Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 8:11am

Style: nada

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a newbie, so forgive me if I'm repeating something already on the thread, as I only read the last few pages.

Anyway, best for home defense, to me, varies by scenario and person.

Currently, I live in an apartment building. Maneuverability is a priority, as is avoiding overpenetration. I use my .45 HK USP with hollowpoints. Lots of knockdown power, but the .45 is a relatively slow-moving round, so overpenetration is not as big of an issue as it would be with other rounds of similar power. Also, exterior building walls are brick, so I really only need to watch my lines with regard to shooting into other apartments.

If I lived in the country and overpenetration wasn't a consideration, I might still use the same weapon, or I might consider something in a carbine. I haven't thought about it much, as it's been a long time since I lived in the country.

For my wife, a .45 might be too much gun, and she lacks experience with a shotgun, so I'd put a 9mm in her hands, which is something she's more comfortable with.

Ultimately, I think it's a largely academic argument. You could defend your house with a .22 against most intruders. It might not be lethal, but 10 rds of .22 from a Mark IV or the like would probably take the fight out of most smash and grab type thugs.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 10:57am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwid
    I'm a newbie, so forgive me if I'm repeating something already on the thread, as I only read the last few pages.

Anyway, best for home defense, to me, varies by scenario and person.

Currently, I live in an apartment building. Maneuverability is a priority, as is avoiding overpenetration. I use my .45 HK USP with hollowpoints. Lots of knockdown power, but the .45 is a relatively slow-moving round, so overpenetration is not as big of an issue as it would be with other rounds of similar power. Also, exterior building walls are brick, so I really only need to watch my lines with regard to shooting into other apartments.

If I lived in the country and overpenetration wasn't a consideration, I might still use the same weapon, or I might consider something in a carbine. I haven't thought about it much, as it's been a long time since I lived in the country.

For my wife, a .45 might be too much gun, and she lacks experience with a shotgun, so I'd put a 9mm in her hands, which is something she's more comfortable with.

Ultimately, I think it's a largely academic argument. You could defend your house with a .22 against most intruders. It might not be lethal, but 10 rds of .22 from a Mark IV or the like would probably take the fight out of most smash and grab type thugs.
    A .45 test...

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot2.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 11:08am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony

Nice.

If you can put your foot through a couple of layers of sheetrock, why anyone would be surprised that a .45 or even .22 can punch through a wall is kind of odd when if think about it.

dwid,

If you are worried about rounds penetrating walls, you should seriously consider using rounds designed from the start to not penetrate walls but still stop the bad guys. Bullet design - not caliber or velocity - is the single most determining factor in whether a round will or will not have the energy to kill in the neighboring apartments.

There are a few well engineered rounds for this purpose available, albeit expensive.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/11/2006 11:29am

Style: nada

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, and I have some of that stuff. Honestly, though, I'm of the philosophy that I want to put at least a couple of hundred of whatever load I use for defense downrange so that I get a feel for how the round performs in the gun/how it feels. If I do that with the special defensive frangible stuff, it would cost me hundreds of dollars, whereas standard hollowpoints are pretty cheap by comparison. Like I said, I watch my lines anyway, and shooting one of my neighbors via overpenetration is not, I believe, a high probability.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910