dry cleaning involved, but a .22 will just rattle around like Pac-Man until you're dead.

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    4/23/2006 6:09pm

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greese
    What do you guys think the best gun for home defense is? I hear shotgun pretty consistantly, are there any other answers?

Remington 870 with a 14" barrell. Buckshot shells work tremendously well in close quarters.
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 1:20pm

Style: untrained idiot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    Remington 870 with a 14" barrell. Buckshot shells work tremendously well in close quarters.
    i'm just a schlub who reads too many gun rags and posts way too much in gun forums, but.

any length barrel is passable for home defense, i have a 26" 870 loaded up with 10 shells of 00buck (9 in the tube and one in the chamber) at home and it would be my gun of choice over any handgun or rifle in a home defense situation.

Handguns and Rifles involve WAY too much over penetration and liability. Hit up http://www.theboxotruth.com/ for damn near anything you can think of. most handgun rounds penetrate 12 layers of sheetrock while 00buck only goes through 8

Clearly 00 buckshot isn't exactly a non-penetrator either because in order to penetrate a bad guy the round HAS to penetrate well (12-13 inches is recommended depth in ballistic gel)

Handguns are harder to aim and make good hits under stress, rifles are eaiser to aim but tend to shoot through the target

even a long shotgun is capable in tight quarters... you just have to train in your home and know how to move. (hold the barrel down towards the floor to eliminate the length, if the attacker grabs your barrel while you're raising it, a discharge into whichever part of his body you happen to be covering when he grabs it should work wonders)

you should be doing this with ANY home defense weapon though.

you should also not be loading a shotgun with any kind of loads that "won't killem, but it'll hurt like hell!" because if you're discharging a firearm at someone you better be prepared to kill them. an unlucky shot with a BB gun can kill a human, so don't rely on "non lethal" loads.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    4/26/2006 2:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A 14" barrel puts you in NFA territory. Don't forget to check your local and state laws, and then pay your tax and submit to ze paperverks.

Violation of NFA 34 is a federal felony.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 910 LastLast