Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MA punch vs. boxing punch?

ive been here a while but ive made enough stupid threads to know its safer to post here for something like this:

backstory:
    so i'm at my boring, horrible karate class the other day, and im paired up with some kid i can't stand and i'm next to a different guy who's often full of **** when it comes to MA and once told me his whole philosophy on MA is "like aikido's"... hes never taken an aikido class and claimed that his philosophy is like aikidos because you should "use your opponents energy against him".

we were throwing some combo with a right cross in it on the pads, when i hear the aikido guy say "you're throwing a boxing punch. this is a martial artist punch". when i heard that without seeing what he was talking about my first reaction was YES I GET TO TELL HIM HES FULL OF **** AGAIN. but alas, i didnt know what to say because he kinda made it make sense.

Question:
    he said that a cross should connect with the palm facing inwards, not down, because you want the middle and pointer knuckles to connect, not the other 2. he said boxers dont have to worry about it because they wear gloves, so its a little different.

is there much validity to this? i dont feel like i punch as strong when i try it his way, and this is the first time ive ever heard anything like this. i think hes probably full of ****, based on his track record.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer. Join us... or die

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The head doesn't exactly have a simple topology, so the best angle really depends on what you're aiming for.

A cross should hit the point of the chin, palm down seems best for that. Plus the rotation encourages you to put your shoulder and hip behind it, so you'll train in better habits.

This is just my opinion though, I could be full of **** too.

Style
    BJJ/MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your training partner is actually not completely full of ****. A lot of fights are won by somebody throwing a short strike while the other person is rushing in. This is using their own energy against them.

Go watch a boxer shadowbox, they have their thumbs and pinkey fingers spread out as if they were wearing gloves. You will never catch a martial artist leaving their fingers hanging out like that

The two knuckles that should connect with a punch is correct as well. This is a result of proper wrist alignment, and the twisting motion of a punch. Things that aren't necessarily a concern for boxers wearing wraps and gloves.

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Shi Dist
    Your training partner is actually not completely full of ****. A lot of fights are won by somebody throwing a short strike while the other person is rushing in. This is using their own energy against them.

Go watch a boxer shadowbox, they have their thumbs and pinkey fingers spread out as if they were wearing gloves. You will never catch a martial artist leaving their fingers hanging out like that

The two knuckles that should connect with a punch is correct as well. This is a result of proper wrist alignment, and the twisting motion of a punch. Things that aren't necessarily a concern for boxers wearing wraps and gloves.

i agree about using someones energy against them, but why couldn't he just say that? i thought it was kinda stupid that he would mention aikido when pretty much every MA has some element of using the opponents force against them... he kinda said it like aikidokas invented the idea tis all.

yeah i know theres a lot of boxers who've hurt their hands in fights because they're used to the gloves. but the actual technique in question was something i'd never heard of before.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld supporting member
    Style
    Taai Si Ji Kung Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does this guy actually think western boxing is not MA?

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kagan
    Does this guy actually think western boxing is not MA?

even if he was right about the hand position thing, i could still tell him boxers are maists too... its kind of the attitude at my school (and many others) that only asians invent martial arts. i cant wait to get out of there.

Style
    kb, tapping, jjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a related question.

A kickboxing instructor recommended that I do hooks with the palm inward. He claimed that you get more power this way, since you can see your bicep flex when you turn your palm from downward to inward. It is true, you can see this flexing clearly, but does having your muscle pre-flexed actually relate to your punching power?

Style
    MMA, functional JKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Easy answer: punch him.
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed with Zendetta. Punch him. I dont give a **** because a fist always hurts. In practice though I dont use palm down or palm inwards. Exten your arm and make a fist. Thats it. Sometimes youll hit vertical sometimes horizontal but as long as you hit your good. I find that I mostly hit with my fist at a 45* angle just in case your wondering.

A good way to see how you should hit is to go next to a wall and make a fist. Put your fist against the wall. Notice that when your press against the wall that your arm isnt straight when you use your index and pointer knuckles. The bottom three keep your arm and wrist straight which is important. Just a thought.

Style
    Mixed Martial Arts
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hes full of ****. Boxing is THE BEST MA for punching. Theres a reason why all the top MMA fighters have boxing coaches to train them with all the other stuff they do.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... Last