Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2006 4:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've handled cooking spoons the size of baseball bat's, I haven't had the chance to try them out but I imagine they make decent weapons...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2006 4:57pm

Style: Yang style Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I finally got around to watching this. This is what happens when I have to work all weekend.

Good points to the video:

+Improvisational thinking, something we should all strive for.
    +Flexible response: Well aware of possible legal implications, ie disparity of force. Found ways to use weapon in a 'less harmful' manner.

Bad Points:

-Just about everything else.

It's a good theory, but the technique is weak. You start putting a lock or pinch on soneone like that, and they'll just start flailing around, probably punching you in the face several times.

Just my thoughs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/02/2006 5:18pm

Style: Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wrist take down

That sort of wrist lock with a yawara or eda koppo requires that you stretch the guy out while applying it. Yes, if you just stand there and do it, you will get punched in the face repeatedly. If you rip him forward off his feet with the increased leverage you have, then they can't punch you and if the stick is stout enough, their forearm may break.

Pinches can be useful if applied in a manner so that the opponent doesn't see it coming (hard to do with a nipple pinch). Not an ultimate weapon, just a distractor or disbalancer. In a match on the matt where everyone is aware and in the fight they are not as useful, plus 4oz gloves make them hard to do.

Though not everything is applicable in a MMA match, this does not mean that they are worthless in a SD situation. I know of somebody who did defend himself against two thugs in Atlanta using Ikkyo from Aikido. Did it text book, broke the guys wrist and the cops picked him up in an emergency room. He held his hand up like in honmei kamae and the guy DID grab his wrist, end of story. The other guy took one look at his screaming friend and ran. No, they weren't MMA trained pro heavyweights. Truth is sometimes stranger than fiction, and I wouldn't advocate Ikkyo as some sort of ultimate technique. This is just a really interesting story.

Also the wrist grab defense was explained to me to have come from knife fighting (tantojutsu in Japanese budo). The angles of the yawara techniques are the same you would use if somebody grabbed your knife hand in a battle where you had lost your longer weapons. With a knife these techniques are very ugly. Over time these techniques were applied to sticks an less lethal weapons and then codified into standard wrist grabbing techniques for ease of practice. Unfortunately this process has caused a lot of confusion on how and why these techniques are done.

The technique in the video is a classical lock poorly or incompletely demonstrated either due to a lack of knowledge or lack of time and space in frame.
    Last edited by Fnord325; 4/02/2006 5:21pm at .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123