• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2002 9:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Word up. How important is flexibility in BJJ, or grappling in general? I saw "Choke" and Rickson seems to be real flexible. Peace.

Tony

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2002 9:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    flexibility is important, but not just the ability to do the splits or something. i think it is more about having a well coordinated body that can move fluidly with strength and flexibility being part of that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2002 9:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, Musashi. I was always curious. BTW, I have been meaning to read "Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa. Is it any good. Peace.

Tony

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    8/19/2002 10:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's important, but not too important, I'm one of the least flexible people I've ever met and I don't think it hinders me too much.

Wandering Daoist

Posted On:
    8/19/2002 10:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tony: sorry if you were asking Musashi only, but about the novel, I read parts of it when I visit the local Borders occasionally, and if the Samurai trilogy is anything to go by, the book should be pretty good.

--------------------
    And that's what I call REAL Ultimate Power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "The morning glory blooms for an hour. It differs not at heart from the giant pine, which lives for a thousand years."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2002 12:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Mercurius. Actually it was addressed to everyone. I bought the book 5 years ago, got up to page 30 or so, but between beer, bars, and cable I haven't wiped off the dust on it. peace.

Tony
  7. 9chambers

Posted On:
    8/20/2002 12:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    being someone that has always been flexable I've found it gives you advantages, like - well, people get me in a hold thinking they are really cranking my arm or something and I barely feel anything - they ask, does that hurt? - and I say, no, there isn't any tension on it at all yet. Also, you can wiggle your way out of a lot of things other guys can't - plus you are a lot less likely to get injured and you can move quicker and more fluidly, you have more control.

That being said, I am sure a big guy who isn't flexable can power his way out of things instead of slipping out - learn to use what you have.

>> To be bound by traditional martial art style or styles is the way of the mindless, enslaved martial artist, but to be inspired by the traditional martial art and to achieve further heights is the way of genius. - Bruce Lee

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2002 1:54am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ,MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually I have found flexabilty to be very important. When I first started in rolling I was very very unflexable. Now that I am more limber I find it a lot easier to be able to get certain moves and be able to get out of some. I am not saying that you should go out there and do nothing but work on flexablity, but I do feel that it is essentail.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2002 5:20am

Style: BJJ, Vale Tudo, Wrestling, Sanshou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Flexibility is pretty important in my game. Since I've started, I've been stretching my wrists out and I'm pretty much invulnerable to wrist locks that bring the palm to the forearm. Also, if someone sticks their head up from scarfhold position having good flexibility will help you hook the head. This is the same for a straight arm bar from guard that your just *reaching* for.