Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 7:03am

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was well posted over on the big thread, but really told us directly about Fang Shen Do:
    Quote Originally Posted by Old101
    FSD vids! WTFWT!
    No comment.
    Do you actually analyze this stuff? Why? I'd like to hear what actors thought of thier roles. What was thier motivation? Why did De Niro turn down the role of JP?
    Actually Phon Sao is part of Chi Sao. Trapping hands more specifically. In not very important....really.... don't ask any more questions. (Crap... the secret is out!)
    There isn't a lot of "attribute" training in WC. We mostly just stand around and converse. Some systems/styles/brands/method/persuasions lift weights, run hundreds of feet, do pilates, all to develop those abs and others bits of anatomy, just to get the edge. You never know when you will have to run to catch a bus, or fight one of those ultimate guys. Power Rangers don't count. I love when I hear the crap about "keeping the good (useful???) stuff, and throwing away the bad (uselesss???) stuff". It's like saying I like the consonants and I'll keep them, but the A,E,I,O,U and, yes, sometimes Y...they have to go!
    I'm kind of sorry I slighted FSD. That's way more acknowledgement than it deserves. FSD is really just a symptom, a cough or fever or cancer. The desease is the sijo guy and his cronies who push this crap (again with the dogshit) and the suckers amongst us who get caught up in critiques of how there dogshit is so much better than FSD's.

Sleepies
    PS. I think we should reveiw MP's defence against strawberries.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    4/16/2006 12:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wing Chun Video

This video was being slagged a bit on another thread, but it is a Wing Chun Video that is head and shoulders above the Fang Shen Do videos.

I know there is a lot wrong in that video, from the goofy stances to Patty-Cake Chi Sao and eye gouging to escape the mount (The please arm-bar me defence of the anti-grappler). BUT it is still better then the Fang Shen Do videos.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    4/17/2006 7:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Posted this as Post # 924 in the mega-thread, but realized it wont get read there very often. So here it is.

The problem with technical development in a Wing Chun derived art like FSD is not solely a problem in FSD. I've trained at clubs with the same technical problems (Wing Chun derived) without the dog sniffing, so I will work to answer your questions. I do not regret having trained WC, it was a long time ago and I have taken benifit from it as a basic training. But I still know the difference between a Pak Sao, a Gum Sao and a Chin Sao, so my analysis of your art comes from expertese in both WC and latter in JJ/BJJ/MMA training.

In post 2 of this thread I detailed a criticism of the Phon Sao video, so you can reference my notes there as well.

FSD(WC derived) trains primarily against non-resisting partners and through route memorization of numbered techniques (Phon Sao 15 etc), this does not translate to a real fighting environment because you will now be trying to remember the completely scripted response that you learned in class instead of trying to win the fight.

FSD trains long chains of memorized techniques that need to be demonstrated for an instructor without a direct relationship to fighting. You will never apply these techniques in a sparring match because they will not work.

FSD does not encourage its students to try to beat the instructor in sparring. This is hugely counter productive. A good instructor teaches his students how to beat him. Two reasons:

1) Selfish, if they get better, I will get better by fighting them.
    2) It works better if you actually teach them how to fight.

In FSD your sparring looks like piss poor kickboxing. So why dont you train kickboxing techniques during the techniques portion of the class?

School X, a randori based Jiu-Jitsu/Judo/BJJ/wrestling/boxing club spends most of its time working with resisting partners. That is guys who do more then throw one scripted punch then stop moving.

School X, trains exactly the same techniques that it then performs during randori/sparring. The techniques look the same in training and sparring and fighting and competition.

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 9:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks like the same clip over and over again.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 7:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MBM, there should be 5 different clips there, I just checked the links and they all open.

Posted On:
    4/22/2006 4:50pm

Style: wagamichi shorei kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last edited by wagamichi; 4/22/2006 4:54pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2006 8:06pm

Style: Searching for one...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is possibly the worst defense in the history of mankind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WWuY...es%20Patenaude

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2006 8:08am

Style: EX WC NOOB to MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think the, oh wait a second my shoe lace is untied attack is better than facking a hart attack, a little more realistic.....

Ah man Mr.P is such a Clown
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123