Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: Intro....

Style
    Judo, Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Intro....

Hey guys I thought Id say hello, the site as its good and its bad points but Id thought Id stop lurking and get my hands dirty in some of the threads.

Im based in Lancashire, in the UK (thats the North West of England!) and Ive been doing Aikido for under a year. Just started on doing Iadio, do regular cardio work and Im looking for possibly a striking art in the near future.

Style
    Recovery(lung surgeries)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should pick up a grappling art in the future . That way you will have some martial training in grappling as well as striking .
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    Judo, Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take it you dont rate aikido....?

Style
    BJJ blue
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yo. Nice to see another Aikidoka on the board. Hopefully we will be able to cure you.

BTW what are your goals in training martial arts?

Style
    Judo, Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AikidoDeadlines
    BTW what are your goals in training martial arts?
    ......Spiritual enlightenment :adios:

No, really if its a viable form of self-defence, and Im enjoying it, Im happy. I thought of keeping Aikido as a primary art, since it gives me a technical understanding of martial arts, and Im not primed for anything too rough at the mo. But like I say Im on the look out for something else, I have a soft spot for Wing Chun, but I understand that doesnt have many takers in this half of the net either. And worried that contrasting styles will mess me up.

Cheers AikidoDeadlines, nice to meet you....

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Style
    Okinawan Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by abclaret
    I take it you dont rate aikido....?
    Most people here don't. They think of aikido as pacifisit, crystal carrying sprout eating vegan hippies who can't fight.

Now, you are in nobbie town so as long as you don't shoot your mouth off people should be nice to you, but you will need to grow a thick skin once you venture out of here because people will make fun of aikido.
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Not over zealous, but just zealous enough. 病気の粗悪品

Style
    Okinawan Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ......Spiritual enlightenment :adios:

No, really if its a viable form of self-defence, and Im enjoying it, Im happy. I thought of keeping Aikido as a primary art, since it gives me a technical understanding of martial arts, and Im not primed for anything too rough at the mo. But like I say Im on the look out for something else, I have a soft spot for Wing Chun, but I understand that doesnt have many takers in this half of the net either. And worried that contrasting styles will mess me up.

Cheers AikidoDeadlines, nice to meet you....
    Aikido mixed with _ng _un....

I have no responce for that.:5eek:
    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Style
    Judo, Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhamma
    Most people here don't. They think of aikido as pacifisit, crystal carrying sprout eating vegan hippies who can't fight.
    While more than happy to defend my corner, I have to say I dont like the look of threads were newcomers are respected sorely because they slagg off Wing Chun and Aikido. Thats lame. I think Aikido as many weaknesses, but its the martial artist not the art that comes first. So while I am a vegan, Im certainly no pacifist.

I know this entails an entirely new thread but since you dont like Aikido/Wing Chun as a mix, what in your opinion (or anyone elses for that matter) makes for a valid and practical Martial Art?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia
    Style
    creonte on hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While more than happy to defend my corner, I have to say I dont like the look of threads were newcomers are respected sorely because they slagg off Wing Chun and Aikido. Thats lame. I think Aikido as many weaknesses, but its the martial artist not the art that comes first. So while I am a vegan, Im certainly no pacifist.

I know this entails an entirely new thread but since you dont like Aikido/Wing Chun as a mix, what in your opinion (or anyone elses for that matter) makes for a valid and practical Martial Art?
    A valid and practical Martial Art is the one (or a combination thereof) that
    • gives you some substantial physical exhaustion after each and every class, and
    • gives you an understanding of what it feels like
      • to be punched/kicked/wacked in the head with a stick or other blunt thingies, or
      • to have your limbs, neck (or just about any bodily apendage) twisted in a abominably painful fashion, OR
      • being flipped and thrown to the ground

AND
    • gives you the tools to more or less **** somebody up while fully resisting you and trying to **** you up as well

Anything else may be fun, but shouldn't constitute a valid and practical martial art IMO.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Bullshido's Greatest Ninja staff
    Style
    Kuso shite shinezo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome Aikido-ka. When do you plan to start a Martial Art?

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last