Okay, so I'll stick my neck out just to say hello. My name is Gan Uesli Starling, which you pronounce just like "John Wesley" and that bird. :hitlerdan:hitlerdan:hitlerdan:hitlerdan about that if you must, if it's original I'll even applaud (but chances are slim).

I am 50 years old, married to Karen since 1988. We have a son named Skajler. My martial arts past is hit and miss. I studied Chung Do Kwan in the 70's, Hakko Ryu in the 80's, Tang Soo Do in the 90's, Aiki-no-jutsu and Bujinkan for a bit a year or so ago. Presntly I am back in Tae Kwon Do, having just passed for 1st Gup and hoping to test for BB next September.

I don't think any except one of the schools I trained at are McDojos on accont of most of them were run after hours by instructors with decent day jobs and who generally lost money without complaint in persuit of the art for its own sake. Only one of those pretended to be a closed system, swearing students to secrecy and all that rot.

The motto of the GM for our family of schools is "If it works on me today, it's Tae Kwon Do tomorrow". Dues in our local chapter are $20 per 8 weeks. The belt ranks below black number 8 (the same as in 1973) and there are no testing fees except for black.

My hobies are programming in Perl, motorcycling, ham radio and translating science fiction into Esperanto. I am buddhist, a student of Zasep Tulku Rinpoche and Coordinator for the Lama Tsong Khapa Center in Kalamazoo Michigan. I work as a fatigue and durability test engineer for an automotive antivibration products company in Grand Rapids. I live in Kalamazoo.

That ought to be enough for you all to about on this first post.

Gan Uesli Starling
http://wmtkd.us
Kalamazoo Chapter
Wesetern Michigan Tae Kwon Do